Sapper520

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I'm loving this thread. I'm 5'6" with 28 inch inside leg and would love to buy a used BMW motorcycle of at least 750cc that will fit me comfortably (max 30/31 inch seat height) but there are so many variants and seat heights that the mind boggles. Can anyone distill it down a bit for me and maybe point me in the direction I should be looking please?? Many thanks. Sean

Are you set on a BMW?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
On 4th van so not a total newbie....
I find the big GS models a bit top heavy, I prefer my 33 year old R80RT which has happily conveyed us around Europe trouble free
Thats a beauty, a friend had one, I had a '92 R65 but fitted an RS fairing and Krausers, took me all over Europe, probably the "best" overall bike I've ever had, enough performance to make it fun, but would cruise all day, and when ridden right could leave behind "amateur" sports bike riders (I used to be an instructor and did a lot of miles on it so knew the handling and could throw it around)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
6m Campervan
Are you set on a BMW?
No, not necessarily, I'm attracted by the fact that generally speaking you hear nothing but positive feedback from people who own/ride them. I own a 1976 Bonneville and struggle to get it to run reliably so loath to take it on long trips. Looking for something that will always start and run reliably.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Fantastic thread. Seems that Motorhomers love touring Motorcycles and vice versa. I suppose its the romance and adventure of the open road ahead and not knowing what the coming days will bring. Hitch a touring bike to a MH and you have the ultimate nomad experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
Fantastic thread. Seems that Motorhomers love touring Motorcycles and vice versa. I suppose its the romance and adventure of the open road ahead and not knowing what the coming days will bring. Hitch a touring bike to a MH and you have the ultimate nomad experience.
Years ago we all toured on bikes, camping or youth hostels etc, now we just want a bit of comfort, keeping dry, our own beds, and a bike for when the weather is good, we have all turned soft!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
No, not necessarily, I'm attracted by the fact that generally speaking you hear nothing but positive feedback from people who own/ride them. I own a 1976 Bonneville and struggle to get it to run reliably so loath to take it on long trips. Looking for something that will always start and run reliably.
You have lots of options for "low" bikes now. BMW do a low chassis option and a low seat as well but bear in mind lower chassis often means much less ground clearance. A mate has a Tiger 800 "low" and when he is two up his ground clearance is woeful and sometimes dangerous. I am 5"8, 29 inside let so I also have to pick my ride carefully. The big bike is a 2022 KTM Super Adventure S which has fully adjustable suspension. With 30% pre load set on the rear (I am quite chunky) I can touch the ground just fine, dial the pre load to zero and I can flat foot it. On a recent tour around Scotland I would pull up and drop the pre load to zero, this enabled me to lift the bike off the side stand easily with all the luggage loaded. Once upright the pre load went up to 50% in a few seconds... perfect 😀Our 790 Duke which goes in the back of our van is actually taller when set for Pillion use than the 1290, despite being a much smaller bike. Us "normal size people" now have a lot more choice in the bike department. As a complete aside ... lots of us have moved away from BMW bikes due to the attitude of the dealers when the bikes are out of warranty, they want to rinse your wallet dry and are often less keen to approach BMW for goodwill payments. A mate got stranded in Austria in the summer with a RSU failure, he had the extended BMW warranty and they refused to pay for the rsu as the bike had done more than 30k miles. £3.5k later it is fixed....BMW reliability isn't maybe as good as it was.

Sapper520

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020

Our Honda’s are really smooth (a little too smooth after my old Fazer 1000) but never let us down.

My CBF1000F has got 3 height positions. I’ve got a 29” inside leg, and the middle position is just right when empty, but when fully loaded I can easily get my feet flat. My wife’s CBF600SA is very similar and great to ride.

If you have to rely on garages for all your maintenance BMW’s can be rather expensive. We’ve got a local garage that are pretty good and a lot cheaper (and better) than Fowlers in Bristol.

Before we had our current bikes, we looked at getting a couple of Triumph Tigers…..price wasn’t too bad, but running costs were eye watering.

