NC500 on TV CH 4 tonight 8pm (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Sounds great, what time of year would you recommend doing it?
Many amenities around here don't open till Easter (or later) and close mid to end of September, so research is needed around those times.

Oct 25, 2023
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Only since April 2024 (but caravanning since 2020)
We are new motorhomers this year and just completed a 16 week tour down to Greece via Italy, and back via the Balkans. Quite unbelievable. Trip of a lifetime.

But although we travelled in April, May and June, places like Kotor in Montenegro and Dubrovnik were just too overcrowded and unpleasant, especially when cruise ships pulled in. Last year we experienced the same at Sintra queuing up for ages.

As the Sunday Times reported 2 weeks ago, the news reports tell us about protests against tourists on the Spanish islands and we all know from the complaints re the NC500, overcrowding is becoming a MAJOR problem.

We'd love to do the NC500, but won't with the crowds or hostility. Just not worth it. Forget the top 10, or whatever, we now want to explore the roads less driven, off the beaten track, the hidden spots. Our world is too overpopulated. The cause of nearly all social problems. Sorry.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
I just came on to add this. We're hoping to go to Scotland in September, so will be watching this with interest. Do we have Jon & Sue in our midst šŸ¤”
Going to catch it up tonight. We may well bump into you (hopefully, not in a collision sense) as we are planning to start it in early September with the hope that the midges have all gone on holiday. Safe and happy travels.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
We'd love to do the NC500, but won't with the crowds or hostility. Just not worth it. Forget the top 10, or whatever, we now want to explore the roads less driven, off the beaten track, the hidden spots. Our world is too overpopulated. The cause of nearly all social problems. Sorry.
Go for it don't believe all you read. You definitely won't find hostile crowds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
It really is hilarious how a route on existing roads that have been available for anyone to go and drive round for decades...has become like the Holy Grail of 'adventure'. The power of marketing.
We absolutely love it - but only as it keeps all the tourists away from the decent driving routes ;)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
Anyone who wants to travel around the Highlands (NC500 or otherwise) should come up. The Highlands is a beautiful part of the UK, the people in general are nice too. In my view....and we go all over at various times of the year ....come in October, the weather can be fantastic, the light is best as you see a lot more without blazing (blazing ?) sunshine, and less people about.

Please ignore Facebook and other troll type infested sites, but do come prepared in case you can't sort your vans waste out. Although it is a lot better this year and there are now quite a few waste disposal points about, some charge, others want a donation. We travel with 2 toilet cassettes.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Yet another duped by believing everything you read online or in sensationalist newspaper reports. As said before, we went just over a year ago and saw no overcrowding or hostility. Had a beautiful relaxing, interesting 3 weeks. Wales, Ireland, Cornwall is worse.

I too, like you, enjoy the road less travelled but I'm not going to miss out on some of the most interesting places either.Example, in the Balkans, Kotor was nightmare when the cruise ships came in but early morning, late evening it was beautiful.

Don't miss out, learn how to do it well.

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
There are no rangers anymore just heard

Oct 22, 2020
God's Own County
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H592
Exp
Since 2018
Think I read the 20odd rangers that were on the route were cancelled earlier this year due to lack of funds but Sutherland have since appointed 4 rangers just for their bit of the route

Edit: Apparently the show was filmed in 2022 so already a bit out of date

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
We watched this last night. We enjoyed it and will be watching the rest to get tips and hints ahead of our visit up there in September.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Think I read the 20odd rangers that were on the route were cancelled earlier this year due to lack of funds but Sutherland have since appointed 4 rangers just for their bit of the route

Edit: Apparently the show was filmed in 2022 so already a bit out of date
Have you any idea what month it was, please?

Oct 22, 2020
God's Own County
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H592
Exp
Since 2018
Have you any idea what month it was, please?

Quick google search

Looks like they were axed in March and Sutherland brought them back in June

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Have to say that all the times i saw NC500 i thought it was a thread about motorbikes šŸ˜‚

Looks pretty stunning from the program linked here, thanks for the tip about that. Will add it to our list of tours to do, i guess itā€™s a 3 weeker to do it justice ?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Always have the Litter picker in the locker, and always leave a stopover cleaner than when we arrived plus lunch stops of cause!

My litter picker has broken in transit. I'll order a new one the next time we order something to be delivered from Amazon.

Sep 5, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
American Rv A Class
We are on our 3rd week touring the Nc500 at the moment, it's our first time up here and can't believe it's the same place that I've been reading rubbish about on different forums. The roads are very quiet, sometimes driving for 20minutes or more without seeing another vehicle, giving you time to stop and admire the view. All the locals we have met are happy and friendly to meet us. Some of the single track roads are badly rutted/corrugated making everything rattle and bang in your cupboards for miles. I would advise anyone to come up and enjoy it now while the days are long.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
They were only funded for 2 years and they had a huge impact. The one featured on the show covered Durness - the role removed and now look at the place :cautious:

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
We are on our 3rd week touring the Nc500 at the moment, it's our first time up here and can't believe it's the same place that I've been reading rubbish about on different forums. The roads are very quiet, sometimes driving for 20minutes or more without seeing another vehicle, giving you time to stop and admire the view. All the locals we have met are happy and friendly to meet us. Some of the single track roads are badly rutted/corrugated making everything rattle and bang in your cupboards for miles. I would advise anyone to come up and enjoy it now while the days are long.
Haven't done the whole route but did part up to Durness in 2021. It was the same time we were reading in the papers about tailbacks and congestions and unfriendly locals. It was complete bullocks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back