Nationwide card reader needed (11 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
I can log in but I cannot transfer money out of my Nationwide account into another of my own accounts with a different bank.
To do that, I need to set myself up as a "new payee" and that requires a card reader.
I would understand these security measures if I was trying to transfer money to some random person but it's to me, the account holder!
As has been said. Any card reader will work. Any bank should have one so go into the nearest and ask.
Hope you get sorted

OP
OP
N
Aug 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Trigano
I had a similar problem some time ago, I was able to send money to another of my account, which was already set up. We have had two current accounts for years, we don't need them but as they're free and each has features the other doesn't have we have kept both.
I've got a FlexDirect and a FlexPlus but I never set myself up as a payee for any of them (if only I had known!).

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I've been using the other account (first direct) for years to fund my Nationwide account, it's just that I never transferred INTO that first direct account.
But that's why I expected their system to recognise that both are my own accounts and that I'm not trying to commit some kind of fraud.
I know that such an assumption makes sense, however, when your NW account is fed a deposit by another source, NW have no recordable record of where that deposit came from.
We discovered this when receiving funds from Funsters to pay for rallies we were organising.
Sure, we got the name of the supplying person but you wouldn't expect the receiving Bank, in this case NW to accept that, for instance, John Smith's account from say Lloyds, was the same John Smith who was receiving money into his NW account.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N
Aug 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Trigano
I know that such an assumption makes sense, however, when your NW account is fed a deposit by another source, NW have no recordable record of where that deposit came from.
We discovered this when receiving funds from Funsters to pay for rallies we were organising.
Sure, we got the name of the supplying person but you wouldn't expect the receiving Bank, in this case NW to accept that, for instance, John Smiths account from saying Lloyds was the same John Smith who was receiving money into his NW account.
My name is slightly more unusual than John Smith though 😂
But I understand what you mean.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
Don't suppose you have someone else (you trust) already set up as a payee that could act as an intermediary?

PS. I have always found Nationwide staff to be very helpful but setting up a new payee can be a pain (especially with the "are you sure", "are you absolutely sure" protections).

OP
OP
N
Aug 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Trigano
As Brochmike says above, use an intermediary.
Send money to an existing payee you can trust, get them to pay said amount into your other bank account.
I haven't set up any payees on any of my NW accounts I'm afraid.
I use first direct as my main account for purchases, bills etc.

Jan 27, 2023
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Can you send money out of your First Direct account to a relative and get them to pay into your NW account?

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
There are plenty for sale on eBay, if you can wait a few days for postage. Don't know if that helps at all?

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I actually have a NW card reader and will be in Brescia on Tuesday for about a week, if that's any good?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Just knock on the door of the nearest van with UK plates and borrow theirs.
ANY card reader will work.

FYI
We always have a spare card reader that lives in the van for exactly this eventuality.
I also have another spare that lives in the Laptop case.
I also have yet another spare that lives in our holiday home for use by anyone that stays there.
As well as the two we have at home.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just knock on the door of the nearest van with UK plates and borrow theirs.
ANY card reader will work.
I've 3 UK bank accounts & wouldn't even know what one was?
The Hsbc account used to have some sort of 'code' thingy ,the wife's still has , but each is individual to the account holder.
my Hsbc account when I needed a new 'code' thingy, as battery had run out after 20 years , they sent me one but when I received it I down loaded the hsbc app instead. for banking. Now on the odd occasion I prefer to log on using the lap top I have to "generate a security code" using the phone app.??????? Who thinks these things up? surely if I am using a lap top they would assume I have no access to the phone?
You probably need the card reader to set up the biometrics though 😏

Exactly - I had tried that!

OP
OP
N
Aug 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Trigano
There are plenty for sale on eBay, if you can wait a few days for postage. Don't know if that helps at all?
Nationwide are going to send a new card reader to my "home address" (in Scotland) and then I need to get it forwarded to me here in Italy.
All this will take a while but it seems to be my only option if I can't get one in a local bank.
I haven't tried that yet as I was out walking all day today.

