NT Property parking

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Yes, several. My son and DIL have stayed at three this year. All have been busy. 5 unit CL type sites with CDP and water plus some with EHU. Toilets when the property is open. Not suitable for many Funsters though at around £35 a night. :tounge:
Stourhead
Western Dairy Farm
Kingston Lacey

My son thinks you don't have to be a NT member.

Put 'NT camp sites' into Google, then choose the 'Caravans, Motorhomes' page.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Some are trialling it but it’s a 6m limit for the one I saw. 😔

Upvote 2

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes, several. My son and DIL have stayed at three this year. All have been busy. 5 unit CL type sites with CDP and water plus some with EHU. Toilets when the property is open. Not suitable for many Funsters though at around £35 a night. :tounge:
Stourhead
Western Dairy Farm
Kingston Lacey

NT have always had camp sites there are a couple in the Lake District.

Its parking overnight at their historic sites the question is about.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Its parking overnight at their historic sites the question is about.
You're right; I was a bit off-centre with my interpretation as I was thinking primarily of the ones like these which include 'free' entry to houses and grounds of interest.
Both are fully booked for about the next 2 to 3 weeks (at £37 and £38 per night)..

1720513329731.png

1720513378096.png

Upvote 0

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
They said they would look into it, but all that happened is that they set up CLs at a couple of locations above and started charging the earth. People apparently use them a lot, so they now know that they don’t have to bother with the original idea, which was to open SOME empty car parks to bona-fide paid up members for overnighting, for a £5-£10 fee.

It’s typical NT obfustication, I’m afraid. The fusty leadership just don’t like motorhomes.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Their campsites are always full at season peaks, it seems. I was parked at nearby Stourhead once and was very late to leave. We were tucked away and did wonder would they notice? There was another camper nearby that seemed to be staying.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
They said they would look into it, but all that happened is that they set up CLs at a couple of locations above and started charging the earth. People apparently use them a lot, so they now know that they don’t have to bother with the original idea, which was to open SOME empty car parks to bona-fide paid up members for overnighting, for a £5-£10 fee.

It’s typical NT obfustication, I’m afraid. The fusty leadership just don’t like motorhomes.
Those CL were already there but instead of the £12-£14 a night they are now much more.

There are a few car parks you can use overnight Aira force in lakes is one we used for a tenner.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
My DIL has been a manager at the NT property of Petworth House for two years and was involved in initial discussions about opening their car parks for overnighting so when she gets home I'll ask her if she has any 'inside' information.
IIRC there were concerns about security (employing overnight wardens) and the 'Do as yer likey' community.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
They did a trial with a couple of carparks being opened for overnighting a couple of years ago and at least one of them was closed again due to the inability of so many people using them to stick to what they were asked. (In terms of the spaces being places to park, NOT places to set up as though on a camp site; taking litter home, not using fires, respecting the stated limit to the number of vans allowed to stay etc.) These are the sadly quite numerous campervan/MH owners who seem to think they have 'rights', but at the same time acknowledge no-one else's, and are often proud of the fact that they totally disregard local restrictions. NT property is private land, and it's entirely up to the Trust whether or not they allow people to overnight there.

No, they don't like the many entitled MH owners (and I don't mean to infer you're one of them ManTheVan) who are much more hassle than they're worth when it comes to allowing them to overnight.

It starts with people asking to just stop overnight. Then there's fuss about access to water, and to Elsan disposal. I've seen this progression on a non-NT UK 5-van stop, where despite there BEING black waste disposal, MH owners STILL use the toilets (where there are very clear signs saying NOT to do this as it blocks the pipes), and where I've had to stop people pulling up manhole covers in the car park to dispose of their waste that way! And by the feedback from friends who live overlooking the area, vans routinely arrive late and leave early in order to avoid paying the nominal fee. So I can quite understand why ANY company or landowner wouldn't be rushing to encourage overnight stays on their property unless they can, as is the case with pubs, be kept a close eye on either personally or via CCTV. There are just too many freeloading t*$$£rs, unfortunately.

Upvote 0

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
They did a trial with a couple of carparks being opened for overnighting a couple of years ago and at least one of them was closed again due to the inability of so many people using them to stick to what they were asked. (In terms of the spaces being places to park, NOT places to set up as though on a camp site; taking litter home, not using fires, respecting the stated limit to the number of vans allowed to stay etc.) These are the sadly quite numerous campervan/MH owners who seem to think they have 'rights', but at the same time acknowledge no-one else's, and are often proud of the fact that they totally disregard local restrictions. NT property is private land, and it's entirely up to the Trust whether or not they allow people to overnight there.

No, they don't like the many entitled MH owners (and I don't mean to infer you're one of them ManTheVan) who are much more hassle than they're worth when it comes to allowing them to overnight.

It starts with people asking to just stop overnight. Then there's fuss about access to water, and to Elsan disposal. I've seen this progression on a non-NT UK 5-van stop, where despite there BEING black waste disposal, MH owners STILL use the toilets (where there are very clear signs saying NOT to do this as it blocks the pipes), and where I've had to stop people pulling up manhole covers in the car park to dispose of their waste that way! And by the feedback from friends who live overlooking the area, vans routinely arrive late and leave early in order to avoid paying the nominal fee. So I can quite understand why ANY company or landowner wouldn't be rushing to encourage overnight stays on their property unless they can, as is the case with pubs, be kept a close eye on either personally or via CCTV. There are just too many freeloading t*$$£rs, unfortunately.
Fair enough, which is why, in my proposal to them, I suggested that they open only to bona-fide members who agree to submit to an inspection to prove that their vehicle is self-contained (I.e. has sufficient water reserves, grey waste holding tank and toilet) and on payment of a suggested additional motorhoming membership fee of £50. The proposal was for single-night stopovers and required no extra facilities being laid on. These measures were designed to provide confidence in potential users and weed out potential abusers.

