Only in Spain?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
When in Rome ............. Many campsites in Italy forbid noisy activities and prohibit driving around the site during the siesta.

The Spanish, like other people living in Southern Europe, have adapted there lifestyle to the weather. A long break and a sleep at the hottest time of day followed by being active after nightfall is the sensible way to cope.

After all only mad dogs and English men go out in the midday sun. :LOL:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL
Live and let live I say, we are parked up on an aire in Casa Nuevas at the moment and we had a right old Spanish chatter going on last night with a few vans, we looked out and they invited us and some others over so we sat chatting til gone 3am

Likes collected
Funster No
It’s a different culture and what’s rude in the UK is not in Spain. If a Spaniard is inconveniencing you they expect you to tell them, at which point they will be mortified and try to make amends. We have found them to be incredibly kind and generous, but definitely unaware of those around them.

My daughter speaks fluent Spanish and is fairly good at Catalan. When they visit the volume goes ups considerably. I often tell them they don’t need to use a telephone to speak to anyone because they are so loud. They just look blank. If as Northernraider says the Turks are worse I might have to avoid it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I’ve been going to Spain since I was a nipper and love the people and country , I’ve only had one bad experience ( with some nutter in a gym who berated me for not being able to speak fluent Spanish whilst visiting Spain ) but I dealt with him .
They certainly know how to party and enjoy themselves !

Likes collected
Funster No
Live and let live I say, we are parked up on an aire in Casa Nuevas at the moment and we had a right old Spanish chatter going on last night with a few vans, we looked out and they invited us and some others over so we sat chatting til gone 3am
Sounds about right.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Being 'foreign' has nothing to do with it.
It's got to be bad manners to stand in the yard or metre behind a van (a stone wall beyond that) at 3.30 in the morning talking to the discomfort of the people who WERE sleeping in the van.
Especially so when they were not staying.
Was this at a paying campsite?

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Go to Norway when it’s the Midnight Sun period!! They have 3 months of darkness so they are going to enjoy themselves, they are outside their vans at 3 and 4 am music on laughing, jet skis on the harbour with music blaring at the same time. One morning in Hammerfest at 7am this song started booming out over the marina but it was a real jolly Norwegian song? we just lay there laughing it finished and went silent again we were like what the hell was that about?.
We were on a small harbour up near Nordcapp and a coach pulled up alongside us at about 02:45 next thing 50 or so Korean/Japanese got off took a million photos smoked some cigs and 15 mins later they were gone, another turned up at 06:00 all doing midnight sun trips from the cruise ships.
Brilliant place wouldn’t hesitate to go again.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Parked up for the night in Loja.
It's a lovely Area, just behind the Sports centre and just after 3am.

A van (not a conversion) pulls in, much opening and closing of doors and a conversation strikes up. No raised voices but yada, yada, yada.
I looked out but couldn't see anyone.
After a time I'd had enough so I opened the door to find a couple having what to them was normal behaviour having a chat as if the Sun was shining.
I opened the door and after half blinding them with a torch pointed out that I was not happy.
They moved off but carried on discussing, whatever.
Forget Mars and Venus. I swear the Spanish are wired up differently.
It would seem like ignorance isn't confined to the UK

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013

A van (not a conversion) pulls in, much opening and closing of doors and a conversation strikes up. No raised voices but yada, yada, yada.
After a time I'd had enough so I opened the door to find a couple having what to them was normal behaviour having a chat as if the Sun was shining.
I opened the door and after half blinding them with a torch pointed out that I was not happy.
We stay at Cabopino every year, and the locals come to the campsite to enjoy their holidays (obviously, not staying as long as we do). The different families join each other to eat, drink and chat, long into the night. They are quite noisy, but it's their way of life and their country. All part of the rich experience of travelling to different countries, and seeing how others live. ❤️

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We stay at Cabopino every year, and the locals come to the campsite to enjoy their holidays (obviously, not staying as long as we do). The different families join each other to eat, drink and chat, long into the night. They are quite noisy, but it's their way of life and their country. All part of the rich experience of travelling to different countries, and seeing how others live. ❤️
I understand that.
I do not understand the circs. I described. Do you have a comment on those and could I ask. What would you have done?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We are on an Autocaravan stop at Rota last night 1am two VW campers came in both young family's kids running about loud talking doors constantly slamming, now they have left at 10:30.

