Nationwide Flex Plus ???? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
That’s fine for you but not every trip is the same or not everyone operates the same. But my point stays the same in that aviva coverage is useless if you are a motorhome client and it’s not fit for purpose further to this the prior providers did actually cover for such events so it’s a dilution of the value that came with a “paid for” banking service.
I'd be interested to know which providers offer what you want. There are many alternative packaged bank accounts and hundreds of alternative travel insurance policies. You need to get quotes and read the T & C's to find what you want.

Personally I took the nationwide wide account for the breakdown - particularly as I have 2 old cars which a lot of breakdown companies will not cover. For me the insurance is a bonus and as long as it gets me sorted should I break a leg then I'm not too bothered by other more minor inconveniences.

Feb 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
I'd be interested to know which providers offer what you want. There are many alternative packaged bank accounts and hundreds of alternative travel insurance policies. You need to get quotes and read the T & C's to find what you want.

Personally I took the nationwide wide account for the breakdown - particularly as I have 2 old cars which a lot of breakdown companies will not cover. For me the insurance is a bonus and as long as it gets me sorted should I break a leg then I'm not too bothered by other more minor inconveniences.
I agree the breakdown is excellent although with a possible van change to a flair 830. that will no longer be of use. The T&C have changed as I have already stated the previous providers covered you in circumstances where Aviva no longer, it is a much watered down policy and with increased costs for the extensions. We will be looking to find cover that is more appropriate to our current needs, both in breakdown and travekl insurance aspects.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We will be looking to find cover that is more appropriate to our current needs, both in breakdown and travekl insurance aspects.
And when you do come across a provider which covers those two requirements Roy, as Flair 8000i owners ourselves with medical conditions, we'd be keen to know who they are please. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Feb 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
And when you do come across a provider which covers those two requirements Roy, as Flair 8000i owners ourselves with medical conditions, we'd be keen to know who they are please. (y)

Cheers,

I am not sure how to repeat this any clearer, prior to the change at Nationwide the previous providers did not have the same restrictions or costs and the cover most certainly met our needs at the time. The vehicle was covered adequately despite being over 3.5 tonne and up to 8m, this cover remains. but not unfortunately not good for the flair 830 we are looking to purchase as 8m limit. The travel aspects previously would have had cover for unforseen circumstances. including travel by motorhome but since Aviva are now the providers they do not!

We are now looking at the insurance, breakdown cover and travel insurance due to potential change of vehicle and the fact that the plus account benefits are no longer fit for purpose large vehicle or not. Comfort quoted 2200 with 1800 excess. i am currently awaiting refined quote from NFU. who appear to be 60% cheaper witha a far more reasonable excess. yet to find breakdown and travel insurance. will update if of interest.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
My trip to Spain is for 52 days at a cost of £174, so today I called to check the cost of my 90 days trip to Thailand £590, so the take over by AVIVA is about 4 times dearer, time to look for a new insurance for Thailand.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I am not sure how to repeat this any clearer, prior to the change at Nationwide the previous providers did not have the same restrictions or costs and the cover most certainly met our needs at the time. The vehicle was covered adequately despite being over 3.5 tonne and up to 8m, this cover remains. but not unfortunately not good for the flair 830 we are looking to purchase as 8m limit. The travel aspects previously would have had cover for unforseen circumstances. including travel by motorhome but since Aviva are now the providers they do not!