As private landowners, the Trust could issue parking charge notices to those parking unauthorised, or for breaches of the agreement.

The proposal meant that this initiative would at least have washed its own face and, in all likelihood, have led to a useful extra income for individual properties.

The overnighting initiative at Aira Force works. The forestry scheme works. The Powys car parks overnighting scheme works. Britstops works. All without the imagined horrors cited as reasons not to pursue the scheme. Why would it not work at Trust properties too?

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Is this still operating? No mention of it on the National Trust app for the location.
Just looked on SFS and looks like it was too popular and ended on March 1st.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
Is this still operating? No mention of it on the National Trust app for the location.
No. It was trialed as a limited van stopover at Aira Force and in Langdale car parks. These two parks have toilets and the NT didn't want any parks without toilets in the trial.
Aira Force was limited to 8 spaces for MH overnight using the small car spaces at £10, so not large MH, which was a great initiative by the NT.
We stayed there one evening in our VW T4 and we're the first on site. By10pm there were 18 vans, (some of them were very large A class taking up multiple car parking spaces) in residence. Many set up chairs etc and treated it like a camp site, which again was not what the NT intended in thier trial offering.
No wonder the trial did not make it beyond the trial period. Sometimes some of our fraternity are our own worst enemies!...........

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
in my proposal to them, I suggested that they open only to bona-fide members who agree to submit to an inspection to prove that their vehicle is self-contained (I.e. has sufficient water reserves, grey waste holding tank and toilet)
There are some paid staff but they rely heavily on volunteers (who may or may not turn up). The properties generally close around 5pm although the grounds (if any) remain open for longer. The NT would have to employ two robust shift workers with the knowledge to inspect the vehicle's facilities and to 'police' the car park from early until late, maybe 8 a.m. to 10p.m. It would not only be loss-making to do that for say ten m/homes @ £10 a night but also an admin chore (taking payment with a hand held c/card machine - no cash accepted) and a risk of Do-As-Yer-Likeys arriving. Having just one person alone on site (especially at night) would be undesirable and may not comply with their own H&S policy.
My DIL has worked at an NT property for 4 years and they occasionally put (reluctant) staff at the car park to do spot checks (even those with automatic entry barriers) during opening hours. It can be a most unpleasant assignment due to the sometimes arrogant and abusive daytime visitors, even NT members.

Upvote 0

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
There are some paid staff but they rely heavily on volunteers (who may or may not turn up). The properties generally close around 5pm although the grounds (if any) remain open for longer. The NT would have to employ two robust shift workers with the knowledge to inspect the vehicle's facilities and to 'police' the car park from early until late, maybe 8 a.m. to 10p.m. It would not only be loss-making to do that for say ten m/homes @ £10 a night but also an admin chore (taking payment with a hand held c/card machine - no cash accepted) and a risk of Do-As-Yer-Likeys arriving. Having just one person alone on site (especially at night) would be undesirable and may not comply with their own H&S policy.
My DIL has worked at an NT property for 4 years and they occasionally put (reluctant) staff at the car park to do spot checks (even those with automatic entry barriers) during opening hours. It can be a most unpleasant assignment due to the sometimes arrogant and abusive daytime visitors, even NT members.
Understood. The inspection/certification was meant to be a one-off verification, which is then followed (and paid for by) the additional motorhoming membership supplement. Payment for parking can then be made by card at a machine or via an app (the car parks nearly all have payment machines anyway).

As I said previously, the Trust could quite easily levy a penalty charge for unauthorised parking, exactly as most other private parking areas do already.

All this is academic, as they obviously decided that an automated system was far too much hassle and didn’t want/need the extra income it would provide. I guess all the 2nd hand book shops that have mushroomed in most properties must be more lucrative!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E720
Exp
Since 2020 - caravanned for 30 years before that
NT have loads of space and if it was in EU they would welcome you with open arms and provide parking and facilities

But then NT is another woke, jobsworth stodgy behind the times British quango
From what I understand, from a property manager, the issue is insurance and security plus managing the campsite. They've already had issues with entitled motorhomers parking across disabled spaces and dumping grey waste at her property, there are designated large vehicle spaces. In my experience staff are helpful if approached with politeness.

Upvote 1

Ralphey

Visiting Coventry
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
NT have loads of space and if it was in EU they would welcome you with open arms and provide parking and facilities

On the button 😄

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
I see a lot of excuses why NT wont do it or failed schemes they have tried , but a German or French type MH only area say for 12 - 20 vans up to 10m and an automated barrier with grey , black and fresh water accessed by an App or card , simples

They already make hardstand carparks with automated parking so nothing special , just add in a waste drain and a sewage drain and a water tap unit they can buy it from France it not rocket science

why can they do it in EU but not here , and in NTs case they have plenty of space to do it already so no excuse really just RED tape , and inertia and negative attitudes

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You're right; I was a bit off-centre with my interpretation as I was thinking primarily of the ones like these which include 'free' entry to houses and grounds of interest.
Both are fully booked for about the next 2 to 3 weeks (at £37 and £38 per night)..

View attachment 920842

View attachment 920843
Kingston Lacy is beautiful. The motorhome pitches are 8m by 8m so as long as you can get in you should be ok
IMG_1680.png

Upvote 0

CJK

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2009
Stourhead
Western Dairy Farm
Kingston Lacey

Aaagh - 5 quid only a few years ago.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016

TBH I've only been to 1 or 2 chateau in the EU where you are allowed to overnight or there's a specific aire.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back