MOTORHOME INSURANCE .... AAARGGHHHH (2 Viewers)

Frank Fox

Free Member
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Peugeot
My head is just about exploding and I'm frazzled, I've spent ages doing MH insurance quotes (due 25/4) and it's driving me nuts! I've had stupid quotes from some companies and others won't cover us due to value and/or tracker not being Cat 5. :rollingeyes:

My current insurer is Comfort and last year cost £508 including recovery for 8000 miles, this year it's £683 which is a 34% increase!!!! :swear: I can reduce it to £631 if I go down to 6,000 miles but still a lot more than last year. :whatthe:

So far I've tried Caravan Guard, Safeguard, C&MC (pretending to be a member!), LV, Performance Direct, Lifesure (other less well known ones I can't remember now), not done APlan, NFU or AIB yet as they're telephone quotes only.

Gonna have to spend tomorrow morning ringing around to see if I can get it down as that's a ridiculous % rise. I'll also ring Comfort and tell them just how OTT the cost is, don't suppose it'll do much good though!

Anybody got any suggestions for ones that I might have missed? Also ref NFU - which offices would be the best to ring around my area (East Yorkshire/North Lincolnshire).
Could'nt believe my eyes when I did my insurance in which was 21% higher. Your quote just seems excessive.
Despicable Me Reaction GIF

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I am sure if you do a search you will find plenty of similar threads :whistle2: 🤣
Very droll! :giggle:

Actually I did ... and I did! :LOL: I went through them trying to find the names of companies to try ... hence why my head felt like exploding as not only had I been doing quotes but had read through loads of crap useful info from other funsters too.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I mentioned this back in September last year when my LV multi car premium went up by 77%.
He was taking the 'p' as I'd recently said the same to someone else about finding stuff about MH insurance. :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Try Lexham
I was with Scenic but changed my MH and after some searching and trawling ended with Lexham.Screenshot_20240405_230813_Lexham Insurance.jpg

Cheers🍻

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
As per ny post I'm paying £700 loading for putting MH in secure storage.
I can't see the point of owning a motorhome if less than 12k, but I'm retired.
You have a very expensive asset that you can use?
Pay the money, get out, use it and enjoy it.

Just coming to the end of 56,000 mile, 12 month US toad trip. The US motor insurance was £3,500.
Just the eclipse from Littleton MA, drop the van off at Halifax and a week in Hawaii to complete all 50 State/State Capitols.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Now every one moans about CAMC pricing, maybe the same management are in charge of the motor insurance companies 😉

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

UK insurers have revealed the amount they paid out for motor claims went up by about 18% last year, even as British drivers faced premium increases of more than a third – far above the rises in the rest of Europe.

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) put the average increase for car cover in the UK at 34%, but many drivers have seen rises far exceed that, even doubling in the case of electric vehicles (EVs).

By contrast, car premiums over the same period rose by 6% in Italy, 5% in Spain and 2% in France, according to the recent financial results of one of Britain’s biggest insurers Admiral, which also trades in Europe.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
CAMC came out at £316 Plus £80 Green Flag UK breakdown over £200.00 cheaper than Comfort who i had been with for 9 years, including FREE 1 year membership.

How on earth did you manage that?

Cough. LV last year £319.14 - this year £311.10!

I think they like me. :blusher:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
You will really do better going to see them face to face, honestly, you will just get some junior on the phone who has no idea.
That’s the problem, when you go into a lot of NFU premises they won’t insure you, you have to go home and ring Chichester branch etc to get anywhere, exactly that where we live.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Ignore my previous post, it wasn’t Alford (I blame Terry!) 🙄
I’m insured with NFU at Spilsby.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
My head is just about exploding and I'm frazzled, I've spent ages doing MH insurance quotes (due 25/4) and it's driving me nuts! I've had stupid quotes from some companies and others won't cover us due to value and/or tracker not being Cat 5. :rollingeyes:

My current insurer is Comfort and last year cost £508 including recovery for 8000 miles, this year it's £683 which is a 34% increase!!!! :swear: I can reduce it to £631 if I go down to 6,000 miles but still a lot more than last year. :whatthe:

So far I've tried Caravan Guard, Safeguard, C&MC (pretending to be a member!), LV, Performance Direct, Lifesure (other less well known ones I can't remember now), not done APlan, NFU or AIB yet as they're telephone quotes only.

Gonna have to spend tomorrow morning ringing around to see if I can get it down as that's a ridiculous % rise. I'll also ring Comfort and tell them just how OTT the cost is, don't suppose it'll do much good though!

Anybody got any suggestions for ones that I might have missed? Also ref NFU - which offices would be the best to ring around my area (East Yorkshire/North Lincolnshire).
I'm sure it doesn't apply to you Minxy but my increase was due to Comforts underwriters applying a massive increase to over 75s, my increase was over 50% with them. Moved to Peter Best Insurance Ltd, only 10% more than last year and the premium included a tracker and annual subscription.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That’s the problem, when you go into a lot of NFU premises they won’t insure you, you have to go home and ring Chichester branch etc to get anywhere, exactly that where we live.
We just walked into Stokesley NFU(y) everything that they do is referred to the underwriters so I don't know if each office uses a different underwriter or some just can't be bothered.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We just walked into Stokesley NFU(y) everything that they do is referred to the underwriters so I don't know if each office uses a different underwriter or some just can't be bothered.
Barnard Castle NFU say no Martin, you have to go home and ring the Chichester branch to get anywhere so I presume that’s what a lot of the premises say.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Barnard Castle NFU say no Martin, you have to go home and ring the Chichester branch to get anywhere so I presume that’s what a lot of the premises say.
Is that actually what the branch said?

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Saga very reasonable.
I was with saga on their 3 year deal £690 ,for european cover and breakdown, parked in unsecure car park, 8000mile and 300 excess. on a £30,000 van :rolleyes: Got the renewal and it was £1000 dearer, rang them and even if i upped the excess and lowered the mileage she still couldn't get it under £1000. Renewed with L.V for £640 , same policy but have upped the excess to £800 ( i wouldn't claim unless it was over £1000)and mileage down to 6000 (few health problems means i will not get away as much this year).
Minxy attached is a pdf of insurers for you to try .

Attachments

• Motorhome Insurance Companies.pdf
    840.1 KB · Views: 44
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Last time we renewed it was a lot cheaper through one of the online comparison sites

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Now every one moans about CAMC pricing, maybe the same management are in charge of the motor insurance companies 😉
I'd been with Comfort quite happily for ten years (although I'd never had to test their service) but last Oct they hiked the premium by 24%. After searching comparisons I ended up (surprisingly) with the CAMC (who use Devitt brokers) at 15% less than I'd been paying Comfort before their requested premium hike.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Tried it, that's CAMC in my post above. :(
I took out insurance with them yesterday (Best Quote). Did it online and did not take club membership yet insurance cover was issued. I spoke with 2 advisors over 2 days on queeries. One said no need to join and discount already applied. Other one said you have to join and will get a call around 3 weeks after taking policy out forcing you to join. I cant see them making me join after issuing policy ??? We shall see, no doubt they will try it on.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I took out insurance with them yesterday (Best Quote). Did it online and did not take club membership yet insurance cover was issued. I spoke with 2 advisors over 2 days on queeries. One said no need to join and discount already applied. Other one said you have to join and will get a call around 3 weeks after taking policy out forcing you to join. I cant see them making me join after issuing policy ??? We shall see, no doubt they will try it on.
My CAMC membership expires before the m/h insurance which is through the CAMC. I can't imagine that if I don't renew my CAMC membership that my m/h insurance will become void, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back