We are now looking at the insurance, breakdown cover and travel insurance due to potential change of vehicle and the fact that the plus account benefits are no longer fit for purpose large vehicle or not. Comfort quoted 2200 with 1800 excess. i am currently awaiting refined quote from NFU. who appear to be 60% cheaper witha a far more reasonable excess. yet to find breakdown and travel insurance. will update if of interest.
I am agreeing with you Roy as we are in the same boat, ie, our Flair 8000i is 8.5m in length................so yes, I'm definitely interested in who you find to cover the breakdown and repatriation aspect of your forthcoming Flair 830. (y)

We had to leave NFU as they didn't do MH breakdown cover at the time, and although Brtannia Rescue through the CSMA covered our 7.9m Hymer, they wouldn't cover the longer Flair. :(

Good luck with the research. (y)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We had a speed sensor fail on route for the ferry, long strory short we had to rebook outward journey plus rearrange cancel some nights, they said because we were travelling in our own motorhome we were covered for nothing. A lady we know broke down over seas a few weeks ago and they responded to her in the same way. the only thing for her and ourselves that worked out well was the aa assistance element the travel cover from aviva was of no help. I complained raised cases and it came back rejected. for our next trip to extend for europe to 57 days we were told 30 pounds or for 90 days 190 pounds

That’s fine for you but not every trip is the same or not everyone operates the same. But my point stays the same in that aviva coverage is useless if you are a motorhome client and it’s not fit for purpose further to this the prior providers did actually cover for such events so it’s a dilution of the value that came with a “paid for” banking service.
I'm still covered by UK so can you please explain in what ways Aviva have changed things?

TIA - Gordon

Feb 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
I am agreeing with you Roy as we are in the same boat, ie, our Flair 8000i is 8.5m in length................so yes, I'm definitely interested in who you find to cover the breakdown and repatriation aspect of your forthcoming Flair 830. (y)

We had to leave NFU as they didn't do MH breakdown cover at the time, and although Brtannia Rescue through the CSMA covered our 7.9m Hymer, they wouldn't cover the longer Flair. :(

Good luck with the research. (y)

apologies, nfu mentioned their breakdown is pretty limited, comfort insurance which was pretty costly does seem to have a cheap breakdown cover with no few limitations so i was going to see if that is something available seperately

Feb 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
I'm still covered by UK so can you please explain in what ways Aviva have changed things?

TIA - Gordon
costs for additions and extensions have shot up, the actual cover itself has changed. you would need to read t&c. but in my case zero help. a friend who was significantly more impacted zero help. In addition in litterally the last one to two weeks i have seen a further three posts of similar nature.

Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line

TIA - Gordon
As others have said, mainly price and basis of cover. In post 19 above, I've detailed a couple of the price and policy changes that have impacted us. Hope this helps.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I’ve followed the thread and I appreciate that prices have increased and T&Cs have changed. Life is like that: look how many people moan about their insurance premiums!

But on what grounds did you “get no help”? Are you saying that they didn’t pay you for nights missed (because you hadn’t booked anything?)? If so then afaik UK Ins has the same approach.

Or is it some other reason? Just looking to understand: sorry if I’m being slow on the uptake.

Gordon l

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
Not sure how Aviva work out the price of extending days over 31. We both have medical problems that Aviva will not cover which we have declared, we are ok with that but they will cover any medical problems that may occur on holiday which we don’t have before setting off. So there is no risk to them for ailment we have at present. I was quoted nearly £100 for a 6 week holiday in France so £100 for an extra 11 days.

Feb 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
I’ve followed the thread and I appreciate that prices have increased and T&Cs have changed. Life is like that: look how many people moan about their insurance premiums!

But on what grounds did you “get no help”? Are you saying that they didn’t pay you for nights missed (because you hadn’t booked anything?)? If so then afaik UK Ins has the same approach.

Or is it some other reason? Just looking to understand: sorry if I’m being slow on the uptake.

Gordon l
We had booked. as had another customer and the statement from Aviva was despite unforseable issue they did not cover anything due to travelling in our motorhome, he have raised two complaints and they uphold the decision, where did you make the assumption nothing was booked ?

The friend who had the same issue had all her stays booked and the only help they had was actually via aa nothing via Aviva.

If through trying to understand anyone feels they need to justify or defend a situation that is actually beyong clients control beyond downgrading their bank account its not great, I did not make the choice to switch to aviva. this is a commercial decision by the nationwide not myself yes i can vote with my feet that i will do.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you are paying for services which are no longer appropriate/usable then go elsewhere for cover and switch your bank account to another bank and get a cashback reward by doing so, the cashback will go a fair way to paying for your new providers offerings.