Our youngest son has got a Yamaha Tracer 900 (previous model to the one out now)…..absolutely fantastic bike…..but even on the lowest seat setting as me struggling. I’d have to have the suspension lowered if I had one.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Jopparocks,

Here is a photo of a suspended motorcycle carrier.

Attachments

• 12D5705E-49F7-4199-A177-3C85186C4CF7.png
    12D5705E-49F7-4199-A177-3C85186C4CF7.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 56

Sapper520

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Years ago we all toured on bikes, camping or youth hostels etc, now we just want a bit of comfort, keeping dry, our own beds, and a bike for when the weather is good, we have all turned soft!

When we weren’t on tour we were only fair weather riders. Throughout the year, but didn’t do wet or ice.

On tour, we had no choice. But we always had our next hotel booked, so even after a wet day we had a hot shower and food to go to. What finished us with the big tours was our last time in Spain. We’d planned 5 days to get from Cadiz back to Santander, but had a email from BF’s…..having problems with Pont Aven, get to Bilbao in three days (2 nights) or pick your port in Northern France. :eek:

Got to Bilbao having travelled the last day in pouring rain, and it was still raining, pulled into our lane alongside the Motorhomes……having their hot drinks and food……you can guess the rest.;)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I’ve still got mine tucked away in the garage jopparocks 👍

View attachment 671364
Snap! I've got a white FJ variant as well, bought in '94, under a cover in the garage. 80k miles and barring a new clutch the engine has never been apart.

Yours has the original exhausts I see - that's rare, the pipes under the engine nearly always rot out. Mine has a Motad Datum as a result, so do nearly all others. I've actually got a tatty but complete red one as well, bought for bits but to be honest it's too good to use. I suspect it'll stay tucked up buried in the corner of my garage and then one day get sold as a restoration project, especially as all the plastics are still there.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Talking about big bikes🤣🤣🤣

Having had a few Honda Goldwings and ST1300s in recent years and carried a Honda PCX scooter on my last Motorhome, I purchased this little electric moped a few months ago - as I just downsized my Motorhome to under 3500kgs to allow my family to use it. This meant I couldn’t fit a tow bar and carrier as well as carry my scooter, as it would have been beyond the load limit.

This little bike is road legal, weighs only 35kgs without the battery fitted (which is another 10kgs). It has a top speed of 30mph but can be derestricted to allow it to be faster for those with the appropriate licence. It has a range of around 30 miles on one charge and being electric is Road Tax free.

For those who sat their car driving test before 1997 if can be driven legally on that car driving licence without L plates. For those who passed their car test after 1997 they would have to complete a 1 day CBT and drive it with L plates until passing a motorcycle test.

As you can see it is so light it can be carried on a rear cycle carrier, which I modified by fitting a removable ramp that can also be used to roll it into the Motorhome garage - if I wanted to have it carried more discreetly and out of site. It actually weighs less than our two cycles.

Not for everyone I am sure 😀 but for around £1900 new, it gives mobility while away to pop out to do any errands needed. For the money - a great little bit of kit.

Attachments

• 5775D359-ABB5-4D91-83E3-CC971E104CEE.jpeg
    5775D359-ABB5-4D91-83E3-CC971E104CEE.jpeg
    614.8 KB · Views: 52
  • E9B8A784-7567-43F2-B76D-F64AB46CA87A.jpeg
    E9B8A784-7567-43F2-B76D-F64AB46CA87A.jpeg
    682.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 2A835A53-B838-4DE6-928E-930C69F5F182.jpeg
    2A835A53-B838-4DE6-928E-930C69F5F182.jpeg
    711.7 KB · Views: 51
  • B4B2A6B1-D120-4572-9CDF-AE30F2B89123.jpeg
    B4B2A6B1-D120-4572-9CDF-AE30F2B89123.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 51
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Carried me and wife round Europe with ne'er a problem. I believe that they made a mess of their first VFR's and had to rescue reputation so made subsequent engines to such a high standard that they were nigh on perfect.
No, not at all - but close! What you're thinking of is the VF750 - that, along with other Honda's of it's day, had camchain tensioner problems and had the infamous "Cadbury Cams", that went from being lumpy to being round rather too quickly. It was killing Honda's reputation for quality, in America especially, where I think it was known as the "Interceptor".

