Nationwide Flex Plus ???? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
I asked for reccomendations for Breakdown etc and many people on FUN advised me to look into Nationwide flexplus .

As I already have a Nationwide Flex account I have applied ,, but have been knocked back over Pre Existing medical conditions and if I want to go ahead have to pay an additional £250 per year for travel cover but for only 31 days ??? per trip ,,, my tripas are usually 60 days each .

with the £13 a month fee thats £156 a year including Breakdown etc but adding 250 for Travel thats now £406??

do you still think thats a good deal ????

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
with the £13 a month fee thats £156 a year including Breakdown etc but adding 250 for Travel thats now £406??

It depends upon what medical the conditions are as some are more 'risky' than others and whether you've been able to get a better quote from elsewhere.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Take everything into account. The breakdown cover is excellent - UK and Europe, personal cover for you and your partner so that means all the vehicles you ever drive. For me and the wife that's 3 (1 over 10 years and one over 20) so that's £200 plus saved already. Remember travel covers the whole family too, and it's worldwide. You can only take these aspects into consideration if they are beneficial to you and compare with some other travel ins quotes

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have to pay more than that for our medical conditions but it's worth it for us to cover all our vehicles - Motorhome, 2 cars and a scooter. Would cost at least the monthly fee just for that. I had actually already covered one 2 week package holiday and it cost as much if not more than what we've paid overall for the account and insurances.

Only you can decide if it's worth it for you.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Take everything into account. The breakdown cover is excellent - UK and Europe, personal cover for you and your partner so that means all the vehicles you ever drive. For me and the wife that's 3 (1 over 10 years and one over 20) so that's £200 plus saved already. Remember travel covers the whole family too, and it's worldwide. You can only take these aspects into consideration if they are beneficial to you and compare with some other travel ins quotes
You may have a starter on me but taking what the OP said, it doesn't say whether the £250 is a cumulative total for him and partner or just for him/her.
If it's for two, then it could be good value. If it's for the OP alone then it may be value, but without knowing the health of the OP, we cannot comment.
Another query crossed my kind as I type. Has the OP got his quote from Aviva as they have taken over from UK Insurance for new quotes since May.

PS.

On the assumption that the Insurance, whether UK or Aviva is like for like in terms of length of trip, the OP could, for more expense, increase the length of trip.
We have extended ours to 50 days.
Also, again without knowing Aviva's 'offer', UK Insurance have a one off (per year) charge if one (either of you) is over 65yrs of age.
Perhaps Funsters who have jumped through the hoop of transferring to Aviva could comment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
I asked for reccomendations for Breakdown etc and many people on FUN advised me to look into Nationwide flexplus .

As I already have a Nationwide Flex account I have applied ,, but have been knocked back over Pre Existing medical conditions and if I want to go ahead have to pay an additional £250 per year for travel cover but for only 31 days ??? per trip ,,, my tripas are usually 60 days each .

For Nationwide to add £250 per annum it would suggest you either have a serious condition or a number of less serious issues and if this is the case then £250 would seem to be a good deal. (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Since medical insurance for a single trip of 14 days for me I was quoted £1000 plus £300 for Martin excluding any cardiac issues, Nationwide (UK insurance no quote from Aviva as yet) wanted an additional £240 plus £40 ( or £80 - can't remember) cruise cover for a full year for both of us it was a bargain.

We did have to claim :( as our last trip was cancelled due to a hospital admission from a disclosed existing illness and the process of the claim was quick, easy and paid within days.

I hope that when we arrange extra cover via Aviva it will be okay.
We have to pay more than that for our medical conditions but it's worth it for us to cover all our vehicles - Motorhome, 2 cars and a scooter. Would cost at least the monthly fee just for that. I had actually already covered one 2 week package holiday and it cost as much if not more than what we've paid overall for the account and insurances.

Only you can decide if it's worth it for you.
Exactly.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If you pay the £13 then that will cover your breakdown insurance, you only have to pay the additional costs if you wish to include the travel insurance. We both have a few issues to declare but it was worth it last year for our 90 day trip to Spain, we paid around £250 extra.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now

Depends on your van but our 4.24t van was more than £156 just for euro breakdown cover.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
You asked about breakdown cover.

For the £13 a month, it’s worth it for us to cover all our vehicles both home and mainland Europe just for that.

Anything else such as the travel insurance is a bonus.

Recently I looked at travel insurance prices with other companies and they wanted more just for the insurance (and that was Europe only) than Aviva wanted to add on for our medical conditions with the nationwide account. And that covers cruises and is world wide.

