Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 22, 2023
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F60
Exp
Newbies as of June 2024
For anyone who's on FB (I'm not) have a look at the land weeps group to see their reaction to it.. They're the ones who regularly get articles in the press about us filthy motorhomers šŸ˜‚

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
To be honest im not a big fan of visiting Scotland at all . Too far North weather wise for me .

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Do you really pick up other peoples litter?

Yes, I do. Well most of it.

It is mostly self interest as I mostly Freedom Camp and there is a tendency to make judgements such as, "Oh the litter and mess? Probably the guy in the motorhome he was parked there for a couple of days!'

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I also have a litter picker and use it if we're parked anywhere there's litter. We don't want tarring as dirty motorhomers because we'd definitely be blamed.

I'm happy to report that, so far, on this trip its not been necessary to get the picker out. I've only put one broken box in a bin and Martin's picked up a couple of cans and disposed of them (in a bin nearby)!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I rode it this summer on my motorbike.

One thing I didn't realise is that the NC500 is a commercial promotion - nothing to do with the government or councils.
Venues have to pay to be "added" to the route and to use NC500 in their promos.
Cafes and hotels were ambivalent - didn't feel it fair to pay and not sure wanted more traffic, but needed the visitors.

Some silly drivers in large MHs (often dutch or German) using the side loops which are clearly marked as unsuitable for them.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
IMG_5913.jpeg
pretty at the top, though.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
You litter pickers should keep driving until you find a layby that isn't covered in big mac boxes and lorry driver pee bottles.

I honestly can't think of anywhere I've stopped that's been strewn with rubbish.

May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
Well that TV show has put me right off. Especially 'the warden', who doesn't really want ANY visitors on his patch. I thought wardens on campsites were bad, but that guy! Can't camp here, go camp over there behind that rock. Don't hang a wetsuit on that because I don't like you too. Hells Teeth!

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
After reading so much I think this route is one I will avoid.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
One thing I didn't realise is that the NC500 is a commercial promotion - nothing to do with the government or councils.
Charles (prince of WALES as he then was) sowed the seeds in 2019. The brand is now owned by billionaire Anders Povlsen, boss of ASOS and other major fashion brands, and the country's largest private landowner.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Well that TV show has put me right off. Especially 'the warden', who doesn't really want ANY visitors on his patch. I thought wardens on campsites were bad, but that guy! Can't camp here, go camp over there behind that rock. Don't hang a wetsuit on that because I don't like you too. Hells Teeth!
My thoughts exactly. Nature will survive just fine with a wetsuit hung on a sign. šŸ¤£ .People can see your tent from the road......so what?

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
Not much practical content
But I did like the views - in the good weather
I think if I did the route, I'd be stopping every 5 mins to drink in the scenery

few years back drove a couple of friends to a silversmith friend of theirs exhibition up in aberdeen, stayed up there a few days touring around perthshire, first time i'd been to scotland. and i must admit i did stop every mile or two up there in certain areas to do just that..
i was just blown away by the scenery..

never been on nc500, never will now, so did enjoy the tv programme, quite informative i thought..
but no doubt that being on will result in even more visitors, a victim of its own success..
as they say, be careful what you wish for..

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
After reading so much I think this route is one I will avoid.
Stop reading other people's views and try it for yourself. I tense not to listen to anyone's opinions. Most people are wrong ;)

For what it's worth, we went, had a brill time, saw very few people, very few motorhomes and very few midges. One of my favourite trips and I've done 12 months of traveling in the last 3 years from Scotland to Sicily and Serbia.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Do you really pick up other peoples litter?
Yes, even when out in the car we have black bags and litter pickers. More difficult now I am in a wheelchair and we do get funny looks but if it's one less piece of rubbish which could cause accidents then why not?

When our children were small and we still had the home built camper and a tent we toured Scotland up the east and across the north coasts including a day trip to Orkney from John O'Groats. The children still talk about it..... the night on the deer farm when we woke up in the early hours surrounded by hinds and fawns, the cafe in Helmsdale where the sugar was pink, and the campsite at Huna, really just someone's garden, where we stayed 4 nights rather than the one we booked as it was so wonderful. Not so much about the site where the warden was nasty and rude.....

Last edited:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
People can see your tent from the road......so what?

Because itā€™s illegal!

The Right to Roam legislation permits wild camping under specific conditions; those asked to move were not compliant with those conditions.

If you are unfamiliar with whatā€™s permitted you could take a look at the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.

SOAC

Ian

Oct 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Not so new now
Stop reading other people's views and try it for yourself. I tense not to listen to anyone's opinions. Most people are wrong ;)

For what it's worth, we went, had a brill time, saw very few people, very few motorhomes and very few midges. One of my favourite trips and I've done 12 months of traveling in the last 3 years from Scotland to Sicily and Serbia.
Sounds great, what time of year would you recommend doing it?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think the best times are April / May and Oct / Nov but avoid school holidays. Scottish holidays differ from elsewhere in the UK

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
You litter pickers should keep driving until you find a layby that isn't covered in big mac boxes and lorry driver pee bottles.

I honestly can't think of anywhere I've stopped that's been strewn with rubbish.

Maybe you've been following around after the litter pickers have been before.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Well I've just watched it, & see it's just Episode 1, eek!
I've seen plenty worse tbh, though some bits are out of date and other bits inaccurate, but generally not in a significant way.
A jolly romp and in spite of wanting not to, I quite liked the couple in the m/h.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back