Motorhome Blown off a Cliff on the NC500 With Occupants Inside (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Th
Yikes! 😲

Apparently in the Sheildaig area of the NC500.

Facebook link to post Lots of comments under the original post, including from other MH hirers who also lost their business. Doing a quick search on 'motorhomes blown over', as you do, I found lots more than I would've expected. Some with more tragic outcomes than in this case. That said, you do wonder why some people don't seem to use any common sense...

Text from post for those not on FB:
"With a heavy heart (and still utter disbelief) that I’m writing this post….
This is my colleagues motorhome
😮
😩
😳
Their hirers parked it on a cliff top in 50mph winds. They were in it as it blew off the edge and bounced down the hill. They (amazingly!) thankfully survived. His business sadly may not."

Pictures for those not on FB:
View attachment 884314

View attachment 884316
So that explains it! Weather was vile - not just wind but lashing rain and spindrift right across the loch. We could just make out the flashing lights on the opposite side from our lounge window - OH had binoculars out. Glad occupants ok.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
5 decimal places gives you the accuracy to roughly metre level. That tells us which atom they were parked on. 😅
Yip, always use that number of decimal points as gotta make sure the ehu, water hose and tv cable reach the bollard! :whistle2:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Can't understand why it just looks like it is parked up, can' see any dints in the cab, how did it do a 'cat fall' and land on all fours?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
The story is now in the Guardian / Observer, with a little more detail:

And the rental company that supplied the van - Luna Motorhome Hire:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Another lot hiring out 7.4m vans with 6 seats & births saying they can take 4 adults and 2 children @3500kg.
Just you wait and see! This will be the insurers get out clause!:swear2:

All the renters fault as there wasn't 4 adults and 2 kids in the motorhome so was underweight and not properly ballasted!:whistle2::RollEyes:

Jul 22, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We still don't know the full story. When did they actually got out of the van? Surely not when it got to the bottom in pieces?

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
We still don't know the full story. When did they actually got out of the van? Surely not when it got to the bottom in pieces?
A bit more detail here

Very lucky people it would seem . . . .

Oops - sorry. Just seen that someone else posted the same link . . .

Nov 1, 2021
Lanarkshire, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO Time
Exp
Complete newbie
Not a chance it blew over a cliff top in the relatively mild winds just experienced. More likely the handbrake was not properly applied and wheels not chocked. Have seen some very stupid people hiring motorhomes and would not be surprised if they parked on a cliff edge for the view and to enjoy the storm.
Relatively mild winds - you obviously were not in North Scotland when the storm came in. 70-80mph winds. Very uninformed and opinionated post.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
They were parked in a laybye
They were but the lay-by in question is on the cliff edge … the coast road is elevated and runs along the side of a cliff - cliffs above and below. Because there are mountains all around the wind swirls and shifts constantly and gusts can come from any direction.
Our house is diagonally opposite on the other side of the loch … we could see the blue lights of the emergency vehicles through the rain.
I can confirm that it was blowing a hoolie - far from ‘relatively mild’ as suggested in a post above.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If the winds topped 70 miles per hour, a speed that might rock the van and is a speed often driven at, it is NOT anywhere near enough to blow 3.5tonnes over. I live on the south coast right opposite the needles, where wind speeds have regularly gone over 100 miles per hour. And never have I seen a parked motorhome blown over. Even on rallies and camp sites where caravans have tipped over, adjacent motorhomes have stayed upright.

I was parked on a cliff top in Bude Cornwall some years ago when the tail end of a hurricane hit and smashed up the site. Barely any awnings survived (only those at the base of the hill). It was a frightening experience with winds that strong and the van was rocking on the suspension. However not a single van went over. A couple of caravans moved off their levellers, but even they stayed upright.

Opinionated? Yes maybe, but based on first hand experience. The handbrake suggestion fits because I know also from experience that they can and do release if not pulled up tight and the van left in gear. A situation often experienced by campers on levellers.

So yes 70mph winds are relatively mild to what it requires to roll a heavy vehicle sideways over a cliff. Be honest now and tell me how many vans you have personally witnessed being blown over?

Thinking back I recall winds of 125mph shredding a site full of static caravans, ripping roofs off, and dropping trees, but vans on site still left on their wheels. In the big storm in the 1980s that ripped roofs of houses, not one motorhome parked up got blown over. High sided lorries crossing bridges maybe, but not a 7m motorhome. To do so would take a sideways force of over 3 tonnes pushing for several seconds. There are videos online that show testing on vans, lorries and busses to see what the tipping point is that proves this.

Please don't criticise the opinion of somebody that has actually spent the time to consider how this could happen based on the physics. Yes an opinion, but based on knowledge and far more likely than that suggested by the sensationalist journalism

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Just took at the vicious squall in the background ripping spindrift off the water surface.
My experience of the Torridon area is there are very vicious gusts roaming in off the sea an d rolling off the mountains - that squall in the background is easily 70mph given the amount of spray.
IMG_0514.jpeg

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Just took at the vicious squall in the background ripping spindrift off the water surface.
My experience of the Torridon area is there are very vicious gusts roaming in off the sea an d rolling off the mountains - that squall in the background is easily 70mph given the amount of spray.
View attachment 885735
The spindrift was the most impressive I’ve seen yet. We’re a little higher than water level as road rises. Was hard to estimate the height but it looked really impressive as it came over from Sheildaig side towards us! I don’t think you can underestimate how the wind shifts and swirls around the loch due to mountains on both sides. I’m not arguing about it … I don’t know whether it could or couldn’t blow a van off the cliff but I would say that the winds are more complex than many who don’t know the area would assume.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It didn't have to topple the van - a slight movement on a slippery surface towards more sloping ground would do it.

Nov 18, 2016
Rosyth
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2014
Wonder if it was here? We have seen some other folk parked there before.
57.523432532623644, -5.63352026138312
Funnily enough, I wondered the same thing. I parked up there once and the wind was terrifying, made me move and take shelter in the village carpark till it subsided.

Sep 8, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Since 2010
We were on the NC500 in November last year during a really bad storm. We are very experienced motorhomers and sought refuge in a sheltered spot. We were woken in the night to find our habitation door wide open. It had been locked so still don’t know what had happened. The winds had blown it open somehow and damaged the door and it was impossible to close completely. A rubber hammer and ratchet straps helped until we got home. It was a scary experience and just shows how very careful you need to be.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We were on the NC500 in November last year during a really bad storm. We are very experienced motorhomers and sought refuge in a sheltered spot. We were woken in the night to find our habitation door wide open. It had been locked so still don’t know what had happened. The winds had blown it open somehow and damaged the door and it was impossible to close completely. A rubber hammer and ratchet straps helped until we got home. It was a scary experience and just shows how very careful you need to be.
Both your Rolex's stolen as well?:whistle2:

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
this photo
tempImagepFrkrf.png

is taken from 57°31'24.26"N, 5°38'2.00"W
tempImageR3VdWi.png
tempImageuAbgGt.png

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries