My Christmas gift to you all…….How to avoid the 90/180 day restriction in the EU!! (1 Viewer)

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
How’s it possible I hear you ask…….

I’ve just returned from a wine and dine day trip to France via P&O, great day out and a super lunch. On our return we booked in as usual with P&O and passed through the French Customs. We joined the extended UK Border Force queue and then when we were one car away from the booth a voice in the back of the car said”can you just check but I think the French only stamped 3 of our passports?”. Sure enough mine hadn’t been stamped. I had a brief chat with Border Force chap would said it made not difference to him and that there was no way of reversing up, so to speak. However if we were concerned he said we could exit the port and go round again to get stamped! He described the route and off we went out of the Port of Calais on to the dual/triple carriageway in to France without going through customs. Obviously in our case we doubled back at the first exit, got waved through the P&O check, had all our passports scanned for the second time in an hour at French Customs then made sure all four were stamped and off we went.

So my proposition is what’s to stop anyone doing as we did and starting off in France for an undetermined period without going through any customs check? Obviously you would need to throw away the cost of the return fare and if you wanted to safeguard yourselves you could book and pay for a Dover-Calais fare which you don’t use but can show as a proof that you travelled on a given date but other than that as far as I can see you are free and can travel for as long as you like. Perhaps as a safeguard you might book another non used Dover-Calais fare a couple of weeks before you return to show at French Customs if you are questioned.

So does anyone feel lucky?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
lost me ...

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Once upon a time people used to book two day trips to France: use the out leg on one day and the return leg a few weeks later. Computer systems caught up with them and the ferry companies started charging for FOUR single tickets!

Do you think your idea will allow you to get out eventually without anyone noticing?

Gordon

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Carpmart We hope that you are still enjoying your trip. We are back home now and freezing . . Happy travels

Having a ball thanks! We are flying home in two weeks for Christmas, then back down to the warmth on NYD. Hope to catch up soon! 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Ah, I see.

You go to France, come back out, but then dodge back in before you board the ferry!

As that blonde (?) lady sang, you will be "Lost In France" .

Mmmmm, don't think you've thought this through though.

You don't have an entry stamp, so now you are "The Prisoner of Schengen".

Roaming the continent, hanging around Aires and Stellplatzes, telling any Brit who will listen of your tale of woe, "The Rime of the Ancient Motorhomer".

But apart from that, great idea (y):LOL::unsure:

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The idea may work for another year or so in certain ports
(Don't try the Netherlands, they employed an extra 50,000 staff to deal with the trade to the UK after Brexit).

But once the ESTAS is introduced, you will have to come up with a better excuse than 'they must have forgotten to stamp my passport'

However I think you get a really good rate from the people smugglers, as normally the UK to France run is a ballast run for them, so as long as you cover their fuel bill I'm sure they would be amenable

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
You go to France, come back out, but then dodge back in before you board the ferry!

You don't have an entry stamp, so now you are "The Prisoner of Schengen".
Roaming the continent, hanging around Aires and Stellplatzes, telling any Brit who will listen of your tale of woe, "The Rime of the Ancient Motorhomer".
But apart from that, great idea (y):LOL::unsure:
"The Prisoner of Schengen".

Once upon a time in old Europe's land,
A mariner wandered, lost upon the strand.
Bound by Schengen's rules, stuck in a foreign maze,
Twas a challenge, dear traveller, to escape its hazy haze.

Oh, the mariner's heart longed for freedom's shore,
To sail unencumbered, forevermore.
But alas! The Schengen rules, like an albatross 'round his neck,
Kept his dreams grounded, his spirit a wreck.

Like a prisoner confined, he yearned to explore,
To cross borders freely, to roam forevermore.
But Schengen's chains held him in their sway,
Limiting his movements, day after day.

In one land he would dwell, for a mere 90 days,
Then the clock would reset, and he'd wander new ways.
But like the ancient mariner, cursed on the sea,
He couldn't escape the chains that held him, you see.

Oh, the frustration, the longing for more,
To experience cultures, to venture ashore.
But Schengen's cold grasp held tight its rein,
Leaving the mariner with nothing but pain.

He dreamt of the mountains, the rivers, the seas,
Of museums and castles, of ancient mysteries.
But Schengen's borders stood tall and strong,
Limiting his adventures, all too long.

So the mariner sighed and bided his time,
Finding solace in stories, in rhythm and rhyme.
He wove tales of travels, of lands far and wide,
Of the beauty and wonders held deep inside.

For though he remained stuck, bound by the rule,
His heart soared in dreams, his spirit kept fuel.
And one day, he knew, his shackles would break,
And he'd be free again, his own path to take.

So take heart, dear traveller, stuck in Schengen's reign,
Though the road may be long, filled with longing and pain.
For the mariner's tale reminds us all true,
That even in confinement, dreams can break through.