OP
OP
N
Aug 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Trigano
I actually have a NW card reader and will be in Brescia on Tuesday for about a week, if that's any good?
Thank you for the offer but it's a bit far away... I'm planning to stay in the Dolomites until mid-October (weather permitting).

Reactions: HKF

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Nationwide are going to send a new card reader to my "home address" (in Scotland) and then I need to get it forwarded to me here in Italy.
All this will take a while but it seems to be my only option if I can't get one in a local bank.
I haven't tried that yet as I was out walking all day today.
I carry one in my van. Just in case.

So, I think someone suggested, ask the neighbours.

Remember, shy bairns get nowt 😂😂

OP
OP
N
Aug 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Trigano
I carry one in my van. Just in case.

So, I think someone suggested, ask the neighbours.

Remember, shy bairns get nowt 😂😂
I was actually considering that 😁 but then I had the idea to ask here - I thought that would save me the embarrassment of having to explain to my neighbours what a card reader is 🤭
Besides, I don't think there are any UK vans parked near me at the moment...

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
I used to use a Barclays card reader about 10 years ago, but assumed they had been made redundant with advances in online banking verification systems ?
I assume so too as I've a Barclays account for a few years now, never had a card reader, only one for the nationwide and one for the Natwest, the latter I no long use as they dont use them anymore.

May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
I had this happen recently when we were away and I needed to pay by bank transfer for some work being done that day on the MH. I tried to set up a new payee. It proved impossible in my NatWest mobile app so I tried to do it using online banking with a laptop. No joy without a card reader, which neither of us had with us. I should say that I didn’t know at that time that anyone’s card reader will work, I assumed only my personal one would do. I phoned NatWest to try to set up the payment but they were not at all happy to help. It was only after I insisted, saying that without the payment being made I would not be able to collect the MH from the repairer and we would therefore have nowhere to sleep that night, that they reluctantly dealt with the transfer (after asking endless anti-fraud questions).

We now keep a card reader in the MH.

Hopefully a fellow camper or local bank will be able to help you Nicole if Nationwide really won’t play ball 🤞

OP
OP
N
Aug 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Trigano
I had this happen recently when we were away and I needed to pay by bank transfer for some work being done that day on the MH. I tried to set up a new payee. It proved impossible in my NatWest mobile app so I tried to do it using online banking with a laptop. No joy without a card reader, which neither of us had with us. I should say that I didn’t know at that time that anyone’s card reader will work, I assumed only my personal one would do. I phoned NatWest to try to set up the payment but they were not at all happy to help. It was only after I insisted, saying that without the payment made I would not be able to collect the MH from the repairer and we would therefore have nowhere to sleep that night, that they reluctantly dealt with the transfer (after asking endless anti-fraud questions).

We now keep a card reader in the MH.

Hopefully a fellow camper of local bank will be able to help you Nicole if Nationwide really won’t play ball 🤞
Thank you!
I understand that your situation was a bit different as it was a real emergency but in my case three different advisors (two on live chat and one on the phone) all insisted that they were unable to override their system - which is clearly not true and that's really annoying! 😡

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
Dear gods! The banks seem quite happy to let fraudsters open accounts and transfer money from innocent victims to goodness knows where, never to be seen again. It beggars belief they make it virtually impossible for a long standing customer not to be able to transfer money to themselves in another UK bank account without using some ancient technology that nobody should be expected to carry around with them.

This is my second rant about banks today! 🤣

OP
OP
N
Aug 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Trigano
Dear gods! The banks seem quite happy to let fraudsters open accounts and transfer money from innocent victims to goodness knows where, never to be seen again. It beggars belief they make it virtually impossible for a long standing customer not to be able to transfer money to themselves in another UK bank account without using some ancient technology that nobody should be expected to carry around with them.

This is my second rant about banks today! 🤣
Thanks, I couldn't have said it any better! 👏

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back