Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
May I ask when this happened?
From my perspective, there's nothing 'automatic' about the transference of Insurance Co,s unless you are referring to the basic Insurance product given as a member with a flex plus account.
Even then, I would be looking at the t's and C's to make sure I knew where I stood re breakdown cover
I'm with Nationwide, the breakdown cover is with the AA, the travel insurance is now with Aviva, UK Insurance dropped out of the individual travel insurance prefering large company type stuff.

Nov 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
BĂĽrstner 728g
May I ask when this happened?
From my perspective, there's nothing 'automatic' about the transference of Insurance Co,s unless you are referring to the basic Insurance product given as a member with a flex plus account.
Even then, I would be looking at the t's and C's to make sure I knew where I stood re breakdown cover the travel insurance product provided with the Flexplus account.
I have FlexPlus Travel Insurance. Nationwide notified me in early 2024 that cover would be moving from UK insurance to Aviva.
An age extension upgrade for over 70years of age expires on 27th August.
Aviva have notified me that there is no longer a need to buy an age extension 'upgrade' as maximum age limits have been removed.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thank you.

I'm assuming that you move over to Aviva at the end of August

Thing is, from my understanding, Aviva may have removed the 'age extention' charge but at the same time they have included conditions that weren't there before. (Like charging for each trip rather than a blanket cover for the year)
Pleased to be contradicted on that one.

Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Thank you.

Thing is, from my understanding, Aviva may have removed the 'age extention' charge but at the same time they have included conditions that weren't there before. (Like charging for each trip rather than a blanket cover for the year)
That’s my understanding and experience.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Thank you.

I’ve just paid £174 for a 52 day trip to Spain, my 90 day trip to Thailand is going to cost a extra £600.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I’ve just paid £174 for a 52 day trip to Spain, my 90 day trip to Thailand is going to cost a extra £600.
That was/is my understanding.
With NW you got a default 31nights/days.
If you wanted longer, ie. in our case we upped it to 50nights that covered us for ALL our trips Worldwide for any trips throughout the year providing the trip was less than 50nights.
Those out there with current knowledge, is it now the case that, regardless of the length of trip, one pays per trip.

Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
If you wanted longer, ie. in our case we upped it to 50nights that covered us for ALL our trips Worldwide for any trips throughout the year providing the trip was less than 50nights.
Those out there with current knowledge, is it now the case that, regardless of the length of trip, one pays per trip.
That’s the biggest change in our opinion. You now have to pay a hefty charge for EVERY trip over 31 days. No longer the previous basis of pay once and it lasted 12 months.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Per trip, for anyone who only has 31 days holiday it’s still a bargain, previous to this year I used to pay Under £300 for 120 days which covered the whole year.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
think it just depends. Some will be better off, some wont. Same as any general policy.

but,
it now doesn't have an age limit
it includes cruise cover.

for us it is better than previously. Although we do have medical conditions, this years cost is a fair bit less than last year but as at present we don't do more than 31 days holiday

when we can travel for longer then will just have to look around. But will probably stay with the account as the breakdown cover is worth the ÂŁ13 a month on its own.

Nov 13, 2013
Leics.
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Since 2000
Our motorhome and car have got European breakdown cover for the next 2 years.
Aviva want double what it cost us last year on trip extensions and health extras so we are changing to a Flex account as it is no longer cost effective.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Our motorhome and car have got European breakdown cover for the next 2 years.
Aviva want double what it cost us last year on trip extensions and health extras so we are changing to a Flex account as it is no longer cost effective.
Wondering why you have breakdown cover with someone else when you already had it with the flex plus account?.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Our ferry booking had restrictions on it so we faced a new ticke purchaset, nothing offered, we had several booked and paid for sites. a number would not refund or be flexible. the wording from Aviva was that they could not help with "anything". due to our travel being via our own motorhome, even though there was specific wording around events beyond our control. I spent quite some time on calls with them and via email with no positive result and just the option to refer to ombudsman. The lady I referred to had a similar result but she had already crossed to europe, for all her bookings they treat her the same. I will as I say drop the plus account both for the fact the travel element is no longer fit for ourr purpose and the breakdown cover although good. will not cover our next van as it will be longer that 8m.

I had to cancel a ferry crossing this month due to a accident that left me unable to travel. They refunded no question.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I had to cancel a ferry crossing this month due to a accident that left me unable to travel. They refunded no question.
The like is for the refund not for the accident.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Wondering why you have breakdown cover with someone else when you already had it with the flex plus account?.
Possibly for the same reason we've had to find alternative European Breakdown Cover, ie, due to length, inasmuch that the NW Flex Plus insurances have an 8 x metre length restriction in the EU, it's 8.5 x metres here at home in the UK. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just about to find out how good the travel insurance is we have to cancel a flotilla sailing holiday and flights as Liz has broken her hand I three places. I'm a bit concerned they might quibble as the flights are separate to the flotilla

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just about to find out how good the travel insurance is we have to cancel a flotilla sailing holiday and flights as Liz has broken her hand I three places. I'm a bit concerned they might quibble as the flights are separate to the flotilla
Hope Liz isn't in too much pain and it heals well and fast.

Please let us know if you have any insurance hassle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back