New Teltonika RUTX50 and A-MIMO-3-V2-17 - Poynting 7-in-1 Antenna Abysmal Download Speeds (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

brocola

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2020
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Since 2020
Only had my X50 connected via a Poynting MIMO3 for a couple of months, only a few trips in the new van. Previous van was X50 connected to a Panorama 2x2. Had had a vague feeling the MIMO3 might be slower but no real evidence yet.

I’ve just been out and checked the cables - mine were connected the “wrong but doesn’t matter” way doh!

Switched them around to the “right but doesn’t matter” way and surprising results.

Appreciate this isn’t very scientific, could just be less congestion in the 3 mins it took me to swap the cables and reboot.

IMG_7812.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Are tmyou using a phone sim or a data sim?
I found I was getting appuling speeds with a phone sim in both Huawei 5577 & RUT950

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Only had my X50 connected via a Poynting MIMO3 for a couple of months, only a few trips in the new van. Previous van was X50 connected to a Panorama 2x2. Had had a vague feeling the MIMO3 might be slower but no real evidence yet.

I’ve just been out and checked the cables - mine were connected the “wrong but doesn’t matter” way doh!

Switched them around to the “right but doesn’t matter” way and surprising results.

Appreciate this isn’t very scientific, could just be less congestion in the 3 mins it took me to swap the cables and reboot.

View attachment 914474
which cables are in which port now? i will replicate it and see if mine shows improvement

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Are tmyou using a phone sim or a data sim?
I found I was getting appuling speeds with a phone sim in both Huawei 5577 & RUT950
Been using the same sim for a very long time and in my previous Huawei mifi with 2 antenna ports and the existing mifi ZTE MU5001 the sim performs very well just not in this RUTX50. It is a voice sim, but i would expect it to perform badly in all the mifi's if this was related to it not being a data sim. I can't 100% rule anything out but i did expect a lot more from this kit especially considering the cost.

brocola

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2020
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Since 2020
which cables are in which port now? i will replicate it and see if mine shows improvement
Not sure it’ll make a difference to your issue as that sounds more fundamental, but worth a try.

Teltonika 1: Cell 1 Main
Teltonika 2: Cell 1 Aux/Div
Teltonika 3: Cell 2 Aux/Div
Teltonika 4: Cell 2 Main

• Informative
Reactions: zac
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Not sure it’ll make a difference to your issue as that sounds more fundamental, but worth a try.

Teltonika 1: Cell 1 Main
Teltonika 2: Cell 1 Aux/Div
Teltonika 3: Cell 2 Aux/Div
Teltonika 4: Cell 2 Main
I will give that a go and see what happens, worth trying anything at this stage.

brocola

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2020
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Since 2020
I don’t suppose your mifi will tell you what band and tower it’s using? Might just give you some more insight e.g. if it’s locking onto a different tower or band.

I can see you tried with the Teltonika rubber ducky antennas - does it get worse if you repeat with no antennas whatsoever plugged into the X50?

Logically you’d expect it to, but who knows with LTE signals. Some might say LTE is even more temperamental than Mrs Brocola, of course I would chastise them for such an inappropriate statement.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I don’t suppose your mifi will tell you what band and tower it’s using? Might just give you some more insight e.g. if it’s locking onto a different tower or band.

I can see you tried with the Teltonika rubber ducky antennas - does it get worse if you repeat with no antennas whatsoever plugged into the X50?

Logically you’d expect it to, but who knows with LTE signals. Some might say LTE is even more temperamental than Mrs Brocola, of course I would chastise them for such an inappropriate statement.
No info on bands on the mifi, its quite basic and the Rutx50 does give you so much information, most i would never probably use but its always nice to have. Not tried it with no antenna's as that surely shouldn't make a difference, i do like the features of this router but if it doesnt increase on the download speed it will not be staying.

I will see if i can get another sim just to see if its related to EE where i live but i cant see that to be honest but i am willing to try anything.

brocola

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2020
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Since 2020
Not tried it with no antenna's as that surely shouldn't make a difference
It should be significantly worse with no antennas plugged in. If it’s roughly the same, would seem to indicate an antenna (or antenna connection/SMA) problem.

Logically you’d expect the following:
No antenna = worst
Teltonika rubber duckies inside van = less worse
Poynting outside van = better

Either way might help you gather some more evidence.

