bilM

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
This is some of my Triumphs i've had over the years still got the rocket 3.
2022-01-25-11-32-0005.jpg
2022-01-25-11-32-0010.jpg
2022-01-25-11-32-0011.jpg
2022-01-28-15-57-0001.jpg
2022-01-25-11-32-0020.jpg
IMG_0044.JPG

Clive Mott

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
Yep, Conventional trailer. We had a lightweight aluminium box trailer made by Teale Services and it has a drop down loading ramp, Just ride the bike in.. Easy. Today it carries a small sidecar outfit. Found after many years the BMW GS and RS too tall so also have a 1100 Honda Rebel for solo.

Attachments

• 16646938218405887114063007400637.jpg
    16646938218405887114063007400637.jpg
    597.5 KB · Views: 51
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Seeing your previous bikes, I've got a 1989 VFR750 that I bought in 1994 and still have now! That has been pretty much everywhere over the years - including all round Europe with a mate on a FJ1100.

If you're tall enough, I know that everyone has them but the R1200GS is brilliant - there is a good reason everyone has them! I bought an Adventure 3 years ago, it's so comfortable and versatile. Current model is the 1250 but to be honest I don't think it's worth it, a late model ('14 onwards I think) liquid cooled 1200 is pretty much the same bike for a lot less money. You really can throw them around, they handle very well. I honestly don't see much point in a faired tourer when the GS is so good, you're pretty well protected behind the bodywork on the Adventure model at least. If you want to go less money again then the older models were always highly rated as well.

As for a trailer - I was chatting to a bloke at our local supermarket recently, he had a whacking great LT on a trailer behind his motorhome. The trailer was one that pumped up and down on air suspension, he swore by how easy it was to use. Not cheap but it does look very good.

https://airtrailer.nl/en/motorcycle-trailers-airtrailer-mono/
You don’t have to be tall to have a GSA. I’m 5’8 and have a low suspension model. Just been to France for a few days and with the Adventure model’s tank being good for over 300 miles makes for relaxed touring. Don’t let your lack of height stop you trying out the GS, fantastic bikes!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheyenne
Exp
27 years
My husband and I have toured loads on motorbikes mainly Goldwings and BMW 1600 which we also carried on our RV but when we downsized we have a Burgmann 650 on an in-line trailer most of the time but when we tour France to the big motorbike shows and there are loads we take a box trailer with our custom Honda Valkyrie it’s a great way to get around

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Legend
I used to tour Europe when I was in my 40's on an FJ1200 and before that a VFR 750 with my wife riding pillion and was thinking about my retirement coming up in another year. I made the mistake of going onto to gumtree to 'just have a look' at what bikes were for sale and surprise surprise I think I've caught the bug again. There's some fantastic BMW's around R1200 RT'S, K1200GT'S and R1150 RT'S for ridiculously small amounts. They're old but reading reviews they're built to last.
Anyway just day dreaming and it might not ever happen but using an easy lift trailer would my 4.5 tonne Hymer be able to tow one of these big tourers down to France and Spain and even over mountain passes?
I have had a Beemers both RT and K 1300GT. I now have a Harley Davidson Sport Glide. I tour Europe every year on bikes and have done so for the past 20 years. My advice to you would be if you're taking a bike with you behind the Moho then don't go for a tourer. Go for someone fun on the twitsties that makes you smile. My Harley Sports Glide does exactly that, fantastic fun on small roads and bends and still capable of touring. If you're towing the bike then you're already there, get something fun to ride at destination.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• IMG_20220728_173254433_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220728_173254433_HDR.jpg
    767.9 KB · Views: 42
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
My advice to you would be if you're taking a bike with you behind the Moho then don't go for a tourer. Go for someone fun on the twitsties that makes you smile
I would agree with that, I didn't want to tow a trailer so was a bit limited as to what would fit into the garage, ideally I would have preferred something that could cope with a bit of off road say a KTM 690 enduro to get up mountain tracks etc. but just didn't have the height in the garage, so bought an SV650 to enjoy the twisties, it's a fun bike to ride but in a different way to the KTM.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
No 15 secs i had a higest bib ready £955, 5 secs some T@@t bid £975

No, he probably bid a max of £1117.27 but £975 was sufficient to beat your, or other bidders, highest bid. The winning bid may be considerably less than the winner’s maximum bid.

Ian

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
You don’t have to be tall to have a GSA. I’m 5’8 and have a low suspension model. Just been to France for a few days and with the Adventure model’s tank being good for over 300 miles makes for relaxed touring. Don’t let your lack of height stop you trying out the GS, fantastic bikes!
Good to know. I'm about 6'1" and whilst the standard model is fine, I do tend to get marks on the pillion seat where I hit it with boot buckles swinging my leg over! More to do with my lack of flexibility than anything else I suspect. A ballet dancer I am most definitely not.

Going to the Isle of Man TT this year, bike was well loaded with kit, including on the pillion seat. No room to swing my leg over the pillion seat in the usual way, so it was "hop with one leg forward & up like the can-can" to get over the riders seat. That was (just) OK but made getting on and off the bike in the cramped confines of the boat a bit interesting!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
On side stand, Left foot on left peg, stand on it, leg over , easy peasy.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
On side stand, Left foot on left peg, stand on it, leg over , easy peasy.
Not for me it's not! Have tried that many times, never got on with it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740FGJ
Exp
Since 1986
I saw a Yamaha albeit a 125cc where the stand had broken a lump out of the frame, Abused, no other answer

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
A modern well built bike will have a stand that will happily cope with that all day long
Ah, right.
I've never had modern bike. The youngest in my collection is from 1954 and it pivots on a lug welded to the tubular frame rail.