I slept thought it but it woke Mi up she was muttering about it eairler I just said "it's Spain". I said to her you should have opened the window and said something.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
It's got to be bad manners to stand in the yard or metre behind a van (a stone wall beyond that) at 3.30 in the morning talking to the discomfort of the people who WERE sleeping in the van.
You should have put that in the OP! That's wierd AF. Maybe they were 'trading' and/or had a bit of the merchandise beforehand. :oops:

Kevin R

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler Glendale
Exp
Since 2002

Europe has many different cultures but unfortunately inconsiderate people seem to pop up everywhere once in awhile.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
You should have put that in the OP! That's wierd AF. Maybe they were 'trading' and/or had a bit of the merchandise beforehand. :oops:
Have a look at when I posted the OP.
I didn't go to bed and post the following morning.
The post was done, "contemporaneously" and as a consequence maybe not perfectly litterate.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
It can't be easy sleeping at night when you have a siesta every day. I've got trouble sleeping past 4am every day without having a siesta ;)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Strange, just read comments on a Spanish Motorhome forum about rude English motorhomers making a huge amount of noise at an ungodly time of 8am 😂😂😂😂

You do certainly get this, but were they commenting on English motorhomers in England? :LOL:

"I went to a CAMC site, and there was this little fascist reenactment going on - By the left quick park. Doors to the left, nose to the front, move left, slightly to the right, straighten, measure the gap, engine off."

A smallish subset of motorhomers, and other visitors, do of course behave quite badly outside their own countries. Germans, English, Dutch, French... you see it all. We've all seen it, I'm sure.

Then there are some who visit, or even live in, a country and then berate the locals. In Portugal I've seen English, French, German and Dutch people doing this. One memorable English "expat" rounded on a Portuguese estate agent who was showing me his house for turning up 5 minutes before the appointed time. And the lecture about "you people" carried on for maybe 5 minutes. The real mark of civilisation in the interaction was of course the restraint of the estate agent in enduring the onslaught with just the tiniest smile.

The test? Reverse the roles. Try that in England. Imagine the (say) French home owner in England who attacks the English estate agent in such "you clueless people" terms. It's unthinkable, obviously. But it happens here all the time.

Or the curmudgeonly old foreign farts (only a minority of whom are from the UK) who live near our village who then complain during the village summer festival season about the organised loud music until the early hours. And who agitate and disrupt. This pothole, that water supply, this internet cable, that power cut, that tree, this fence, that boundary, that gardener's loud equipment, this overgrown field, that person's old vehicle, that apparently aimless pedestrian. They bring all their petty stuff and their resentments and little codes of conduct with them, together with their attitude of superiority. And they try to divert all the community's resources to themselves.

Or the ones who will loudly opine about the character of these essentially simple but happy people who just need a bit of education.

They come over here, don't integrate, often don't learn the culture or the language, form their own little isolated communities. Who could tolerate such a thing?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
Have a look at when I posted the OP.
I didn't go to bed and post the following morning.
The post was done, "contemporaneously" and as a consequence maybe not perfectly litterate.
Sorry. It wasn't a 'dig'. It was just I (and I think others also) hadn't 'got' just how out of order they were until the 'between your van and the wall' post. You have my symathies, if that happened to me my hands would be shaking too bad to type!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Well, sorry, I do actually get it. It's antisocial, ignorant and downright rude.
As has been said numerous times you do not.It is normal for them .Happens anywhere they can park for free.they pull up sometimes just for a rest,smoke lean on anything anywhere & talk at the top of their voices.
AS jumar said it winds me up at times but occasionally I might say something but usually it stops & they go.

& no it isn't antisocial ,ignorant & downright rude it is completely normal.To them it is the middle of the day.
I've even had it once & it was the Guardia making all the noise having just stopped for breaks & smokes.

You can be on a deserted beach and a Spanish couple/family arrive. They come and set up almost on top of you.
That one always makes me laugh having had it happen to us. Then next lot are again doing the same until eventually you are in the centre of a huge encampment.:LOL:

As to going out the girl next door used to knock around 10,30-11pm for my daughter to go out at weekends?? Return around 5 or 6am.

Then another friend moved here up near Cehign. In laws came up from Malaga to help.Father in law said to me " there was a knock at the door around midnight ,I opened it & the two lads over the road asked if Aaron & Ben could come out to play football"?:rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back