Probably doesn’t apply in your scenario, but the other variable which can confuse testing is the LTE modem hardware in the device. From my research, that’s a common reason for “but my iPhone/Android gets a faster speedtest”. Phone manufacturers seem to use more recent LTE chips which support more standards and bands in their modems, often using emerging chipsets which take a year to two to cascade into router orientated devices. Wouldn’t have thought that’s your issue, you’d expect the X50 to be able to hold its own.

• Informative
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Is there a setting on your Teltonika for external antenna?
I wasnt impressed with my RUT 955 when i had one. Swapped it for a Huawei B535 router which i found much better.
Used a Poynting mimo v 12 antenna with both.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Is there a setting on your Teltonika for external antenna?
I wasnt impressed with my RUT 955 when i had one. Swapped it for a Huawei B535 router which i found much better.
Used a Poynting mimo v 12 antenna with both.
Not that i have seen but this thing is new to me but i have not seen anything in the webui, the RUT955 i suspect is similar but this is their latest 5G supported device so i would really expect this to be flying not crawling.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Your Teltonika is a UK specced model I presume.
I seem to recall reading that some models destined for foreign markets have found their way to our shores... and consequently don't have the correct bands.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been using the same sim for a very long time and in my previous Huawei mifi with 2 antenna ports and the existing mifi ZTE MU5001 the sim performs very well just not in this RUTX50. It is a voice sim, but i would expect it to perform badly in all the mifi's if this was related to it not being a data sim. I can't 100% rule anything out but i did expect a lot more from this kit especially considering the cost.
I used to get excellant results with my Huawei 5577 with Poynting MIMO then last year it went to pot was getting 6 - 12 mb/s in the Mifi and 35 - 95mb/s in the phone. That's why I bought the RUT950 I thought the Mifi was faulty but results were the same.
I wonder if networks can't detect all routers so you get away with a phone sim in some.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Mar 14, 2011
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Itineo A Class
Exp
10yrs
No info on bands on the mifi, its quite basic and the Rutx50 does give you so much information, most i would never probably use but its always nice to have. Not tried it with no antenna's as that surely shouldn't make a difference, i do like the features of this router but if it doesnt increase on the download speed it will not be staying.

I will see if i can get another sim just to see if its related to EE where i live but i cant see that to be honest but i am willing to try anything.
There is a good website to show you what mobile service is available in your area - cellmapper.net
Enter your location and which carrier (EE) and it shows the closest transmitter and the bands it uses.
Band 20 is often heavily congested so if your local transmitter has multiple bands you can select others (i.e. in my case switch from band 20 to band 3).
But this really is the realm of nerds and the MiFI systems should be Plug'n'Play..this is a last resort, trying to get something at a Festival type scenario

1719475873051.png

I'd suggest an RMA and try and new unit to rule out hardware issues

If that doesnt work, then its definately something in your config - I can send you a copy of my (working) config for EE, but unsure if it will work as I'm on 07.06.10 firmware (I'm intentionally always 1 or 2 releases behind)

• Informative
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I had an email back from Solwise but it was not helpful so i have replied to them asking for some additional assistance in resolving this as for me this is not fit for purpose. In regard to the signal i have already tested with a mifi unit right next to where the rutx50 is and its pulling in 10x more but on the Rut i can see that its only listing one band which is LTE B3 band 20, i suspect this is the issue but why can my mifi work as expected but not this one

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Sounds like antenna ports not working or faulty device to me. Get it swapped. (Given it also doesn't work with the stubby antennas, which should be better than the internal ones in the mifi).

You would be advised to know how to disable band 20 for some areas (North Norfolk) as you will find it so congested to be unusable at many times of year on both EE and Three... but you do need to know how to re-enable it if you visit a rare campsite with zero band 3 signal.

Only other thing that may be an issue I guess is if you've accidentally configured it to ONLY use band 20. This is also possible, on devices I manage, Mikrotik, Teltonica and other brands, I always leave everything eneabled (all bands) when troubleshooting.

Only other thing I can quickly think of is have you upgraded the firmware already? The firmware on many devices includes modem upgrades... some cell towers will refuse to use "newer" communciation protocols unless they see the modem firmware is "relatively up to date".. as bugs in radio stacks sometimes make things worse for other customers if they don't do this in some cases. The X50 is realtively new so I really doubt it's this outlyer.

• Informative
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Sounds like antenna ports not working or faulty device to me. Get it swapped. (Given it also doesn't work with the stubby antennas, which should be better than the internal ones in the mifi).

You would be advised to know how to disable band 20 for some areas (North Norfolk) as you will find it so congested to be unusable at many times of year on both EE and Three... but you do need to know how to re-enable it if you visit a rare campsite with zero band 3 signal.