The VFR was the answer to that, hence the gear driven cams. The very first ones - FG and FH models - had 16" front wheels which made them a bit twitchy, they also had a fairing only in 2 pieces, made it very pricey if dropped. They were quickly followed by the 2nd generation, FJ/FK models which came with 17" front wheels, vastly improving tyre choice, a 4 piece fairing and a few other niceties like a clock. Other than that they were very similar. I've got a 1989 FJ.

Rumour has it that all these early VFRs were built at a large loss by Honda, as they were over-engineered to salvage their reputation. I knew a Dispatcher in Birmingham who had a FG with 300k miles on the clock, on the original, untouched engine, barring a 2 new clutches. Mine has done 80k.

They were the last of the "normal" swingarm models, as they went into the 1990's and the FL onwards they all became single sided.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
As an ex motorcycle instructor, I can say that all motorcycles are good, but some are better than others! If I can’t do an oil change and most maintenance by myself it’s not a proper motorcycle! BMW lost me as a customer when you had to plug in a computer to do anything! You can’t change the oil on a new bmw without plugging in to put the service light out! I have an fjr1300, GL1500 Goldwing, Xt250serow, and a Suzuki address 110 all of which I can service myself! Alas at 64 with newly diagnosed arthritis and asthma and no longer having a garage it’s becoming more difficult to look after my bikes. I am putting my bikes up for sale as I can’t take them all to Portugal with me, so today I’ve put a Watling scooter rack on my van and will try out taking my scooter on trips and if that doesn’t work it’ll be electric pushbikes for me👍😁
You know though, new Beemers are not at all difficult to service yourself.

I'm very much of the 70's and 80's when it comes to bikes, so it's carbs not fuel injection and no laptops required! My old VFR750 I can service with my eyes shut.

Then, with some trepidation, I got a 2014 R1200GS Adventure, which is pretty much the same as the current R1250GS. It's *really* easy to service at home - easier than the VFR in fact. The bodywork is a bit fiddly, but there's no carbs to adjust, cylinder heads stick right out making valve clearance checks a doddle, shaft drive oil change is much easier than faffing about with chains, etc. Not only can you get a Haynes manual for it, there's also a rather nerdy American who sells what is actually a very good DVD giving step by step servicing instructions.

Yes, you do need a gizmo to reset the service light - but you could just ignore the service light, nothing happens, in fact it's not even a light it just says service on one side on the LCD dash. That gizmo is best part of £300, which I did baulk at a bit, but it's easy enough to use and also enables you to ready any fault codes.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
Talking about big bikes🤣🤣🤣

Having had a few Honda Goldwings and ST1300s in recent years and carried a Honda PCX scooter on my last Motorhome, I purchased this little electric moped a few months ago - as I just downsized my Motorhome to under 3500kgs to allow my family to use it. This meant I couldn’t fit a tow bar and carrier as well as carry my scooter, as it would have been beyond the load limit.

This little bike is road legal, weighs only 35kgs without the battery fitted (which is another 10kgs). It has a top speed of 30mph but can be derestricted to allow it to be faster for those with the appropriate licence. It has a range of around 30 miles on one charge and being electric is Road Tax free.

For those who sat their car driving test before 1997 if can be driven legally on that car driving licence without L plates. For those who passed their car test after 1997 they would have to complete a 1 day CBT and drive it with L plates until passing a motorcycle test.

As you can see it is so light it can be carried on a rear cycle carrier, which I modified by fitting a removable ramp that can also be used to roll it into the Motorhome garage - if I wanted to have it carried more discreetly and out of site. It actually weighs less than our two cycles.

Not for everyone I am sure 😀 but for around £1900 new, it gives mobility while away to pop out to do any errands needed. For the money - a great little bit of kit.
That looks interesting, do you have a link to it?

