Nationwide card reader needed (60 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Trigano
Hello fellow Motorhomers and Campervanners,

I know it's a long shot but maybe one of you can help me:

I'm currently in the Dolomites and need a card reader urgently because my own is in Scotland...

I know that many of you have a Nationwide FlexPlus account (for breakdown cover, travel insurance etc.) and therefore might have a card reader as well. A NatWest card reader would work as well, I've been told...

If anyone is in the Bruneck/Brunico area, could I please borrow your card reader, just for one transaction?

Many thanks in advance,
Nicole

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Hello fellow Motorhomers and Campervanners,

I know it's a long shot but maybe one of you can help me:

I'm currently in the Dolomites and need a card reader urgently because my own is in Scotland...

I know that many of you have a Nationwide FlexPlus account (for breakdown cover, travel insurance etc.) and therefore might have a card reader as well. A NatWest card reader would work as well, I've been told...

If anyone is in the Bruneck/Brunico area, could I please borrow your card reader, just for one transaction?

Many thanks in advance,
Nicole
Any card reader will work

OP
OP
N
Aug 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Trigano
Good luck, that seems like a very long shot..

Can you not do it via having a txt code sent ?? That's how most of mine are done downdays..
No, I suggested that but they insist on a card reader unfortunately.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
When I go to my N'w Flex a/c it gives me options for logging in.............

1727186930210.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
N
Aug 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Trigano
When I go to my N'w Flex a/c it gives me options for logging in.............

View attachment 954786
I can log in but I cannot transfer money out of my Nationwide account into another of my own accounts with a different bank.
To do that, I need to set myself up as a "new payee" and that requires a card reader.
I would understand these security measures if I was trying to transfer money to some random person but it's to me, the account holder!

OP
OP
N
Aug 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Trigano
Just find an Italian bank and ask to use one of their customer card readers. They are all the same. We use our natwest one with nationwide cards.
That's an idea, I didn't think Italian banks used card readers but I can try that.
I thought it's only Nationwide and NatWest that still use them...

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hope you get sorted and wish we could help.

We've been in a similar situation being asked to pay a deposit for a site by bank transfer and not having a reader nor being near a branch of our (Scottish) bank. I carry a card reader with me now - and have never needed it since of course.

Also the card readers are generic and not linked to your bank account.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I can log in but I cannot transfer money out of my Nationwide account into another of my own accounts with a different bank.
To do that, I need to set myself up as a "new payee" and that requires a card reader.
I would understand these security measures if I was trying to transfer money to some random person but it's to me, the account holder!
You 'know' that but a computer doesn't.

OP
OP
N
Aug 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Trigano
You 'know' that but a computer doesn't.
I've been using the other account (first direct) for years to fund my Nationwide account, it's just that I never transferred INTO that first direct account.
But that's why I expected their system to recognise that both are my own accounts and that I'm not trying to commit some kind of fraud.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I used to use a Barclays card reader about 10 years ago, but assumed they had been made redundant with advances in online banking verification systems ?

OP
OP
N
Aug 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Trigano
I used to use a Barclays card reader about 10 years ago, but assumed they had been made redundant with advances in online banking verification systems ?
You would think so but they seem to be a little behind the times in that regard.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
When I was trying to open a Nationwide account last year, they were the most frustrating bank I have ever dealt with. The branch staff couldnā€™t help - I had to do it online. I couldnā€™t do it online because it recognised that I used to have a mortgage with them many years ago but hadnā€™t applied for online facilities. It was as if they hadnā€™t joined all their systems up šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
Do you use the Nationwide app ? It's possible to setup biometrics in the app such that you don't need the card reader.

OP
OP
N
Aug 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Trigano
Ring them and they will set up the payment for you, this may involve many hoops being jumped through.
I spent ages yesterday on live chat and half an hour this morning on the phone, both without success.
I've got my Visa card with me and could answer all kinds of security questions but they still insisted on the card reader.
A very frustrating experience and I have made an official complaint (but I don't expect anything to come out of it)!

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I had a similar problem some time ago, I was able to send money to another of my account, which was already set up. We have had two current accounts for years, we don't need them but as they're free and each has features the other doesn't have we have kept both.

OP
OP
N
Aug 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Trigano
When I was trying to open a Nationwide account last year, they were the most frustrating bank I have ever dealt with. The branch staff couldnā€™t help - I had to do it online. I couldnā€™t do it online because it recognised that I used to have a mortgage with them many years ago but hadnā€™t applied for online facilities. It was as if they hadnā€™t joined all their systems up šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
I agree, and after this experience I am very tempted to leave. Unfortunately I need the FlexPlus breakdown cover as I was unable to get cover for my 2005 van (they were the only provider without an age limit for the vehicle) including Europe for a year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back