(Courtesy of FunBot)

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
When they put your passport through the barcode reader it records entry and exit, the stamp is just for a visual check you will be on the system. If you overstay your 90 days and think you have got away with it you may find out although they may not bring it to your attention when returning to the UK the net time you land in the Zone they might refuse you entry and send you back so wasting the cost of your crossing?

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
When they put your passport through the barcode reader it records entry and exit, the stamp is just for a visual check you will be on the system. If you overstay your 90 days and think you have got away with it you may find out although they may not bring it to your attention when returning to the UK the net time you land in the Zone they might refuse you entry and send you back so wasting the cost of your crossing?
They don't have a joined up database yet, so the stamps are still required.

That will come with the ETIAS.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
"The Prisoner of Schengen".

Once upon a time in old Europe's land,
A mariner wandered, lost upon the strand.
Bound by Schengen's rules, stuck in a foreign maze,
Twas a challenge, dear traveller, to escape its hazy haze.

Oh, the mariner's heart longed for freedom's shore,
To sail unencumbered, forevermore.
But alas! The Schengen rules, like an albatross 'round his neck,
Kept his dreams grounded, his spirit a wreck.

Like a prisoner confined, he yearned to explore,
To cross borders freely, to roam forevermore.
But Schengen's chains held him in their sway,
Limiting his movements, day after day.

In one land he would dwell, for a mere 90 days,
Then the clock would reset, and he'd wander new ways.
But like the ancient mariner, cursed on the sea,
He couldn't escape the chains that held him, you see.

Oh, the frustration, the longing for more,
To experience cultures, to venture ashore.
But Schengen's cold grasp held tight its rein,
Leaving the mariner with nothing but pain.

He dreamt of the mountains, the rivers, the seas,
Of museums and castles, of ancient mysteries.
But Schengen's borders stood tall and strong,
Limiting his adventures, all too long.

So the mariner sighed and bided his time,
Finding solace in stories, in rhythm and rhyme.
He wove tales of travels, of lands far and wide,
Of the beauty and wonders held deep inside.

For though he remained stuck, bound by the rule,
His heart soared in dreams, his spirit kept fuel.
And one day, he knew, his shackles would break,
And he'd be free again, his own path to take.

So take heart, dear traveller, stuck in Schengen's reign,
Though the road may be long, filled with longing and pain.
For the mariner's tale reminds us all true,
That even in confinement, dreams can break through.

(Courtesy of FunBot)
Brilliant!

That is really very good, only a few things which didn't quite ring true, but I wouldn't have guessed AI unless you had put the disclaimer.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Not true, all it tells them is if you have any sort of criminal record against you. Daughter plus her boyfriend are in FCDO and tell me this is still true. His dad is in Home Office as well so I think they’re more up to date than us lot. I do keep checking.

OP
OP
B
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018

At the moment I’m pretty not sure that’s true. The 3 other people in the car exited through French and UK Border control for the second time within the hour and were not pulled over or questioned as to why they had no French entry stamps or hadn't been registered on their customs computer. Obviously UK Border Force simply don’t care.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
At the moment I’m pretty not sure that’s true. The 3 other people in the car exited through French and UK Border control for the second time within the hour and were not pulled over or questioned as to why they had no French entry stamps or hadn't been registered on their customs computer. Obviously UK Border Force simply don’t care.

Why should UK Border Force 'care', because if they are all UK Citizens they have the right to enter and leave UK at will. We do not pay them to police EU/Schengen rules.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Why should UK Border Force 'care', because if they are all UK Citizens they have the right to enter and leave UK at will. We do not pay them to police EU/Schengen rules.

Although you say that, we were once given almost the third degree, entering the UK from Spain. How long have you been out, how long are you coming in for, etcetera, etcetera 😂 even as Spanish residents we are still UK citizens.

I felt like a criminal 😡

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Although you say that, we were once given almost the third degree, entering the UK from Spain. How long have you been out, how long are you coming in for, etcetera, etcetera 😂 even as Spanish residents we are still UK citizens.

I felt like a criminal 😡

I would have been inclined to say that the questions were improper unless he/she thought my passport was fake.

When I first held a Commercial Pilot's Licence the first page gave the holder the right to enter the UK at any time. I once(off-duty) presented that and was waived through. Licences do not have that page now.

Also, at that time, one could enter UK without a passport if one could convince the Immigration Officer that one was British. I imagine that has changed.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I would have been inclined to say that the questions were improper unless he/she thought my passport was fake.

When I first held a Commercial Pilot's Licence the first page gave the holder the right to enter the UK at any time. I once(off-duty) presented that and was waived through. Licences do not have that page now.

Also, at that time, one could enter UK without a passport if one could convince the Immigration Officer that one was British. I imagine that has changed.

Knowing then, what I know now, I would have queried their questions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back