Need advice with recently purchased 2005 motorhome (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 9, 2023
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star
Hello

Last week we collected our new to us 2005 Ci Cipro Garage Motorhome

As we drove it home the passenger side electric window & mirror stopped working as well as one of the rear indicator.

On the next day I also noticed that the main roof skylight was cracked & a corner missing.

So we contacted the dealer who agreed for us to take it to our local Motorhome repairer to get a quote & hopefully fix all the faults/issues (under the 3 months warranty).

They were happy with the quote provided to repair the window/mirror & indicator but didn’t accept the £900 quote to replace the heki 700x500 skylight.

The garage alighted that the high quote was due to the fact that there’s al lot labouring involved to remove the current one as it’s sealed & then found the entire roof it’s been painted with something they even weren’t sure of what it is exactly (see photos)

The garage has made me worry so much as they stated that it looks like something that is used to repair cracked shower tray & baths and if that’s the case it could be there to mask something underneath 😩😩

Plus they also alighted (I didn’t notice this ) the fact the rear panel it’s swallowed in one area. Not sure what caused this either.

THEIR ADVICE WAS, SINCE I ONLY HAD IT FOR A WWEK TO TAKE IT BACK AND ASKED FOR A FULL REFUND .

Now we knew buying a 18 year Motorhome wouldn’t come in pristine conditions and it would have its own little problems etc but as this is our first van we didn’t really know either what to look out for. That’s why we decided to buy from a dealer rather then private.

Just need some advice from you more expert Motorhome owners.

• Does anyone know what the material used on the roof and why could it be applied ?
  • the back panel, what caused this ?

ALL IN ALL WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

IMG_5203.jpeg IMG_5204.jpeg IMG_5205.jpeg IMG_5206.jpeg IMG_5207.jpeg IMG_5208.jpeg IMG_5209.jpeg IMG_5212.jpeg IMG_5213.jpeg IMG_5226.jpeg IMG_5218.jpeg IMG_5217.jpeg IMG_5216.jpeg IMG_5215.jpeg IMG_5211.jpeg

• HeartHug
Reactions: HKF

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The roof looks like it's been coated with a rubberised coating they use on RV's. Also looks recently done so it may have had a leaking roof.
I think the inside needs carefully checking for damp.

Providing the rear panel is not delaminating it's probably not a problem.

The roof would be enough for me to take it back for a refund.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 9, 2023
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star
You
The roof looks like it's been coated with a rubberised coating they use on RV's. Also looks recently done so it may have had a leaking roof.
I think the inside needs carefully checking for damp.

Providing the rear panel is not delaminating it's probably not a problem.

The roof would be enough for me to take it back for a refund.
Before collecting it the initial hab report showed damp on back wall/panel. This was repaired before us collecting it and new hav report then showing back wall 12% moisture reading. So the deformed back panel could be a result of the previous damp ??

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 9, 2023
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star
I'm no expert at all but, after the problems we've had with a leaky roof and depending on what you paid for it, I think I'd take it back for a refund if I were you.
We don’t know much either. First time Motorhome owners and again we are aware of it been 18 years old. Paid £27.5 K, 50000 miles on Mercedes cab with auto gearbox

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
You

Before collecting it the initial hab report showed damp on back wall/panel. This was repaired before us collecting it and new hav report then showing back wall 12% moisture reading. So the deformed back panel could be a result of the previous damp ??

It's possible the rear panel has had collision damage, which has led to water penetration.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 9, 2023
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star
It's possible the rear panel has had collision damage, which has led to water penetration.
There is a crash bar on bumper & towbar fitted. I did saw the van before the repair was carried out and was like that. But I didn’t think much of it to be honest.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You

The question is what did they do to repair it, I very much doubt they removed the ply from the inner wall to check for structural damage to the timbers. Probably just dried it out so it would last for the short warranty.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We don’t know much either. First time Motorhome owners and again we are aware of it been 18 years old. Paid £27.5 K, 50000 miles on Mercedes cab with auto gearbox
At that price I would expect it to be in very good condition and not have a bodged roof repair and possible future damp problems.

I really think you should reject it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 9, 2023
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star
The question is what did they do to repair it, I very much doubt they removed the ply from the inner wall to check for structural damage to the timbers. Probably just dried it out so it would last for the short warranty.
I was ensured the damp ply was removed & repaired as it should. The back wall used initially was white, after the repair it’s been changed to wood effect one so I believe the did actuality remove & replace 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 9, 2023
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star
At that price I would expect it to be in very good condition and not have a bodged roof repair and possible future damp problems.

