Overweight: Payload issues with my Burstner Ixeo Motorhome (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 28, 2023
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo IT740
Exp
I'm a newbie
First motorhome and actually feel really upset after going to weighbridge. Had loaded basics but did not weigh with me or 3 dogs and weight is already 3480kg. If you add me and dogs that another 120kg and still need to add clothes and some basics. We off loaded table, dog pen and 2 chairs when we got back but that only was 28kg. Just don't know what to do. 😪

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Don’t forget with up-plating over 3,500kgs you might have additional costs for ferries and tolls - and remember to tell the insurance company.

That’s new to me although I’d definitely mention it to the insurance company but it won’t change anything.
When you uprate the Motorhome stays the same height, length and same amount of wheels.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2020
North Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2014
That’s new to me although I’d definitely mention it to the insurance company but it won’t change anything.
When you uprate the Motorhome stays the same height, length and same amount of wheels.
I’m sure the insurance say to let them know of any modifications - unlikely any additional cost but if you came to make a claim and hadn’t told them …… 🤔
oh, and it may also affect breakdown cover - you might be reliant on a standard breakdown cover which usually only cover up to 7m and 3,500kg

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Told ours, AIB, no charge and no problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chrissy Thimbals
Jul 28, 2023
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo IT740
Exp
I'm a newbie
Spare wheel weighs c32kgs. Providing you have C1 on your driving licence, I believe it’s a fairly simple job to uprate to to 3700kgs without the need for any mods to your MH.
We've taken out everything we don't really need and replating to 3700. We both have a C1 so OK

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
I have heard many times a cemetery is a good place to get water... but seriously guys come on..
We have a bad enough reputation as it is but how would you like to visit your dearly departed luv ones and have to queue up to refresh their urn before replacing flowers behind motorhome who are waiting to fill their tanks...
You are obviously not, I hope, going to overnight in cemetery carpark so will be going back on the road with full tank and therefore overweight and illegal....
So what have you achieved??? Apart from upsetting local mourners....
You are applying British rules to the French in France
When in France do what the French do... park where you want, find free aires and fill up at cemetaries where appropriate.

I would agree it sounds horrendous and something before I travelled to France I wouldnt have dreamed of doing it but then the natives point you in that direction and it seems rude not to take their advice having asked for it.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
I thought the 5% only applied to the manufacturers tolerance in the declared weight, I didn’t think it applied to the owner being 5% over weight in accordance with their license condition. I’ll stand corrected If that’s the case.

Edit:

I’ll stand corrected, interesting post here showing the tolerances.

I scan read and dont think you got an answer.

The 5% is what is given to manufacturers but is also the figure that "ACPO" advise is a tolerance to Officers on the street who are looking to fine or summons you in the same way that "ACPO" advise that speeding is 10% +2 or 3 meaning you can go 32MPH in a 30 and the likelihood is you end up with a ticket......but not guaranteed

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseStarblazer
Exp
1year
I had a similar weighbridge experience prior to my last MOT but unfortunately mine was stepping over 7.5 tonne so my licence options are trickier and get a little more expensive.

I had a big clear out to correct things and have put my dog on a diet.

Don't forget you have a 5% error margin before they fine you.

M
Be very careful.
As an ex truck driver I was heavily fined for a 2% axle overload even though I was within the gross weight

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
I scan read and dont think you got an answer.

The 5% is what is given to manufacturers but is also the figure that "ACPO" advise is a tolerance to Officers on the street who are looking to fine or summons you in the same way that "ACPO" advise that speeding is 10% +2 or 3 meaning you can go 32MPH in a 30 and the likelihood is you end up with a ticket......but not guaranteed
Only what I found online from the link I posted.

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Not much help to the Insurance Fearing, Obey Every Rule No Matter What brigade but I have been using a motorhome for fifty years(ish) and lived fulltime in one for nearly forty years and have travelled all over Europe (including Blighty) and I have never, ever, ever been weighed by anyone...

