Ouch, reversed into pole, and cracked rear light panel (1 Viewer)

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Currently in Portugal. Hymer B654, 2005.
The left hand indicator isn't working, and I have checked and changed the bulb, but it isn't clicking into place.
Does anyone know what I need to repair it.
Is it just a bulb holder, or a complete new panel?
17101758941278287599585467975767.jpg17101759318495153771965982607445.jpg

Hoping someone knows the answer.

Heating isn't working, I have developed a leak, and now I have reversed into something hard.

At least the sun has started shining again:

Karen

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Do the other lights in the same cluster still work?

I don’t understand ‘isn’t clicking into place’ I presume you mean the bulb, but I would expect that to be a bayonet fitting push and twist

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Ist question re lights is are the wires still on the fittings or have they been damaged? Are you using the right bulbs? They have different fittings for stop/tail indicator bulbs, compare them to the ones you take out. Next check fuses, can't help you in that one as no idea where/what the fuse set up is on a Hymer but someone on here will know.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David

It pushes in, but won't twist into place. It is a bayonet fitting. I will ask a friend to check the brake and reversing light.

The tail light can be checked by just turning the lights on, the reversing light can be checked by turning ignition on and putting into reverse without starting the engine

If they both work I wouldn’t worry about the brake light for now

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The left hand indicator isn't working, and I have checked and changed the bulb, but it isn't clicking into place.
From the black tape in your photo I assume the light is now working but it's the panel and not the bulb that won't click into place.
Take the panel off and have a look to determine what's supposed to secure it - clips? plastic tongues moulded into the panel that may have broken off?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
So you lights are working, it's just the surround that's not clicking into place ?
Do what spriddler said

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
We have a 2007 B654 with a different light cluster. For the last couple of years the rear lh (same side as yours) has been a pain with indicator or stop light not working. Usually I clean up all of the contact points with a bit of emery paper and all is good until I hit a pothole (not before long) and the warning light on dashboard comes on again. Was at mine again on Sunday, cleaned up all contacts but still not working. I then, this time, pulled gently on the bunch of wires where they go through the inner part of the bumper/bodywork to expose a white connector with two tabs on the sides which hold the connector together. Squeeze these and pull the two halves apart to reveal the male and female connectors. I cleaned the connectors to the red wires (my brake lights) and light working again. Went out to get some electrical contact cleaner spray today to give them all a good cleaning so, hopefully, I won’t get the repeat of my problem for some time. They tend to tarnish over time especially here where spray can get at the wires. When all good I’m going to wrap connector with insulation tape.

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi
Just checked and the reversing light is working, and so are the rear lights.
It is only tge indicator bulb that isn't. I replaced it with a generic bulb from an emergency light kit.
I have noticed that the original seems to have blown, and has one filament. Tge replacement has two filaments, so may not be designed as an indicator bulb.
It's getting dark, so I will leave it until the morning, and take the cover off again.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi
It is only tge indicator bulb that isn't. I replaced it with a generic bulb from an emergency light kit.
I have noticed that the original seems to have blown, and has one filament. Tge replacement has two filaments, so may not be designed as an indicator bulb.
It's getting dark, so I will leave it until the morning, and take the cover off again.

The indicator will definitely only have a single filament , I suspect the bulb you are trying to fit will have offset pins designed not to fit in wrong place 👍

Edit- on the side of bulb fitting it will show volts and watts, probably 21W

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
I don’t know if the 2005 Hymer electrics works on the Canbus system, if it does then it will be very sensitive to the correct wattage bulbs.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi
If it has two filaments it's more than likely a stop/tail bulb.

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
I took it to Pedro's while filling up my LPG. The mechanic tested it, no power to the indicator bulb.
He said I would need a new fitting.
I called Camperserve as he suggested, but they didn't answer the phone. I have messaged them, but no reply, and now we are in Ameixal.
Does anyone know where the fuses would be.?

Sue and Rick

Free Member
Apr 20, 2022
Brighouse, UK
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 155 2016
Exp
Since 2020
Try the hazard lights. What happens with the "failed" bulb.
When you put the bad indicator on does that side flash faster than the working side?
It may have pulled the wiring from the fitting when you hit the post. Check atthe plug going into the light fitting.

On another note, did we meet you in Zaragoza early January?

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Just seen this have you got it sorted? A risk but you could try the bulb from the other side to see if it works but it may blow that one.

I think it seems a loose wire/connection. Probably a quick fix one it's located 🤞

I'd all fails ther are 3 if you be the middle van and let the others indicate for you.

Having driven behind you . You don't use them often so you should be fine without :eek:

Sorry could not resist hope it's sorted easily for you and you've got plenty of ducktape

Good luck it doesn't look too bad gives the van character 😉

Ps it wad a bollard type thing and not a Polish person I hope ...

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Just seen this have you got it sorted? A risk but you could try the bulb from the other side to see if it works but it may blow that one.

I think it seems a loose wire/connection. Probably a quick fix one it's located 🤞

I'd all fails ther are 3 if you be the middle van and let the others indicate for you.

Having driven behind you . You don't use them often so you should be fine without :eek:

Sorry could not resist hope it's sorted easily for you and you've got plenty of ducktape

Good luck it doesn't look too bad gives the van character 😉

Ps it wad a bollard type thing and not a Polish person I hope ...
Actually, it was an environmental pole. It left green paint on the light cluster!!!
I have been promoted from tail end Charlie to middle van, as I can't indicate left. Luckily we are now on very quiet roads. It was a bit scary navigating through Loule though.
There is no power to the bulb, so changing it wont make a difference.

We are on an aire in Ameixal. There are loads of vans here, mostly long termers. Free electricity, water and toilet dump, and scenic, but not much to do. I am hoping to ask around, and see if anyone is handy.
The phoenix ownee next to me was doing major work on their step yesterday.

Sorry, it wasn't me in Zaragoza. We arrived in Spain on 27th January, and didn't stop there.

I haven't "run into" any new funsters yet, this trip. 🤔

Gaffa tape is doing a great job on holding the panel on,.......

Thanks all for the advice, support and mickey taking. Much appreciated.

Karen

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
Have you tried to see if there is a connector as I described in post #9, and check if there is power to the indicator wire?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
As a temp repair on the panel, super glue mixed with baking powder works really well. If your dextrous enough, you can create clips or at least something to screw into. Or attach a bracket or clip using the same method.
My latest super glue repair at home was filling in a door hinge on a kitchen unit door. We've changed the dishwasher and the fixings coincide with the hinge holes, so filled with supper glue and baking powder, building up levels, then left it an hour and I was able to drill a pilot home and then screw the fixing to the door - voila !!

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi Dalspa
Have you tried to see if there is a connector as I described in post #9, and check if there is power to the indicator wire?
A garage mechanic tested the connection, and said, no power to the bulb. I will try to look underneath, for a connector. I am tempted to unscrew the light reflector thingy, and see if I can spot any broken wires, but worried I will just make it worse.

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
Got mine stripped down again so just taken a couple of pics to show the connector I’m referring to.

7DC5A22B-18D8-4BC4-8A51-BBD931C179CA.jpeg

415971FB-5719-4FC5-9308-51851B48EADB.jpeg

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi all
Latest update. The bulb is good, the connector has current, but under load it doesn't work. Therefore, I have been told its probably bad connection, as Dalspar has said.
Trouble is the wiring is attach3d to the chassis, and no evidence of where tge connectors might be.
Northernraider
Do you know, having had a similar vintage B654

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back