Feb 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
If you are paying for services which are no longer appropriate/usable then go elsewhere for cover and switch your bank account to another bank and get a cashback reward by doing so, the cashback will go a fair way to paying for your new providers offerings.
for me I am fully aware of that, there is the option to downgrade the account back to a flexaccount, I am personally not motivated to change accounts as the nationwide itself meet my requirements its the added services of the plus element thats not fit for purpose.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We had booked. as had another customer and the statement from Aviva was despite unforseable issue they did not cover anything due to travelling in our motorhome, he have raised two complaints and they uphold the decision, where did you make the assumption nothing was booked ?

The friend who had the same issue had all her stays booked and the only help they had was actually via aa nothing via Aviva.

If through trying to understand anyone feels they need to justify or defend a situation that is actually beyong clients control beyond downgrading their bank account its not great, I did not make the choice to switch to aviva. this is a commercial decision by the nationwide not myself yes i can vote with my feet that i will do.
Sorry but I'm still struggling to get my head around the problem :( . My UK Ins policy will expire in January so I would appreciate a bit more information if you don't mind.

I can see that the costs have increased and the benefits have decreased. I understand that is annoying and I shall determine from their T&Cs plus the obligatory phone call to discuss health issues whether or not to accept their offers.

HOWEVER, I would really like to know what you mean by "they did not cover anything due to travelling in our motorhome". (If you have detailed this in another thread, just please point me in the right direction).
What did you think they should cover?
What did you ask them to cover?
What do you think they might have done if you had been in a car using hotels or part of a package holiday?

Many years ago there were adverts saying "get the strength of the insurance company around you" but if they don't support people in their hour of need then it's pretty pointless paying them!

Thanks - Gordon

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry but I'm still struggling to get my head around the problem :( . My UK Ins policy will expire in January so I would appreciate a bit more information if you don't mind.

I can see that the costs have increased and the benefits have decreased. I understand that is annoying and I shall determine from their T&Cs plus the obligatory phone call to discuss health issues whether or not to accept their offers.

HOWEVER, I would really like to know what you mean by "they did not cover anything due to travelling in our motorhome". (If you have detailed this in another thread, just please point me in the right direction).
What did you think they should cover?
What did you ask them to cover?
What do you think they might have done if you had been in a car using hotels or part of a package holiday?

Many years ago there were adverts saying "get the strength of the insurance company around you" but if they don't support people in their hour of need then it's pretty pointless paying them!

Thanks - Gordon
I’m interested in this too please royw - it sounds like you are saying you can’t claim for booked sites if your travel ( eg breakdown or missed ferry) is not covered

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Would it not be better to phone them and have it confirmed rather than someone on a forum, we won’t have sites booked so only thing would be missing a ferry.

I’ve just tried staysure for a 60 day holiday and they quoted me £150, Nationwide quoted £70 to upgrade so looks like they’re still winning when you include the breakdown and other cover.

Feb 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
I’m interested in this too please royw - it sounds like you are saying you can’t claim for booked sites if your travel ( eg breakdown or missed ferry) is not covered
Our ferry booking had restrictions on it so we faced a new ticke purchaset, nothing offered, we had several booked and paid for sites. a number would not refund or be flexible. the wording from Aviva was that they could not help with "anything". due to our travel being via our own motorhome, even though there was specific wording around events beyond our control. I spent quite some time on calls with them and via email with no positive result and just the option to refer to ombudsman. The lady I referred to had a similar result but she had already crossed to europe, for all her bookings they treat her the same. I will as I say drop the plus account both for the fact the travel element is no longer fit for ourr purpose and the breakdown cover although good. will not cover our next van as it will be longer that 8m.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Our ferry booking had restrictions on it so we faced a new ticke purchaset, nothing offered, we had several booked and paid for sites. a number would not refund or be flexible. the wording from Aviva was that they could not help with "anything". due to our travel being via our own motorhome, even though there was specific wording around events beyond our control. I spent quite some time on calls with them and via email with no positive result and just the option to refer to ombudsman. The lady I referred to had a similar result but she had already crossed to europe, for all her bookings they treat her the same. I will as I say drop the plus account both for the fact the travel element is no longer fit for ourr purpose and the breakdown cover although good. will not cover our next van as it will be longer that 8m.
I will have to phone Aviva (nationwide) - I can’t find any wording that excluded travel arrangements if you travel by moho - concerning !
I am correct in thinking it is the holiday travel insurance that was the issue snd not the breakdown cover?

