Nov 15, 2023
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Globecar
Exp
Since 2019
Long story, trying to keep short.
120miles into journey, van goes into limp mode, no visible warnings on dashboard.
Cooling water reservoir empty, water everywhere. Cool down, top up from kettle. Limp into nearby dealership (lucky - maybe not!) Yes we can fix that!
Dealership diagnose thermostat, replace, still overheating, possibly waterpump, BTW £790 please.
Recovery: assessor has a look - turn engine on, turn on cab heater - no heat - 'It's your water pump gov'nr', all inside 60seconds.
Recovered back to Cornwall. Fixed at my favourite garage, yes, it was the water pump. Basic.
I am considering taking action against the dealership: They misdiagnosed the problem, carried out unnecessary work, and fabricated a bill of £790.

My question is; am I wrong is claiming they should have been able to properly diagnose the problem by use of the heater?
If they didn't know this, they should have known it. The basis being that no matter what the thermostat was doing the heater will still work, if the water pump had failed there would be no water circulating to reach the heater.
I have approached the dealership who refute my claims and request for refund (partial).

OP
OP
G
Nov 15, 2023
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Globecar
Exp
Since 2019
And fir info what was the price of Cam belt change plus water pump. ? Thanks.
I had that done earlier in the year £1,018 but that was included with a full service. Charge for the 'Cam belt Kit' which include water pump, replacement seals etc was £186. Labour was £440 but unable to split the proportions of the cam-belt/service.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I would. Give them a week or ten days to respond, the start the small claims procedure. That will cost you, but you can include that as part of the claim.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G
Nov 15, 2023
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Globecar
Exp
Since 2019
Have already done the letter bit, suggesting I pay for 1hours diagnosis and requesting a refund of the remainder. The garage rebuffs the request. I'm here making sure I'm on the right track with claiming the diagnosis of the thermostat was wrong and I was billed for unnecessary work. I sent the letter to the manager of the branch, perhaps I ought to resend, this time to the CEO, as you suggest; it is a reasonably sized family chain.
Hard to tell. You tried to keep it short, but probably too short! I don't understand your timeline. Did the dealer do the work for £790?
The dealer only did the change of thermostat. Included in the £790 was £83 for roadside attendance, which I do accept.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The kit for the cam belt comes with a replacement water pump as standard.

Not so, Gates, and others, will supply with or without, whatever you order!

If what you say is true, I would be sitting here with 3 waterpumps because I always buy kits containing belt & tensioner.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G
Nov 15, 2023
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Globecar
Exp
Since 2019
I had that done earlier in the year £1,018 but that was included with a full service. Charge for the 'Cam belt Kit' which include water pump, replacement seals etc was £186. Labour was £440 but unable to split the proportions of the cam-belt/servic
Welcome. :welcome3:

This is a difficult one, because the first dealership could legitimately claim they were acting to the best of their knowledge and expertise (lacking though it might be), in order to assist you.

You might want to find out if the dealership is a member of a trade association, and if so, approach them with a grievance. Alternately, if your vehicle insurance has the legal assistance package (which I always recommend having), you could approach them for help and advice.
I have used the latter a couple of times, to my benefit.

Hope this helps.
Reply from by broker pending - thanks for the nod

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G
Nov 15, 2023
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Globecar
Exp
Since 2019
I would. Give them a week or ten days to respond, the start the small claims procedure. That will cost you, but you can include that as part of the claim.
That is indeed my next step. Have already done the letter bit, suggesting I pay for 1hours diagnosis and requesting a refund of the remainder. The garage rebuffs the request. I'm here making sure I'm on the right track with claiming the diagnosis of the thermostat was wrong and I was billed for unnecessary work. I sent the letter to the manager of the branch, perhaps I ought to resend, this time to the CEO, as you suggest; it is a reasonably sized family chain.
Citizens Advice also recommend Small Claims Court.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G
Nov 15, 2023
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Globecar
Exp
Since 2019
If an engine is low on water the heater will go cold first as the heater radiater is the highest part of the water system.
This was after a re-charge of cooling water through the header tank. (Water was reintroduced from the kettle - handy having a camper when you break down)

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Long story, trying to keep short.
120miles into journey, van goes into limp mode, no visible warnings on dashboard.
Cooling water reservoir empty, water everywhere. Cool down, top up from kettle. Limp into nearby dealership (lucky - maybe not!) Yes we can fix that!
Dealership diagnose thermostat, replace, still overheating, possibly waterpump, BTW £790 please.
Recovery: assessor has a look - turn engine on, turn on cab heater - no heat - 'It's your water pump gov'nr', all inside 60seconds.
Recovered back to Cornwall. Fixed at my favourite garage, yes, it was the water pump. Basic.
I am considering taking action against the dealership: They misdiagnosed the problem, carried out unnecessary work, and fabricated a bill of £790.

My question is; am I wrong is claiming they should have been able to properly diagnose the problem by use of the heater?
If they didn't know this, they should have known it. The basis being that no matter what the thermostat was doing the heater will still work, if the water pump had failed there would be no water circulating to reach the heater.
I have approached the dealership who refute my claims and request for refund (partial).
When the thermostat stops working an easy diagnosis is to open the radiator cap and put your finger in. If the thermostat has not opened, the water will be cold. Thermostats that cause a problem will always have failed in the closed position. If they fail while open, the engine temperature will never get up to normal running temperature. It's as simple as that. I realise that does not help you if you are not familiar with the working of an engine, but the dealer really does need to know that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
When the thermostat stops working an easy diagnosis is to open the radiator cap and put your finger in. If the thermostat has not opened, the water will be cold. Thermostats that cause a problem will always have failed in the closed position. If they fail while open, the engine temperature will never get up to normal running temperature. It's as simple as that. I realise that does not help you if you are not familiar with the working of an engine, but the dealer really does need to know that.

Sorry I have to strongly disagree with both bits of your advice.

First I would not advise anyone to stick their fingers in or even open a hot radiator cap ( if you can get to one these days as most of the time it's an expansion tank)

Secondly, unless they have drastically changed, ALL thermostats fail in the OPEN position! 🤔

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Sorry I have to strongly disagree with both bits of your advice.

First I would not advise anyone to stick their fingers in or even open a hot radiator cap ( if you can get to one these days as most of the time it's an expansion tank)

Secondly, unless they have drastically changed, ALL thermostats fail in the OPEN position! 🤔
Well just touch the radiator before you open it (if you can, as you say). Thermostats can fail in the closed position, it's not normal, but it can happen please believe me.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back