All in all a bargain.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If your condition isn’t going to cause you any issues while on holiday they can exclude it, we phoned the other day for a 60 day trip. We both have medical conditions but none that will cause issues abroad, for example I have two new hips and Lorr has just had a minor knee op. They gave us a price of £71 excluding our conditions, we’re 56 & 55 .

Feb 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
aviva who underwrite the travel element have now extremely poor travel comer if you are travelling in your motorhome

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
aviva who underwrite the travel element have now extremely poor travel comer if you are travelling in your motorhome
What does that mean? In what way is it poor and how worse is it than other travel policies?

Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Pretty sure you can pay for an extension.
You can pay for an extension beyond 31 day but as others have mentioned, you now have to buy an extension for every trip with Aviva, rather than paying one extra fee that used to cover every trip for 12 months.

Our 90 day extension for the previous 12 months with UK Insurance was £126. Aviva have just charged us around £190 for one single 85 day trip!

Last year no additional charge for existing medical conditions. This year with Aviva, £60 extra for exactly the same conditions.

We’ve written to Nationwide expressing our concerns. So far, no reply.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
How's can anyone say insurance is expensive or good value unless they get several quotes from different companies. It's like anything else you shop around and take what you think is the best value

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Covers the majority of motorhomers I'd say
But clearly not all, and folks need to read the small print so as not to be caught out.
That's why we changed from NFU to SAGA, to ensure we had suitable European Breakdown cover, knowing that neither Britannia through the CSMA, nor Nationwide would cover us.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Feb 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
What does that mean? In what way is it poor and how worse is it than other travel policies?
We had a speed sensor fail on route for the ferry, long strory short we had to rebook outward journey plus rearrange cancel some nights, they said because we were travelling in out own motorhome we were covered for nothing. A lady we know broke down over seas a few weeks ago and they responded to her in the same way. the only thing for her and ourselves that worked out well was the aa assistance element the travel cover from aviva was of no help. I complained raised cases and it came back rejected. for our next trip to extend for europe to 57 days we were told 30 pounds or for 90 days 190 pounds

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
How's can anyone say insurance is expensive or good value unless they get several quotes from different companies. It's like anything else you shop around and take what you think is the best value
Also the cheapest is not often the best. You need to read the small print to make sure you are buying what you think you are buying.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Also the cheapest is not often the best. You need to read the small print to make sure you are buying what you think you are buying.
I think that's all part of the shopping around process just like do you get own brand or well known names or clothes with posh labels or Primark!
If all companies charged the same people would say it was price rigging if there's a big difference people say that the expensive one is a rip off sometimes I think they want it both ways and people to take on a risk they don't want to take themselves for peanuts.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Motorhoming is different to 'normal' holidays. You are flexible and not in the same situation as a hotel booking for example. We never book anything or plan in advance. Really the insurance is just for extreme circumstances - hospitalisation etc.

I have just made a £1500 claim for a car based holiday I have had to cancel due to a accident I had which means I cannot travel. I claimed for hotels, trackdays and ferry. All paid out within a week - no quibble. Pleased with the service.

I accept that motorhome hols are slightly different.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
But clearly not all, and folks need to read the small print so as not to be caught out.
That's why we changed from NFU to SAGA, to ensure we had suitable European Breakdown cover, knowing that neither Britannia through the CSMA, nor Nationwide would cover us.

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Hi Jock, just for info incase it effects you ,my Saga breakdown cert was up on Monday and I received a letter saying they are no longer providing breakdown cover as a stand alone policy. So have now opened a Nationwide flex account.
Cheers Cris 🍻.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Jock, just for info incase it effects you ,my Saga breakdown cert was up on Monday and I received a letter saying they are no longer providing breakdown cover as a stand alone policy. So have now opened a Nationwide flex account.
Cheers Cris 🍻.
Thanks for the "heads up" Chris. 👍

Ours is integrated with the insurance on a MH specific policy, but is due for renewal in a few months, so I'll have to wait and see what's what.

NW will recover our 8.5m MH in the UK, but not in the EU. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Feb 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
Motorhoming is different to 'normal' holidays. You are flexible and not in the same situation as a hotel booking for example. We never book anything or plan in advance. Really the insurance is just for extreme circumstances - hospitalisation etc.

I have just made a £1500 claim for a car based holiday I have had to cancel due to a accident I had which means I cannot travel. I claimed for hotels, trackdays and ferry. All paid out within a week - no quibble. Pleased with the service.

I accept that motorhome hols are slightly different.

Feb 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
That’s fine for you but not every trip is the same or not everyone operates the same. But my point stays the same in that aviva coverage is useless if you are a motorhome client and it’s not fit for purpose further to this the prior providers did actually cover for such events so it’s a dilution of the value that came with a “paid for” banking service.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back