Only in Spain?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
I understand that.
I do not understand the circs. I described. Do you have a comment on those and could I ask. What would you have done?
I think you already answered your question......the Spanish are wired up differently šŸ˜Ž

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
You do certainly get this, but were they commenting on English motorhomers in England? :LOL:

"I went to a CAMC site, and there was this little fascist reenactment going on - By the left quick park. Doors to the left, nose to the front, move left, slightly to the right, straighten, measure the gap, engine off."

A smallish subset of motorhomers, and other visitors, do of course behave quite badly outside their own countries. Germans, English, Dutch, French... you see it all. We've all seen it, I'm sure.

Then there are some who visit, or even live in, a country and then berate the locals. In Portugal I've seen English, French, German and Dutch people doing this. One memorable English "expat" rounded on a Portuguese estate agent who was showing me his house for turning up 5 minutes before the appointed time. And the lecture about "you people" carried on for maybe 5 minutes. The real mark of civilisation in the interaction was of course the restraint of the estate agent in enduring the onslaught with just the tiniest smile.

The test? Reverse the roles. Try that in England. Imagine the (say) French home owner in England who attacks the English estate agent in such "you clueless people" terms. It's unthinkable, obviously. But it happens here all the time.

Or the curmudgeonly old foreign farts (only a minority of whom are from the UK) who live near our village who then complain during the village summer festival season about the organised loud music until the early hours. And who agitate and disrupt. This pothole, that water supply, this internet cable, that power cut, that tree, this fence, that boundary, that gardener's loud equipment, this overgrown field, that person's old vehicle, that apparently aimless pedestrian. They bring all their petty stuff and their resentments and little codes of conduct with them, together with their attitude of superiority. And they try to divert all the community's resources to themselves.

Or the ones who will loudly opine about the character of these essentially simple but happy people who just need a bit of education.

They come over here, don't integrate, often don't learn the culture or the language, form their own little isolated communities. Who could tolerate such a thing?
I don't think I could add to your abundance of eloquence šŸ‘

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
We were laughing as not seen such behaviour until last night.
IMG_20241019_105912_HDR.jpg

This outfit turned up about 8pm, bullied the mh behind us into sharing their ehu connection got the tables and chairs out and six of them then sat partying till I managed to drop off sometime after midnight. Think they must have finally gone to bed at 3am as that's when car alarm went off!
They were up and off cycling at 8am though.
The good news though I won the latest round of the 2024 crib championship so still have a chance of my first winning season since before COVID.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
I have to own up to getting very irritated by quite a large number of Engish folks who drink, seemingly to prevent a thirst rather than to quench one, then shout, sing swear and act in a generally boorish fashion. Irritated and embarrassed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
They also have the 'anticipation gene' removed before they get into a motor car!

It gets put into a jar and remains at home until they have finished driving.

The cars they drive have to have the indicators flashing all the time and must not be driven more than ten feet from the leading car.

But I love the place!

Tony
I find the standard of driving in France and Spain far better that in uk.other than French on traffic islands..Standard of driving in uk is terrible..No one can judge vehicle widths...they drive to fast for their ability.this includes trucks and buses..its abysmal

BUSBY.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
It does certainly seem to be the Spanish way. The hours they keep is clearly a product of the country's temperature. The deeper question is why and how they have developed a culture that involves talking at such a high volume level and why they consider that behaviour that intrudes upon others is acceptable. The question I long to ask in restaurants or campsites is "Is our conversation disturbing you? If not, why do you think that yours should be such as to disturb us?" You say "I bet they werenā€™t intending to be rude" but are they really unaware that their shouting can be heard by others who have no interest in what they are saying? Isn't being thoughtless, intrusive and inconsiderate rude in every culture?
It's called being Spanish..their country their culture..UNLIKE UK where we have to consider ethnic minorities and do gooders and W.O.K.E people..We should be more English.BUSBY

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Party? I understand.
Drive into an Area at 3.20am, get out of van 30yards away, talking as you do so and then go to the furthest possible spot on the whole area and continue conversation in the one yard space between van (ours) and a stone wall 6ft high, seemingly 'hiding' and on occasions, leaning against said van I don't understand.
Well, sorry, I do actually get it. It's antisocial, ignorant and downright rude.
Blimey..hope I don't park near you on a site or aire..Live and let live is my motto and when in Rome..BUSBY
We were on one of our favourite local motorhome areas on 31 December. When the row of tables and chairs, under a marquee, began to be set up in the early evening, we packed up and left the Spanish to their celebrations.

Easier, and more pleasant, for us to do that than have no sleep as we knew it wouldn't finish by 1 am!
New years eve then..thought th whole wold celebrated that...BUSBY

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
I drove approx 100 miles today on the N232 in Spain from Benicassim north towards Teruel. I met 100ā€™s of bikers in waves of 4-6 and Iā€™m confident none were doing over 65mph even tho the roads were very quiet.
Not like the idiots in England passing you at a ton up on a busy motorway having little or no consideration for anyone who wanted to do a lane change.

Any absolute pleasure driving in Spain

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
I drove approx 100 miles today on the N232 in Spain from Benicassim north towards Teruel. I met 100ā€™s of bikers in waves of 4-6 and Iā€™m confident none were doing over 65mph even tho the roads were very quiet.
Not like the idiots in England passing you at a ton up on a busy motorway having little or no consideration for anyone who wanted to do a lane change.

Vast majority of bikers in the U.K. arenā€™t idiots either.

Keep your prejudices and discrimination to yourself please.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010

Many - I guess most - bikers ride like that. They are after all a lot more vulnerable than other road users.

When there's an annual gathering of 10s of thousands from across the continent in Faro most are well-behaved. When I've been on the Portsmouth-Satander ferry with 100s of bikers, and then encountered them on Spanish roads, most were well-behaved.

But you do have about a 30 times higher risk of being killed on a bike than in a car, per mile travelled. And of course some bikers are madmen. But a high percentage of bikers are now old farts who have been around the block a few times.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Many - I guess most - bikers ride like that. They are after all a lot more vulnerable than other road users.

When there's an annual gathering of 10s of thousands from across the continent in Faro most are well-behaved. When I've been on the Portsmouth-Satander ferry with 100s of bikers, and then encountered them on Spanish roads, most were well-behaved.

But you do have about a 30 times higher risk of being killed on a bike than in a car, per mile travelled. And of course some bikers are madmen. But a high percentage of bikers are now old farts who have been around the block a few times.
Well said mate

And yes many of us have been around the block a few times and lived to tell the tale. Despite the attempt from car driver to kill us ā€œcause I didnā€™t see youā€

Try opening your eyes mr šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Blimey..hope I don't park near you on a site or aire..Live and let live is my motto and when in Rome..BUSBY

New years eve then..thought th whole wold celebrated that...BUSBY
"Blimey..hope I don't park near you on a site or aire..Live and let live is my motto and when in Rome..BUSBY"

If you wake me up at gone 3 o'clock in the morning by talking right outside my back wall, then I can assure you, you'll meet me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back