Yeah we are going towards that decision too. Shame cause we loved it and it fitted all our needs too. The company it’s quite a big company too with 3 branches and all have good reviews m. We dealt with the Mansfield branch and again all 5 starts reviews on Google. Why would they sell something like that no idea

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's rubberised paint , probably the stop any future leaks.

It's an 18 year old van and the price is around what a dealer would charge for something you could buy private for around £20k . So it's probably about right.

It's a ci which is a budget brand and leaks aren't uncommon.

Personally I doubt you'd have a leg to stand on with a refund as its a second hand van and most of the warranties are worthless.

P.s the £900 quote for the skylight is ludicrous.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

I think you'd struggle to find a Ci motorhome of that year that hadn't leaked before. The roof doesn't look bodged it's just not the prettiest. But having a 25 year old van myself with an age effected roof the rubberised paint will probably stop it leaking in future. The side seams on those vans were awful.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 9, 2023
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star
It's rubberised paint , probably the stop any future leaks.

It's an 18 year old van and the price is around what a dealer would charge for something you could buy private for around £20k . So it's probably about right.

It's a ci which is a budget brand and leaks aren't uncommon.

Personally I doubt you'd have a leg to stand on with a refund as its a second hand van and most of the warranties are worthless.

P.s the £900 quote for the skylight is ludicrous.
Thanks for your input 👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 9, 2023
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star
I think you'd struggle to find a Ci motorhome of that year that hadn't leaked before. The roof doesn't look bodged it's just not the prettiest. But having a 25 year old van myself with an age effected roof the rubberised paint will probably stop it leaking in future. The side seams on those vans were awful.
👍

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
It’s top money they’ve charged for it so should be in better condition

Ask for a refund I’m sure you could buy a better one for that price.

Is it a Sprintshift box or full automatic?

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I'm not sure that would stop any future leaks?
Screenshot_20231027-220123_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I don’t know what you’re like but if I had some issues with a van then found it “not quite right” it would forever play on my mind.

Good luck with your decision and hope it turns out ok for you.

edit just looked at the close up picture of the roof.

Looks like bits of the coating are peeling 🤔
It also doesn’t look “correct” on the van.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm not sure that would stop any future leaks?
View attachment 828293
Probably not but the original seams on those vans are the same as the old caravan type ...there's a piece of plastic covers the screws and the plastic always shrinks. And the water gets in .

I had the same 2 seams at the front and rear joins on my mobilvetta and the same issues. I removed the plastic insert and sealed them up.

They've coated those inserts in rubber paint which does similar.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
SprintShift I think they’re called
SprintShift I think they’re called
Has it got full service record, those boxes can have their fair share of problems, the full torque converter automatic was much more reliable.

I don’t like that paint on the roof to me it’s a bodge job plus the rear panel looks all over the place with bulges. Even if it’s been fixed ok the look of it really devalues it I think, not top money as you’ve paid.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Has it got full service record, those boxes can have their fair share of problems, the full torque converter automatic was much more reliable.

I don’t like that paint on the roof to me it’s a bodge job plus the rear panel looks all over the place with bulges. Even if it’s been fixed ok the look of it really devalues it I think, not top money as you’ve paid.
Surely the rear panel and the repair job were visible when viewing though.

Having not bought from a dealer I'm not sure if the law is different regarding second hand used motorhomes but there has to be some sort of clause that covers that or half the second hand vans sold by dealers would be returned.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Surely the rear panel and the repair job were visible when viewing though.

Having not bought from a dealer I'm not sure if the law is different regarding second hand used motorhomes but there has to be some sort of clause that covers that or half the second hand vans sold by dealers would be returned.
I think they said first time buyers and they don’t know much though.
First time you can miss a lot of things which is I presume why they bought from a dealer and not private, thinking it was a much safer bet.
To me that’s not a good deal from a reputable dealer for 27.5 for a 2005 budget model van.
It should have been in much better nick.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Ask for your money back !
I would check what’s behind the “ wood “ panel at the back, looking at the rest of what’s been done I would be willing to bet that it’s just been boarded over the existing wall 😉

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back