Did you have any trouble insuring it?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Hi, Wh05apk.
It is relatively new to the UK. It is called a Coopop! It comes in two models. I bought the “Rugged” model which has chunkier tyres and different front light unit. The other one is called a “Cox” and all come in a range of colours. The Rugged is around £50 more. The chunkier tyres give a little bit noisier ride.

I had to search a bit for insurance a few months ago as a number of them didn’t have the bike on their database yet - and as a result couldn’t insure it. I did find a few and opted for Bikesure Insurance. I suspect as the months go on, others will add it to their database.

There are a number of YouTube videos - just search on Youtube for Coopop

I bought mine from directbikes.co.uk. They are a Scottish based motorcycle business who deliver regularly around the UK for a small additional charge as they are moving a number of bikes weekly. I found them initially through their listing on eBay. Excellent to deal with. I collected from their premises.

johnbanks.co.uk based in Suffolk also sell them and there may be others. Just google search for Coopop.

I hope this is helpful.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
BTW Wh05apk,

The ramp was purchased online on eBay for £40 and it was an easy fit to my Fiamma cycle rack using 2 bolts with butterfly nuts - to make it easy to remove for use, if storing in my Motorhome garage area.
If carrying it on the Fiamma rack I remove the battery (10kgs) just to reduce the weight a bit. There is still room on the rack to carry cycles.

It is manufactured with a steering lock, audible alarm and remote, and if moved the rear wheel locks up. However, it is so light it could be stolen and lifted into the boot of a car very easily. As a result I also have an Oxford Monster chain that I use if popping into a shop etc. I also have a simple helmet lock fitted to the handlebars. As you will know, if someone really wants to steal your bike, that and other items are unlikely to stop them - but it is at least a further deterrent (hopefully).

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
My father worked for Matchless/AJS/AMC at Plumstead where I was born and I was transported in a sidecar attached to a G9 before I could walk. I’ve had my own motorcycles for the past 50 odd years - Suzuki T250J was the first - and have always had at least one on the go since then. In 2000 as a joint silver wedding anniversary present Mrs Orion and I were looking for a machine that we could tour extensively on. The criteria were (for me) shaft or belt drive, and (for her) it had to “look like a ‘proper’ motorcycle without plastic hiding everything.” So that limited our choice somewhat! After discounting some of the limited options either on grounds of cost or availability we settled on our Moto Guzzi California EV. After having the riders and pillion seats and backrest re-upholstered and putting 500 miles on the engine for a first oil and filter change, we headed off on a month long tour of Euroland, taking in Spain, Andorra, France, Switzerland, a full loop around Italy before heading up to Cherbourg for the ferry. All accomplished with two 30ltr panniers - mine half full with tools/spares (of course!) - and a small backpack on the rack. Given subsequent holiday packing ‘adventures’ how she managed to return with at least one unworn top has remained one of life’s great unanswered mysteries! :unsure: There’s something about the 270 degree V-Twin that’s both soothing and exciting at the same time, plus it handles really well, which isn’t surprising as the Tonti frame is almost identical to the original LeMans.

Anyhow, since then we’ve had great annual adventures on the Guzzi and latterly, with my son and fellow Guzzistas - two very close friends are also California converts - have been on annual pilgrimages to all points south and east - Covid permitting.

The Cali at the back is our keeper, the Centauro in the foreground I keep threatening to sell (until I take it for a ride!) and the other one and a half LeMans in the garage are a ‘maybe’!

View attachment 671290

Our California EV.