Only other thing that may be an issue I guess is if you've accidentally configured it to ONLY use band 20. This is also possible, on devices I manage, Mikrotik, Teltonica and other brands, I always leave everything eneabled (all bands) when troubleshooting.

Only other thing I can quickly think of is have you upgraded the firmware already? The firmware on many devices includes modem upgrades... some cell towers will refuse to use "newer" communciation protocols unless they see the modem firmware is "relatively up to date".. as bugs in radio stacks sometimes make things worse for other customers if they don't do this in some cases. The X50 is realtively new so I really doubt it's this outlyer.
i updated it when i installed it as i brought it a few months back but did not get to fit it as needed to swap out the roof antenna's, solwise have come back again today as they are the man in the middle between me and teltonika and they have sent over a beta modem firmware so will flash that and see how it goes. Not happy with the other part of the email though as it says to move the antenna to a better place which is of course not possible when you are using a fixed roof antenna and i dont see how this is relevant when my mifi right next to it seems to work fine.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
i updated it when i installed it as i brought it a few months back but did not get to fit it as needed to swap out the roof antenna's, solwise have come back again today as they are the man in the middle between me and teltonika and they have sent over a beta modem firmware so will flash that and see how it goes. Not happy with the other part of the email though as it says to move the antenna to a better place which is of course not possible when you are using a fixed roof antenna and i dont see how this is relevant when my mifi right next to it seems to work fine.
Indeed if mifi using exact sam sim, it's 100% the router/antenna ports or config.
Fact you've tried with the multiple antenna indicates to me at least it's likely a fault, but it wouldn't be the first time I've seen needing beta firmware for a 5g device (or 4g). For reference there have been 28 modem firmwares on the Mikrotik devices I use for 4g today since I installed my earliest one!

brocola

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2020
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Since 2020
zac your EE sim isn't a Scancom sim is it?

Seen some reports in Amazon reviews of Scancom EE sims not working at all in certain models of routers.

The comments don't mention Teltonika, so might not be relevant to you as they seem to indicate a fatal problem, not poor signal.

"We have had many users experience difficulties with 4 different makes of routers:
Huawei
TP Link
ZTE
GL-X3000.
It is something to do with their settings that does not fully allow the EE sims to function".

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2

Seen some reports in Amazon reviews of Scancom EE sims not working at all in certain models of routers.
I think this may be user error, I can confirm I've had scancom EE sims working fine in both ZTE, Teltonica, many Mikrotiks.
My own EE sim is a scancom EE in a ZTE -> and have used it succesfully for months. (well 11 now). I've used scancom EE sims for over 6 years but most of mine are in Mikrotiks.

Only one I've not tried it in is a Huawei device as I don't have any...

The issue is Scancom sell some "phone" class sims (if it's includes phone calls it's a phone sim) alongside their data, and I suspect a lot of issues are down to that. Equally their sims DO require some common sense as you do need to know how to configure the APN for EE correctly on "some" of the above devices as they don't automatically pick it up from the sim.

The above is also true of many EE sims direct from EE.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I'm not sure if this helps or not but I have an EE unlimited as fast as available sim in a ZTE MF286D, I originally set it up with the EE APN and it connected to EE fine and I was getting good speeds, however now it reports it's connected to BT, I still get good speeds so haven't had a look to see if the APN has changed but maybe you could try a BT APN to see if it helps? My device and speeds below. No external antenna.

Screenshot_20240627-154811_Speedtest.jpg

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013

The comments don't mention Teltonika, so might not be relevant to you as they seem to indicate a fatal problem, not poor signal.

"We have had many users experience difficulties with 4 different makes of routers:
Huawei
TP Link
ZTE
GL-X3000.
It is something to do with their settings that does not fully allow the EE sims to function".
Not Scancom no but thanks for checking

Mar 14, 2011
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Itineo A Class
Exp
10yrs
Slightly nerdy, but I'd be interested to know what Firmware version you're currently on and also that of the Beta Firmware...

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Slightly nerdy, but I'd be interested to know what Firmware version you're currently on and also that of the Beta Firmware...
Upgraded the modem this evening with no improvement but the info you are after is below, I think

Device: RUTX50
Kernel: 5.10.210
Firmware: RUTX_R_00.07.07.2
Build: ac426cafeed
Build date: 2024-06-10 13:27:01
Firmware version - "RG501QEUAAR12A10M4G_04.200.04.200"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries