MOTORHOME INSURANCE .... AAARGGHHHH (1 Viewer)

Aug 28, 2023
Edinburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift 694
Exp
Bought my motorhome in May 2023
My head is just about exploding and I'm frazzled, I've spent ages doing MH insurance quotes (due 25/4) and it's driving me nuts! I've had stupid quotes from some companies and others won't cover us due to value and/or tracker not being Cat 5. :rollingeyes:

My current insurer is Comfort and last year cost £508 including recovery for 8000 miles, this year it's £683 which is a 34% increase!!!! :swear: I can reduce it to £631 if I go down to 6,000 miles but still a lot more than last year. :whatthe:

So far I've tried Caravan Guard, Safeguard, C&MC (pretending to be a member!), LV, Performance Direct, Lifesure (other less well known ones I can't remember now), not done APlan, NFU or AIB yet as they're telephone quotes only.

Gonna have to spend tomorrow morning ringing around to see if I can get it down as that's a ridiculous % rise. I'll also ring Comfort and tell them just how OTT the cost is, don't suppose it'll do much good though!

Anybody got any suggestions for ones that I might have missed? Also ref NFU - which offices would be the best to ring around my area (East Yorkshire/North Lincolnshire).
I am with Comfort and my premium only went up by £65. Which surprised me given the stories online about increases so I just bought it before they changed their minds.

Apr 22, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat Swift Kontiki
we are with comfort insurance and we have just played £725 and that's for Unlimited mileage. We thought that was a great deal but we have only just got our first motorhome and It's way cheaper than our car insurance.

May 12, 2023
Wallsend, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Atessa
Exp
Since 2011 on and off
My head is just about exploding and I'm frazzled, I've spent ages doing MH insurance quotes (due 25/4) and it's driving me nuts! I've had stupid quotes from some companies and others won't cover us due to value and/or tracker not being Cat 5. :rollingeyes:

My current insurer is Comfort and last year cost £508 including recovery for 8000 miles, this year it's £683 which is a 34% increase!!!! :swear: I can reduce it to £631 if I go down to 6,000 miles but still a lot more than last year. :whatthe:

So far I've tried Caravan Guard, Safeguard, C&MC (pretending to be a member!), LV, Performance Direct, Lifesure (other less well known ones I can't remember now), not done APlan, NFU or AIB yet as they're telephone quotes only.

Gonna have to spend tomorrow morning ringing around to see if I can get it down as that's a ridiculous % rise. I'll also ring Comfort and tell them just how OTT the cost is, don't suppose it'll do much good though!

Anybody got any suggestions for ones that I might have missed? Also ref NFU - which offices would be the best to ring around my area (East Yorkshire/North Lincolnshire).
AIB for me paid £343 last year and had a claim a week after taking out the insurance (my fault hit a German tourist in a VW Camper) claim for my repairs sorted and just had to pay the excess. Was expecting a big rise this year with the quote but came in at £456 so I am happy with that and will stay with AIB the best quote I got was with Ripe for £444 but I don’t know what they are like and guess it’s just a new business quote

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
My LV renewal arrived £289.11 last year £162.52 a 78% increase.
Rang them they knocked £10 off immediately dropped protected no claims settled at £249.61.
Can I ask what age is your van and yourself as there is a heck of a difference between your quote and mine. I am 69 and MH is 5 years old

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP....any update....?

Cheers🍻
Ended up staying with Comfort, did loads and loads of quotes, comparisons, spoke to some companies/brokers, only one came close but with no breakdown so I'd have to get that separately which took it about £40 over Comfort.

Not happy but not really much choice as Comfort wouldn't budge on price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Ended up staying with Comfort, did loads and loads of quotes, comparisons, spoke to some companies/brokers, only one came close but with no breakdown so I'd have to get that separately which took it about £40 over Comfort.

So comfort are still cheaper or in ball park of everyone else so not ripping you off, its just general rises everywhere?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Comfort are the best price on our current van but they really don't like vans over £100k so I've just changed to NFU, ready for the new van.
I think they will be losing a lot of business on new vans.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So comfort are still cheaper or in ball park of everyone else so not ripping you off, its just general rises everywhere?
A 34% rise is a lot so I still think all are ripping us of, most people are able to get quotes way below that increase with providers so something has changed in our area which has made us a higher risk location to all of them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back