View attachment 671293
My uncle worked at the same plant and acquired a lot of parts to put a new bike together we lived in Woolwich

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Without wishing to start a two wheeled A frame debate I believe these don't comply with current regulations and should only be used for recovery purposes and at a max speed of 40mph.
I don't think I would be too happy pulling a bike through the headstock or forks as that is not what they are designed designed for.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Loved this bike wish I'd never it sold but a guy in France made me an offer I couldn't refuse... kicked myself ever since.
183840720_f63060b232.jpg

Then bought the Rocket. That did put a smile back on my face. Towed it in a Brenderup box trailer.
20140503_141735-1.jpg

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
I'm loving this thread. I'm 5'6" with 28 inch inside leg and would love to buy a used BMW motorcycle of at least 750cc that will fit me comfortably (max 30/31 inch seat height) but there are so many variants and seat heights that the mind boggles. Can anyone distill it down a bit for me and maybe point me in the direction I should be looking please?? Many thanks. Sean
Hi Sean

I am 5’7” with a 26” to 27” inside leg so know where you are coming from.

Last 3 bikes have been

No modifications
ZZR1400
Sprint GT

Some changes
Current ride is a 2019 R1250RT LE
Which has the BMW low seat set on its lowest setting. Still can’t get both feet flat on the ground but can get enough to be happy to ride it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
However, it is so light it could be stolen and lifted into the boot of a car very easily. As a result I also have an Oxford Monster chain that I use if popping into a shop etc. As you will know, if someone really wants to steal your bike, that and other items are unlikely to stop them - but it is at least a further deterrent (hopefully).

Chatting about security to my classic bike insurer he said that a heavy chain deters casual thieves if it's also put around a solid post.
However, bikes are very rarely ridden away but stolen by scrotes in reflective jackets arriving in a van with a temp/magnetic sign saying something like 'Acme Motorcycle Recovery'. They just chuck it in the van and are gone in minutes.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Chatting about security to my classic bike insurer he said that a heavy chain deters casual thieves if it's also put around a solid post.
However, bikes are very rarely ridden away but stolen by scrotes in reflective jackets arriving in a van with a temp/magnetic sign saying something like 'Acme Motorcycle Recovery'. They just chuck it in the van and are gone in minutes.
Yes, Sorry I neglected to say it should be put around a fixed object. That said, a cordless angle grinder could still cut through it is seconds - so as I said earlier, if they are going to steal it they will - you can only hope to deter the more’ casual’ thief!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Without wishing to start a two wheeled A frame debate I believe these don't comply with current regulations and should only be used for recovery purposes and at a max speed of 40mph.
I don't think I would be too happy pulling a bike through the headstock or forks as that is not what they are designed designed for.
Hi,

I wasn’t advocating this unit. In fact I recommended a trailer earlier. I was only giving the OP an option that was on the market. I (like I think you from your avatar) have had ‘wings’ and without doubt I would never contemplate carrying mine on it - just as I would not contemplate carrying it on most if not all transverse racks including the Easylifter mentioned by the OP based on my experience with one - but that does not make them unsuitable for some users. As far the legality and affect on the bike - then I bow to your knowledge on that one - but it is concerning then that they are being sold in the UK market if not legal. That of course wouldn’t be the first time for things to be sold that don’t meet legal specifications.

Horses for courses I guess - dependant on the size/weight of your bike!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
I’ve read a few posts about the seat height on the GS as I’ve said before I’ve got the 750GS sport, I’ve only got a 29” leg, the sport gets electronic suspension and at its lowest setting I can get 3/4 flat footed on both side, I can’t push it backwards if sat on it but I think that’s more down to its weight and I weigh 9 stone. You can get a lower seat as well but in the end I didn’t bother I’m happy as it is.
I love my BMW 750 GS Sport and would recommend anyone to give it a test ride just make sure it’s the sport with electronic suspensio.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
I still have a R1150GS bought new in April 2001, have toured Europe on it and done several trips to Spain and Portugal, mostly with a tent... (from Calais).

Must admit that since getting our moho, I haven't used it much at allView attachment 670337
Mine was Mandarin! It went with 89000 on the clock and I have since had a Triumph Explorer and a Rocket III. Now the V-Strom.

On the subject of towing. I overtook a large moho in Aragon on the N230 last week with a sort of two wheel trailer on the tow bar that was carrying a large motorcycle sideways across the back, covered with a proper bike cover. Never seen one before. The bike look hefty! Any ideas?

Does that nullify your 3500kgs weight ?

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!