More greeting faced locals complaining about motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Getting as bad as Cornwall these days. I've not ventured north since 2017 because if wingers like these.

That report seemed to be based on comments from 4 people: including a van driver who cannot turn round and the host of a B&B complaining that they do not like the type of person booking through BnB, so presumably not MHomers, but they have not taken their bookings off BnB. And one person who lives on Skye Oh Please!.

At the foot of the article the Sun also advertises that they will pay for contributions, so I wonder how much those 4 got paid.

Rubbish journalism.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's overrated anyway. I won't be going again
Emperors new clothes.
It used to be a lovely area to visit. Then loads of folk who weren't born there bought houses and business's and now they don't like other people visiting . The locals I met when I travelled there years back were welcoming and friendly . Now they complain about everything . It's this territorial mindset folk have these days unfortunately.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Its a free Country. If they don't like it they can move elsewhere. They don't have any more right than anyone else to be there do they?

Its annoying. Suck it up. So long as no one is doing anything illegal or antisocial.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
the funny thing is the NC500 came about to bring much needed tourist money to the outlying communities.
Now we are all sassenachs lol

of course its the few ruining it for the masses, but my experience each time I go up there is Im always told how we are either
A: pinching their water????
B: causing mayhem to quiet spots and Loch areas(of cooooourse no scots ever visit the lochs etc)
C: dont take care of the countryside (all Scots obviously do)

they can keep it, there are better places and less hassle, Ardrossan is the farthest for me now, and thats only as I have friends there.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Exp
Getting as bad as Cornwall these days. I've not ventured north since 2017 because if wingers like these.

never been North of Moffat in 5 years , been there and done it enough in the past
dont get me wrong the North and North West of Scotland has some wonderful scenery but I'd rather go south or across the channel
Bad enough last time we did the NC 500 as the locals would give you the Death stare every time you parked up

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
the funny thing is the NC500 came about to bring much needed tourist money to the outlying communities.
Now we are all sassenachs lol

of course its the few ruining it for the masses, but my experience each time I go up there is Im always told how we are either
A: pinching their water????
B: causing mayhem to quiet spots and Loch areas(of cooooourse no scots ever visit the lochs etc)
C: dont take care of the countryside (all Scots obviously do)

they can keep it, there are better places and less hassle, Ardrossan is the farthest for me now, and thats only as I have friends there.
It's not unique to Scotland. The Spanish have had their fair share of issues with MH's and more recently Norway.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
It used to be a lovely area to visit. Then loads of folk who weren't born there bought houses and business's and now they don't like other people visiting . The locals I met when I travelled there years back were welcoming and friendly . Now they complain about everything . It's this territorial mindset folk have these days unfortunately.
I got banned off an NC500 Faceache page because I questioned one person moaning about illegal camping, he went on about someone needs to do something about it. Turns out he is a southern softy incomer and owns the page that he is moaning on, he lives in Reay and doesn’t want anyone else to enjoy Scotland now that he lives there.
No loss really as I’m never likely to go that way again.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
So long as no one is doing anything illegal or antisocial.
indeed,
but therein lies the problem.. laws are being broken, and peoples lives disrupted by the sheer volume of tourist traffic on roads that were never designed for it.

The surge in tourism along the NC500 has raised concerns about its environmental impact. Irresponsible waste disposal, increased pollution, and disturbance of wildlife habitats are some of the challenges faced by the region.

Frustrations over dangerous driving and littering, problems which are not unique to the NC500, are said to have led to some vigilante action from locals including blocking passing places and for the Highlands but it must not be done at the expense of those who live there.

There is a balance to be struck, says Maree Todd, SNP MSP for Caithness, Sutherland and Ross. Tourism is a crucial money-spinner for the Highlands but she says it must not be done at the expense of those who live there

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
the locals up there are always mentioning littering but they don't seem to mind just abandoning their cars and other vehicle and leaving them to rot when they reach the end of their life.
Another thing that gets me is the big cave at Gary Beach that the locals like to use as the toilet. We wanted to walk through it but were asked if we could wait till his wife had finished in there. The time it took she wasn't just in for a pee either. No doubt if anyone came across her deposit the motorhomers would get the blame.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
It was great when known as the coast road i travelled it many a time.
Then they gave it a name and promotion and it is a victim of the success
I would like to visit the area but all theses flaming vans taking up space that I want I don't think it will happen soon :rofl:
Ring of kerry the same on the must do tick box listers
There us another peninsular that I think far nicer but not telling which one :imoutahere:

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I would like to visit the area but all theses flaming vans taking up space that I want I don't think it will happen soon :rofl:
There us another peninsular that I think far nicer but not telling which one :imoutahere:
I found Ireland to be similar unfortunately.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Iberian?

Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
We got up as far as Glen coe in May thinking it would not be to busy.We were wrong.we spent 2 nights around Glencoe ,turned around and made out way back to Dumfries and Galloway.
It was just way to busy for us.
We are heading back up in September, But not up north. Were heading to the Mull of Kintyre for a week,then once again D and G for a week
👍

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
indeed,
but therein lies the problem.. laws are being broken, and peoples lives disrupted by the sheer volume of tourist traffic on roads that were never designed for it.

The surge in tourism along the NC500 has raised concerns about its environmental impact. Irresponsible waste disposal, increased pollution, and disturbance of wildlife habitats are some of the challenges faced by the region.

Yes but being part of a sheer volume of traffic is not illegal or antisocial. It wouldn't be what I would want to do, but I would claim the right to do it if I wanted to.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If I can't get to Europe this winter I'd hoped to go up north for a week or 2 in October but I think I might just go over to the south west coast around Ayrshire and the Galloway forest instead. Or perhaps a bit of the north east coast . Can't be doing with whiny locals complaining.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I found Ireland to be similar unfortunately.
Yes Southern Ireland started to see euros not people when Northern Ireland opened up it was like the South used to be not been for a long time bit do need to visit didn't like the Connimarra seemed to go on foe ever with little change to landscape but u may see ot with fresh eyes next time

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back