I have no idea what my van weighs.

I guess it was the way I was brought up!!!! :whistle2:

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2021
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer I
Water is heavy, roughly a kg per litre so if you can travel empty and fill up at your destination that might help you. Unfortunately I live full time in mine and wild camp most of the time so it doesnt work for me.

And you could also fill the dogs with helium......

View attachment 853169

M
Good advice. As for the quip about the dogs….QUALITY! 😂

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
dash001.jpg

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Water is heavy, roughly a kg per litre so if you can travel empty and fill up at your destination that might help you. Unfortunately I live full time in mine and wild camp most of the time so it doesnt work for me.

And you could also fill the dogs with helium......

View attachment 853169

M
I've got a nasty mental image of a balloon and what happens to the inside of your motorhome when the helium comes out with the normal thing that comes out the back of dogs!

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseStarblazer
Exp
1year
Has anyone suggested weighing the axles separately it could already be over the limit on the rear one with a towbar and so close to the total limit.
I 3way weighed my hobby, ready to roll all needs for holiday with 2 passengers and 1/2 tank water 3/4 tank fuel. 3460kg.
Individual axle weights no prob but near total weight

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Yes indeed and how many without a C1 are Knowenly driving over weight??
I suspect a lot. When researching van's we quickly realised our options on vans we liked were 4 berth autos with a C1, or 2 berth manuals. When we realised we would easily meet weight by avoiding the auto box we just went, oh well, we'll hvae to get a manual then.

I really do think this is down to dealers selling a dream van without telling them the dream van with things like drop down bed (100kg) and garage (100kg of stuff) add 200kg, and reduce their payloads from 4-500kg to 2-300 at best.

The thing is much as we all talk about it here, apart from certain ferry companies who do weight vans as they've discovered it's profitable to do so if you read on here (ie, charge them money for it), the enforcement of the weight regulations on motorhomes is very spotty. You can say same about actual trucks too -> friend truck driver has only had a VOSA inspection once in least 3 years he said (he was underweight as works for a reputable firm), but fact he's only been stopped once is my point, it's technically unlikely a lot of these people WILL be stopped.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Not much help to the Insurance Fearing, Obey Every Rule No Matter What brigade but I have been using a motorhome for fifty years(ish) and lived fulltime in one for nearly forty years and have travelled all over Europe (including Blighty) and I have never, ever, ever been weighed by anyone...

I have no idea what my van weighs.

I guess it was the way I was brought up!!!! :whistle2:

JJ :cool:
Exatamente...

In practice though I think there's often a hierarchy of obedience. The gods of payload rule supreme - how long since your last weighing ceremony? - but the lesser deities of speed limits, access restrictions and the like are less important. :LOL:

Interesting how one set of ideas takes root and flourishes. I do wonder if we have groups in Europe with different pieties - the payload-istas versus the velocidade-istas for instance. Do they frequent different aires?

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Exatamente...

In practice though I think there's often a hierarchy of obedience. The gods of payload rule supreme - how long since your last weighing ceremony? - but the lesser deities of speed limits, access restrictions and the like are less important. :LOL:

Interesting how one set of ideas takes root and flourishes. I do wonder if we have groups in Europe with different pieties - the payload-istas versus the velocidade-istas for instance. Do they frequent different aires?
Until of course something goes wrong.

At which point they will be weighing your vehicle, checking the tyres, checking the lights, the telemetry, your phone, and so on.
I have seen from very recent first hand experience that an accidental death is treated exactly like a murder scene, the road is closed for a minimum 12 hours.

