Nationwide FlexPlus Travel Insurance (12 Viewers)

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
You can't do that, my mate on his last trip forgot to take out the extended trip cover so he phoned NW they said not possible has to be done before you leave the UK, so he cut his trip short and got back within the 31 days.

Ours was due to expire 2 days before we returned and when I explained that to UK Insurance they were happy to continue cover from the expiry date. The only glitch was it couldn’t be renewed before we left as the ‘30 day before expiry’ date hadn’t been reached.

I made sure they understood the situation 100% and that we were covered throughout.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Today I purchased a trip extension for a total of 50 days at a cost of £74.59.
I declined their offer of a medical upgrade of £137.75 ! to cover mild asthma( I don’t use a puffer) only aware of the issue due to regular breathing checks at work. I think it’s unlikely this condition will result in medical treatment, so happy to proceed without any cover for this declared condition, travel insurance for anything else is fine.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My mate has just been on the phone to them his wife is in the early stages of dementia they won't gave any cover to an incidences related to that. She also has Asthma & they won't cover anything related to that.

It's the Asthma part that is worrying as a large percentage of the population suffer with it and anything related could rule out any form of chest complaints.
Sounds like NW travel insurance it not worth having unless you are 100% in good health. Pleased we are with Lloyds.

Anyone spoken to them about high blood pressure?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
My mate has just been on the phone to them his wife is in the early stages of dementia they won't gave any cover to an incidences related to that. She also has Asthma & they won't cover anything related to that.

It's the Asthma part that is worrying as a large percentage of the population suffer with it and anything related could rule out any form of chest complaints.
Sounds like NW travel insurance it not worth having unless you are 100% in good health. Pleased we are with Lloyds.

You say "just on the phone" so is that with Aviva? I'm still with UK Insurance and they cover my asthma and COPD, (on two inhalers) we recently paid £260 to include that plus raised cholestorol and acid reflux for both of us. As Crazylegs said we're not likely to fall ill with our ailments but for that price I prefer to pay up just in case.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Ours was due to expire 2 days before we returned and when I explained that to UK Insurance they were happy to continue cover from the expiry date. The only glitch was it couldn’t be renewed before we left as the ‘30 day before expiry’ date hadn’t been reached.

I made sure they understood the situation 100% and that we were covered throughout.

Continuing with the same insurer is ok. It's taking a new policy with a new insurer when you are already on a trip which is not allowed,

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I declined their offer of a medical upgrade of £137.75 ! to cover mild asthma( I don’t use a puffer) only aware of the issue due to regular breathing checks at work. I think it’s unlikely this condition will result in medical treatment, so happy to proceed without any cover for this declared condition, travel insurance for anything else is fine.

Raises an interesting question. Can you opt out of certain conditions. So I have 3 conditions requiring medication but I am confident that they will not cause me any emergency issues. They are 'Chronic' issues that I live with but don't really affect me much.

So, is it ok to not declare them on the understanding that I won't claim for anything related to them. However, I would still be covered if I had a stroke or broke a leg?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You say "just on the phone" so is that with Aviva? I'm still with UK Insurance and they cover my asthma and COPD, (on two inhalers) we recently paid £260 to include that plus raised cholestorol and acid reflux for both of us. As Crazylegs said we're not likely to fall ill with our ailments but for that price I prefer to pay up just in case.
That was with Aviva, it was UK insurance wouldn't extend his cover when he was out of the country.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now

Think you may be right. When i upgraded ours online, i had to declare i was on medication for something i wouldn't ever need to claim for ) and Anita is awaiting results from a routine scan ( again nothing we would claim for). UK insurance didnt ask what they were, they just excluded any pre existing conditions from cover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Anything you don't declare will invalidate the whole policy.

That's what I thought but a assume Crazylegs is suggesting things can be excluded it you ask....

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
You can't do that, my mate on his last trip forgot to take out the extended trip cover so he phoned NW they said not possible has to be done before you leave the UK, so he cut his trip short and got back within the 31 days.
Just finished upgrading our travel insurance with Aviva, to recap.. we leave on the 7th May, our UK Insurance expires on the 27th May..

Aviva insurance will start on the 28th May, (regardless of where we are), so originally I thought I would have to start afresh with 90 day coverage from 7th May to the 27th July (or thereabouts).

However, that isn't the case, because the UK Insurance is valid until the 27th May, I only needed 62 days coverage, which saved us about £120..

For the record... Medical Cover Extension was £110 (they only needed to know about any on-going stuff, or in the last 12 months), 62 days extension was £204.. (90 days would have been a whopping £320 extra!)

All paid for over the phone, so good to go..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just finished upgrading our travel insurance with Aviva, to recap.. we leave on the 7th May, our UK Insurance expires on the 27th May..

Aviva insurance will start on the 28th May, (regardless of where we are), so originally I thought I would have to start afresh with 90 day coverage from 7th May to the 27th July (or thereabouts).

However, that isn't the case, because the UK Insurance is valid until the 27th May, I only needed 62 days coverage, which saved us about £120..

For the record... Medical Cover Extension was £110 (they only needed to know about any on-going stuff, or in the last 12 months), 62 days extension was £204.. (90 days would have been a whopping £320 extra!)

All paid for over the phone, so good to go..
So it will cost you another £430 for your next trip when previously you paid once a year for multi trips.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
With quotes such as these mentioned for extensions to the travel period, the fact that you have to take out separate extensions for each trip over 31 days, and the health cover seemingly more expensive and restrictive in respect of pre-existing conditions, starting to look like the only benefit to me is the breakdown insurance.
Need to re-examine if this is still cost effective for my purposes.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
That's what I thought but an assume Crazylegs is suggesting things can be excluded it you ask....
I have declared my condition on line, so that’s on record, however I viewed the surcharge as too expensive and unnecessary. Yesterday I called to clarify the situation, which is that I/we are covered for everything except anything associated with my asthma,

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
People do need to be careful when they decline cover for what they perceive to be a well controlled condition without really understanding what other things might then get excluded.

Eg indigestion on omeprazole and you have a massive bleed from your gut, mild asthma and you get pneumonia, raised cholesterol and you have a stroke( even if your blood pressure is fine). Just be a bit careful, you might think you’re saving money but it might be false economy.

We’ve got Lloyds cover like Lenny HB and it’s very good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back