Mrs ET got really excited as we drove into Annecy - shouted with joy 🙄 (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
5299BEF2-220A-4EF8-861D-D354E145D6CE.jpeg

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
since 2006
I remember shopping in the first store in the 70s.

Me 2 but it wasn't the one in Blackpool ,it was a warehouse facing the bus station in Cleveley's before they built the one at the rear of the bus station.
here's a locals take on their beginning.

The true begining of B&Ms is a little different to the above. In early to mid 1960's two young Blackpool people started selling Toilet rolls and household cleaning products on Fleetwood Market. Little did Brian and Pauline know that their small business would end up being a national company turning over £3billion pounds a year!

Malcolm and Pauline Billington opened their first shop on Dickson Road Blackpool (behind the Derby Baths) called Derby Bargains in 1964/5 then went on to open a shop in Kirkham with partners Brian and Rossella Mayman and THEN one in Highfield Road South Shore near the junction with Lytham Road not long after. They also opened in St Annes and Lytham. They called the shops B&M BARGAINS! Both their names had the same initials so B&M's came naturally. It was Brian and Malcolm or Billington and Mayman, either worked!

The history on the internet may tell a different story but as someone who was there I can guarantee this is how it all started!

Cleveleys (1978) was not their first store but their 6th!

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I remember shopping in the first store in the 70s.

Me too, couple of friends an I often had a day out there 🤣
amazing how much you could get in a romahome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Me 2 but it wasn't the one in Blackpool ,it was a warehouse facing the bus station in Cleveley's before they built the one at the rear of the bus station.
here's a locals take on their beginning.

The true begining of B&Ms is a little different to the above. In early to mid 1960's two young Blackpool people started selling Toilet rolls and household cleaning products on Fleetwood Market. Little did Brian and Pauline know that their small business would end up being a national company turning over £3billion pounds a year!

Malcolm and Pauline Billington opened their first shop on Dickson Road Blackpool (behind the Derby Baths) called Derby Bargains in 1964/5 then went on to open a shop in Kirkham with partners Brian and Rossella Mayman and THEN one in Highfield Road South Shore near the junction with Lytham Road not long after. They also opened in St Annes and Lytham. They called the shops B&M BARGAINS! Both their names had the same initials so B&M's came naturally. It was Brian and Malcolm or Billington and Mayman, either worked!

The history on the internet may tell a different story but as someone who was there I can guarantee this is how it all started!

Cleveleys (1978) was not their first store but their 6th!
The one in Kirkham has reverted back to Maymans store We too were there MIL lives round the corner from where the one used to be on Highfield/Lytham Rd

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
There's one just off M27 on the way to Portsmouth. Just right for stocking up all your budget food before the ferry.
A most depressing store.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
When I was about young I asked my mom, you know how people shorten Marks & Spencer to M&S - well, what's C&A stand for then? I don't know Jen - maybe it's Coats & 'Ats?
Paddy was celebrating his new purchase, of a pair of wellies. He was showing them to Murphy and his missus. Look, they even have a 'L' on one, and an 'R' on the other. so that I know the left from the right. Bejesus said the missus, 'that's why it has C&A on me knickers.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Pulling into Gouda earlier this week, a frequent stop for us, wife was really looking forward to visiting C&A. However her bubble burst when she found it closed it's doors last August.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back