Side stand 1947.JPG

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
I'd never do that. Side stands and frames aren't designed to take the additional weight.
Sorry to disagree but I think they are, it's common practise to pivot the entire weight of a bike on the sidestand to turn it around in a tight space........they dont break 👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free S 600
Exp
Extensively by motorcycle, now trying it with a little more luxury!
I’ve never been without a bike for over 48 years (old git), had loads of BMW’s, last four bikes being GS’s, couple of Harley’s before them (shame of it) and currently own an R1250GS.
My favourite bike of all time was my 1996 BMW R1100RT, bought at three months old, traded a newish Honda Pan European for it, and toured all over France, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium and the UK of course with Liz on the pillion. I’ve never done as many miles on any other bike.
I would go for as late as possible R1150RT, around 2003/4 before the 1200 came out. Service history and condition under the body work being the things to check.
I recently considered selling my R1250GS and buying an older cheaper bike and the R1150RT was top of the list.
I have a 1250GS TE HP, it's the second one, the first packed up after 3 months, the replacement also has several issues, a fantastic bike to ride and tour on but crap build quality, especially as supposed to be a premium brand and that I paid £25K with all the extras.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Mines a Jan 2021 Triple Black TE and no issues so far, fingers crossed. In tomorrow for the drive shaft service action + servicing.
Love the bike but the complexity does concern me for a long term ownership.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free S 600
Exp
Extensively by motorcycle, now trying it with a little more luxury!
Mines a Jan 2021 Triple Black TE and no issues so far, fingers crossed. In tomorrow for the drive shaft service action + servicing.
Love the bike but the complexity does concern me for a long term ownership.
Mine was in a couple of weeks ago for issues, I mentioned the drive shaft mod, they weren't bothered about doing it, just basically saying that if it fails, they will replace the shaft assembly, which has left me wondering as the warranty as just expired!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Mine was in a couple of weeks ago for issues, I mentioned the drive shaft mod, they weren't bothered about doing it, just basically saying that if it fails, they will replace the shaft assembly, which has left me wondering as the warranty as just expired!
I’d be going to another dealer, if it fails it’d be more than just the shaft that gets damaged.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
We had an easylifter and towing was never a problem

However the weight of the BMW might be an issue. We used a Kawasaki ER6N at 190kg dry it was about as heavy as I would want to put on the easylifter

The issue is when reversing the easylifter wheels spin 180degrees and the bike leans away from the van at 25 to 30 degrees from vertical

I think the easylifter is rated at 250kg!!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
I have a 1250GS TE HP, it's the second one, the first packed up after 3 months, the replacement also has several issues, a fantastic bike to ride and tour on but crap build quality, especially as supposed to be a premium brand and that I paid £25K with all the extras.
Sadly that is the experience of a lot of my mates who are now moving away from BMW. They had fantastic build quality years ago but nowadays seem to be trading on an old reputation as the newer stuff just isn't as good.

Likes collected
Funster No
Sadly that is the experience of a lot of my mates who are now moving away from BMW. They had fantastic build quality years ago but nowadays seem to be trading on an old reputation as the newer stuff just isn't as good.
And nostalgia isn't what it used to be 🤔😉😀👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Pal of mine has just bought a new K1600GT. It’s been recovered on a breakdown truck twice and broken down three times. Had an oil leak from behind the water pump that had to be replaced.

Three months old.😱

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
They have become outrageously expensive now for what they are. Mind you, that never seems to put folks off Harleys.

I've got a 2014 1200GS Adventure TE, the build quality seems OK with the exception of the corrosion resistance. Whilst the bike is easy to service myself and I'd be happy to do repairs, I admit the complexity of it - things like the adjustable-on-the-move suspension - does bother me for the long term.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
They have become outrageously expensive now for what they are. Mind you, that never seems to put folks off Harleys.

I've got a 2014 1200GS Adventure TE, the build quality seems OK with the exception of the corrosion resistance. Whilst the bike is easy to service myself and I'd be happy to do repairs, I admit the complexity of it - things like the adjustable-on-the-move suspension - does bother me for the long term.
As I said previously, £3.5k for a new RSU fitted by BMW. A company called Revs Suspension in Halesowen have been replacing out of warranty suspension units for years at a much cheaper price than OEM BMW. Steering locks that won't disengage, corrosion on carb bodies and engine, corrosion on swinging arm (whole new rear end), final drive failures, battery failures causing spurious faults, fork legs corroding and refusal to do under warranty. Sadly the list goes on and on... all bikes / cars have faults but when you are paying top dollar for them it really should be a step above crap quality. In "our group" most of us rode BMW's of varying styles and ages, now only one chap has a R1250R the rest of us have swopped to other brands. A Suzuki Vstrom 1250, NT100, 2 x KTM 1290 SAS, Tiger 900, VFR800 (yes they still do them)..etc etc. We are all "mature" and fed up of paying top dollar for poor product. For all the jokes about KTM my last 1290 SAS did 10k miles in 14 months and didn't miss a beat, the 790 Duke has done 5k+ in 18 months without issue. My new 2022 SAS did have some teething issues but they are now sorted by a great dealer (Redline Loughborough) and at 6k miles it is running in nicely. BMW have lost the plot IMHO, very sad considering how mighty they were

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back