The police really do go through everything, including the doorbell cams of properties a mile from the scene and every single vehicle that passed over a 10 minute period to see which ones have a dashcam fitted.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2

The police really do go through everything, including the doorbell cams of properties a mile from the scene and every single vehicle that passed over a 10 minute period to see which ones have a dashcam fitted.
To be honest now they do that for far lesser matters and the PC's involved have indicated they find Ring and other doorbell footage VERY useful in finding perpetrators. We have been asked to provide doorbell footage in our sleepy suffolk village on ~ 10 occasions in 3 years, which does make a mockery of some people saying the police don't investigate both burglery and suspcious activity (our neighbours had intruders in their gardens overnight "casing" the joint prior to a "failed" burglery attempt). After first of above events doorbell cameras (and garden) went from "one" on the street of 16 to today being a virtual CCTV land as all bar one house now has a Ring (or similar) camera.

Upvote 1
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
The thing is much as we all talk about it here, apart from certain ferry companies who do weight vans as they've discovered it's profitable to do so if you read on here (ie, charge them money for it), the enforcement of the weight regulations on motorhomes is very spotty.

I may have missed it but which ferry companies base their pricing for motorhomes/campers on weight?

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010

At which point they will be weighing your vehicle, checking the tyres, checking the lights, the telemetry, your phone, and so on.
I have seen from very recent first hand experience that an accidental death is treated exactly like a murder scene, the road is closed for a minimum 12 hours.

And of course, if one is in a vehicle which is plated more than 3.5 but one 'stealthily' travels in a 3.5 area, or exceeds the speed limits for heavier vans in Europe (eg 80 km/h vs 130 in Austria, 90 km/h vs 120 in Spain, 100 km Italy, Portugal, Germany), or one cunningly fails to use angles morts signs, and you have an incident you'll really be up a creek. And there will be no possible plea of ignorance.

Genuine question: when last did anyone see a motorhome being weighed after an accident?

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I may have missed it but which ferry companies base their pricing for motorhomes/campers on weight?
Calmac if your van is not a motorhome on the V5C as we know not all are -> but I'm sure they not only ones (they base on if you are a motorcaravan on v5c) . It's one of the things that put us off a PVC as we know not all PVC's are motorcaravans. And if (they deem) it falls into LGV catagory they require a weight declaration and do say they will weigh you and their terms say "if you are over plated weight we will refuse you" or thereabouts!.

I swear I've read somewhere, if not on here, that there have been a few threads on here about people getting charged on ferries -> and it's clear they can weigh you (as they do for commercials).

You are correct however in most charge by dimernsions on motorhomes.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
starquake is correct, PVCs may look small but they’re made of metal so they’re heavy. We’re on our 2nd 6.4m van and fully loaded with electric bikes on a towbar mounted bike rack we weighed 3520, that was the manual version. We now have the same van but an automatic. We were jam packed full including Nick’s cider to break him in gently on a winter trip. We are more careful now and know we could empty the water in a few minutes.

Upvote 1
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Increased payload is unlikely to make much difference to tolls and ferries height and length matter
Yes, the logic of it seems a bit strange to me except maybe as a money-making "gotcha".

So I travel on a 42,000 ton displacement ship, but exceed a plated weight, which they didn't know about or include in the pricing in the first place. By how much do I exceed it? For argument's by 300 kg. 0.0007% of tonnage. 7 millionths. Concentrated in the 6 metres of the ship's 3,000 lane metres that I occupy. (And this vessel doesn't fly, remember; it floats.)

Which weight didn't matter until they looked at the plate, and maybe encountered an arcane bureaucratic anomaly of vehicle registration, but now they just have to pull me over and either charge me extra or reject me?

Torquemada of the payload-istas moves in mysterious ways. 🤔

(Edit: I see Calmac have little ferries so one may need to adjust numbers mutatis mutandis, but the substance of the argument holds I think. Silly buggers, if that's what they're up to...)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Genuine question: when last did anyone see a motorhome being weighed after an accident?
The same time as they check tyre tread depth, working breaks and lights, etc.
Depending on the severity of the accident depends on how much they check,
but tyres, breaks, lights, steering and weight are the basics, even for a 'no injury' shunt where the vehicles have to be removed by transporter.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back