Orange lights on side-length offside + near side. (1 Viewer)

Sep 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 649
Just obtained a MOT failure because of the 3 orange body lights on either side of my Kontiki 649 were not lit when turning on the dipped headlights.
After lots of investigation and checking of electrical wiring and fuses it turns out that you have to activate the black push button to power up the living part of the motorhome so then these six orang lights come on. Can only presume they are supplied by the leisure battery and not the engine battery.
Hopefully this may assist someone else too avoid expensive labour costs investigating the ‘wiring problem’. No mention of this in the manual guides to look out for.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hello and welcome to the forum enjoy the FUN 😊
really useful info I think if I was in your position I would retire so that the came from main lighting loom🤔

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
w2f

Just obtained a MOT failure because of the 3 orange body lights on either side of my Kontiki 649 were not lit when turning on the dipped headlights.
After lots of investigation and checking of electrical wiring and fuses it turns out that you have to activate the black push button to power up the living part of the motorhome so then these six orang lights come on. Can only presume they are supplied by the leisure battery and not the engine battery.
Hopefully this may assist someone else too avoid expensive labour costs investigating the ‘wiring problem’. No mention of this in the manual guides to look out for.

There is something not right there
The marker lights should come on when you turn on the side lights and be completely independant of the leisure battery and habitation electrics.
I fear you have more investigating to do

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Interesting - may be some other fault as the orange lights on mine are independent of any interior switching except the headlight switch.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It might be worth looking into it does sound really strange I would check on one of the side lights when the hab battery is off to see if there's any power to the positive side I wonder if it's some sort of dodgy earth?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That's no right.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
That’s wonky……technical term used by real experts:ROFLMAO: . Mine come on with sidelights/ headlights,which is how they should be wired.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Is it its first mot?
Are they factory fit?
Does starting the engine cut off the habitation power turning those lights off?

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
Same on our Autocruise. If you look at the wiring diagram for your Sargent unit you'll find they are indeed wired through the unit hence you have to have it switched on.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Same on our Autocruise. If you look at the wiring diagram for your Sargent unit you'll find they are indeed wired through the unit hence you have to have it switched on.
Well that's a very lazy approach on the converters behalf. The side marker lights come with the chassis and should be wired to the vehicle electrics not the habitation box.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Ridiculous arrangement, could easily be forgotten when driving off. Perhaps they think you should have the ability to turn them on when parked on a road at night but this could be easily arranged using a changeover relay without compromising the driving use of them.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
As has been said, should switch on with the obligatory lamps.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
As has already been said
Someone at some stage has been bodging and not found the real problem.

Side and top markers on with sidelights.
Or as you have found out
An mot fail.
Good luck.

And
301308f9d44c26b8553ab57a5a53192a.gif

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I thought wisdom was that the hab side electrics should be off while the engine is on?

Ours has an annoying feature. The bed is over the cab. There are no cab lights when you open the cab door. There are overhead lights on the underside of the bed that are touch activated, but the power is from the hab electrics. So no good when you climb into the van after dark.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I thought wisdom was that the hab side electrics should be off while the engine is on?

Ours has an annoying feature. The bed is over the cab. There are no cab lights when you open the cab door. There are overhead lights on the underside of the bed that are touch activated, but the power is from the hab electrics. So no good when you climb into the van after dark.
Mine too has lights under the drop down bed fed from the hab battery but they come on when you open the front doors or activated by a switch on the dashboard. The stereo also works with ignition but can be switched on from the rear lounge or the front dinette also.

I think it's just the difference between European vans and British builds.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Mine too has lights under the drop down bed fed from the hab battery but they come on when you open the front doors or activated by a switch on the dashboard. The stereo also works with ignition but can be switched on from the rear lounge or the front dinette also.

I think it's just the difference between European vans and British builds.
It's got a €0.10 switch drilled though a random bit of dash panelling near the gearstick for the radio power toggle. Nothing useful for the lights though.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
and the side marker lights are obligatory as seen by the MOT failure.
Actually I'm not sure if that's entirely correct. I think if they are there they have to work but if not there they aren't a fail.

Because the merc vario I have at the minute doesn't have any and it should but its passed the last few mot tests and no mention of them.

That said I've not had it tested myself yet so might have been a tame mot tester
Screenshot_20220726-194422_eBay.jpg

I plan to refitt them anyway

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
By orange marker lights, I’m presuming that you mean the external side marker lights on the bodywork?
If so, these should be wired to your side lights and to your engine battery.
They should be independent to your internal lights or leisure battery.
If one is not lit, it is an MOT failure.
My first port of call would be to take the lens off and clean out the terminals and the bulb holders and spray some wd40. I once had a side of lights out and it was due to a faulty connection which was rectified by giving it a good clean.
Next would be to trace the wiring as they need to be connected to your side lights and not any after market switch.

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Richard Pearson Your marker lights will still be powered from the starter battery but if you have the PSU shutdown button off the relay that allows the marker lights to operate at the same time as the other lights with the engine running/ignition on cannot work (your fridge will also not work on any setting with the shutdown button off). The shutdown button is normally only used when in storage to avoid the PSU having a slight drain on the leisure battery over a long period.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Actually I'm not sure if that's entirely correct. I think if they are there they have to work but if not there they aren't a fail.

Because the merc vario I have at the minute doesn't have any and it should but its passed the last few mot tests and no mention of them.

That said I've not had it tested myself yet so might have been a tame mot tester View attachment 664609

I plan to refitt them anyway
Legislation here -

Think your Vario may have to have them fitted but ................?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back