Feb 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
I will have to phone Aviva (nationwide) - I can’t find any wording that excluded travel arrangements if you travel by moho - concerning !
We called Aviva when getting quotes for an extended stay, the lady gave the pricing happily then i asked her does the policy cover the motorhome she happily said yes. so then i shared my compaint refernece and she said she would look into it as it can be ropened after 4 or 5 hours she came back said she had spoke to the claims team and nothing could be done. - take reassuarances lightly!!

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Would it not be better to phone them and have it confirmed rather than someone on a forum, we won’t have sites booked so only thing would be missing a ferry.

I’ve just tried staysure for a 60 day holiday and they quoted me £150, Nationwide quoted £70 to upgrade so looks like they’re still winning when you include the breakdown and other cover.
I’ve just paid £174 for 52 days with nationwide (AVIVA), something doesn’t add up.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I’ve just paid £174 for 52 days with nationwide (AVIVA), something doesn’t add up.

Could be age or even existing conditions even if not covered for them, we’re 56&55 and although we have existing health conditions they aren’t serious or would need attention while away.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
I hope those who feel they were mislead complain to Nationwide, not Aviva.
Good advice. I spoke with Nationwide after an issue with the breakdown cover that changed provider a few years back. The lady i spoke with advised to put something in writing as the cover provided should have been almost identical. If people dont formally raise issues nothing is likely to change.

Nov 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bürstner 728g
You may have a starter on me but taking what the OP said, it doesn't say whether the £250 is a cumulative total for him and partner or just for him/her.
If it's for two, then it could be good value. If it's for the OP alone then it may be value, but without knowing the health of the OP, we cannot comment.
Another query crossed my kind as I type. Has the OP got his quote from Aviva as they have taken over from UK Insurance for new quotes since May.

PS.

On the assumption that the Insurance, whether UK or Aviva is like for like in terms of length of trip, the OP could, for more expense, increase the length of trip.
We have extended ours to 50 days.
Also, again without knowing Aviva's 'offer', UK Insurance have a one off (per year) charge if one (either of you) is over 65yrs of age.
Perhaps Funsters who have jumped through the hoop of transferring to Aviva could comment.
My Nationwide Flexplus travel insurance automatically switched from UK insurance to Aviva, who have removed the requirement to buy the age extension for over 70s. ✓

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
My Nationwide Flexplus travel insurance automatically switched from UK insurance to Aviva, who have removed the requirement to buy the age extension for over 70s. ✓
May I ask when this happened?
From my perspective, there's nothing 'automatic' about the transference of Insurance Co,s unless you are referring to the basic Insurance product given as a member with a flex plus account.
Even then, I would be looking at the t's and C's to make sure I knew where I stood re breakdown cover

Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
May I ask when this happened?
From my perspective, there's nothing 'automatic' about the transference of Insurance Co,s unless you are referring to the basic Insurance product given as a member with a flex plus account.
Even then, I would be looking at the t's and C's to make sure I knew where I stood re breakdown cover
Ours switched automatically when our 12 month cover with UK Insurance expired (anniversary of opening Flex Plus account). However, we received several communications and written details of the new basis of cover beforehand, so no surprises there. It’s the escalated cost of extras (90 day trip and existing health conditions) we are disappointed with. We have written to Nationwide but still await a reply.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back