Nationwide Flexi Breakdown Cover

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
I have just made it through the Pyrenees and just when I started to think about our final destination (Southern Spain) the wipers stopped working, which is too good when you have to drive through continuous heavy rain. Anyway I contacted the AA breakdown service as instructed by the Nationwide help line.
The chap from the AA said that my vehicle is not covered as it is greater than 3,500kg, which it is. 4,005 to be precise. The Nationwide breakdown policy clearly states that motorhomes up to 7,500kg are covered.
Am I making a mistake?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I am just about to take delivery of my new Frankia Platin, 8.4m long, we are taking her across to France for 2 weeks in June (our first trip to Europe), can anyone recommend breakdown cover given the AA limit is 8.0m?
I will be posting nearer the time for useful tips and hints regarding stuff to take on the trip
Best regards
Alderney Bob
Check with your insurance company as an add on

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Nationwide or the AA use euroassist in europe they have multi lingual operators and they are very helpful
According to the Nationwide policy you ring the same UK number whether you are in the UK or Europe

Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 09.22.42.png

Also clearly states that the AA App can only be used for UK Breakdowns.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I'll stand corrected as I could'nt edit my thread. The length restriction was removed from the UK element so now there is no length restriction. The 8m length including racks and boxes applies to Europe only.

Below is the screen shot of the update issued by Nationwide back in March 2022

View attachment 858033

I don't think they helped the situation here as they should stipulate within the UK section that there is no length limit rather than omit the point all together, then there would be zero confusion.
I seem to remember recieving a letter from Nationwide, to everyone with a Flex Plus account, clarifying the situation soon after the AA took over the contract. 🤔

Upvote 1
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter
Exp
Since 2010
That is correct but in all likelihood it will be on an international redirect to the AA's European partners call handling centre.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Sorry for the delay in responding to my earlier posts which were based on a previous set of T&Cs some of which I'd queried direct with NationWide.
As things seemed to be open to interpretation, particularly when you read the bit near the bottom: Use of headings 11. The headings used in this Policy are for convenience only and shall not affect the interpretation of its contents.

So to help resolve the issue I contacted Nationwide again to clarify the position on vehicle length. Had a reply today from Lana Van Rooyen Member Relations Executive at NW.

Quote: I’ve had confirmation that there’s no vehicle length limit in the UK but an 8-metre limit still applies within Europe. The policy document currently states that the 8m limit in Europe applies to the combined length of a car + caravan/trailer, but the AA have subsequently confirmed to Nationwide that is incorrect and they would recover both as long as neither exceeded 8m individually. An update to the policy document is planned at the next opportunity.

Hope that's of help whilst awaiting the latest revision.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Feb 2018
I have just made it through the Pyrenees and just when I started to think about our final destination (Southern Spain) the wipers stopped working, which is too good when you have to drive through continuous heavy rain. Anyway I contacted the AA breakdown service as instructed by the Nationwide help line.
The chap from the AA said that my vehicle is not covered as it is greater than 3,500kg, which it is. 4,005 to be precise. The Nationwide breakdown policy clearly states that motorhomes up to 7,500kg are covered.
Am I making a mistake?
I think you've now got the right advice. The purpose of my reply (and I haven't read your T&Cs) is to alert you to another potential issue that we faced early this year in Spain with our Barclays/RAC breakdown policy. Namely, we were only permitted one breakdown per journey although 2 per year. The rub was that a journey comprised the moment we left home to the moment we arrived back home. So having broken down halfway through our planned stay we could not get breakdown cover for the remainder. No-one, either in Spain or UK, could provide cover whilst we were already on a trip. Worth a close look at your policy to see where you stand should you have a second event.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Davecrawf
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
I think you've now got the right advice. The purpose of my reply (and I haven't read your T&Cs) is to alert you to another potential issue that we faced early this year in Spain with our Barclays/RAC breakdown policy. Namely, we were only permitted one breakdown per journey although 2 per year. The rub was that a journey comprised the moment we left home to the moment we arrived back home. So having broken down halfway through our planned stay we could not get breakdown cover for the remainder. No-one, either in Spain or UK, could provide cover whilst we were already on a trip. Worth a close look at your policy to see where you stand should you have a second event.
Will do,
Thanks ✔

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Davecrawf
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
I have checked the Nationwide Flexi Plus policy and there doesn't appear to be any limitations to the number of trips. All in all it seems to good breakdown cover. I have used it twice now.
Screenshot_20240131-094156_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT630
Exp
7 years full timing
I am thinking about the flexplus account, my moho is within the weight and size limits, we are full timers with an Irish passport, does anyone know if the breakdown policy has any time/trip duration limits, I can't find anything to clarify?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back