Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Perhaps Simon Calder ought to keep his gob shut, he's not a motorhomer so hasn't a clue about what we do or where we shop ... We may stock up initially in other places but that won't last long! We've bought stuff in every place we've stopped so far, spending a fair bit on food, fuel etc and we've only been away since 1st August.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Cant read the article, paywall/subscribe or disarm my ad blocker...no way.
Whats occurin then?, what aint we done properly now?
As for their West Coast seafood prices:eek: :imoutahere:
LES

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sorry but there are so many breaks in the article for ads etc it's impossible to copy and paste it. Just turn off your ad blocker, read the article, then turn it on again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
So how, where and when would local authorities collect any tax from a MHer wildcamping?

Would it apply to a MHer who is just transiting one local authority to reach another? Would there be road blocks?

Would the tax apply to Scottish residents who a) live outside that authority and b) to ones who live within that authority?

Those are my questions for today. I am sure I can think up more if I want to.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
More and more places are becoming anti tourist.

We are happy to avoid them all and travel to less frequented places. We have found many of our favourite areas by doing so.

How long before they cut their own throats by driving tourists away?

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021

"Leading travel experts have called on local authorities in popular tourist areas to introduce motorhome and campervan taxes to manage the flow of staycationers during peak times.

Millions of drivers will be travelling around the UK this summer to make use of the warm weather and extended time off from work and school.

Many will also be driving to Scotland to see some of the UK's most stunning sites, although some experts are calling for more sanctions on those who bring larger vehicles to quieter areas.

Scotland passed the Visitor Levy Bill at the end of May which was confirmed as an Act on July 5, 2024, and is designed to allow a visitor levy to be charged on overnight stays in some types of accommodation.

The outline of the Bill states that a certain amount of money would be paid to the local authority every time someone stays overnight in places like hotels, B&Bs or holiday cottages.

Each authority would be able to introduce a charge and set its own level of what the charge should be, with more popular areas likely to call for extra fees.

Some local business owners in parts of the Highlands in Scotland have called for the introduction of a similar tourist tax to pay for maintenance and infrastructure.

Motorhome drivers believe they have additional access rights thanks to "Right to Roam" legislation as this is not considered to be "wild camping", The Telegraph reported.

As a result, drivers could be slapped with fines for staying in their motorhomes or campervans when parked overnight in marked laybys, car parks and other areas.

This comes as travel expert Simon Calder suggested using a tourist tax to raise money for areas frequented by motorhome and campervan owners.

Speaking to BBC Radio Scotland, he suggested that councils and local authorities could set their own limits, as outlined in the Visitor Levy Bill.

He added: "I think you could be looking very much at campervan taxes, particularly for the Western Isles.

"They are using the facilities but not necessarily contributing because as everyone knows they have stocked up in the supermarkets in Ullapool or Inverness.

ā€œYou need them to say, OK, Ā£20 a day or Ā£15 a day, whatever it takes, but itā€™s only going to apply from June to September or maybe in July and August."

Calder continued, saying that local authorities shouldn't "mess around" with small amounts of money, calling on them to "go big", the Stornoway Gazette reported.

According to VisitScotland, residents of Great Britain took 13.5 million overnight trips in Scotland, spending Ā£3.4billion in 2022 alone.

With the cost of living and the cost of motoring still dominating people's lives, drivers could choose to visit somewhere closer to home to get good value for money, as well as visit an area they may not have previously travelled to.

More than one-third of trips taken in 2022 to Scotland were designated as holidays, while three in 10 said they were visiting to see friends or relatives."

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
This has been discussed before on the FB NC 500 the land weeps page many times. I can't see how it would work. If they apply a tourist tax to campsites or even Aires it will just drive those who don't want to pay to do more wild camping. How else could they do it? I've not been up to the NC500 area for years and before it was famous but it does seem over subscribed now. It was never my cup of tea but it certainly seems popular. I've tried to help on that group but they are incredibly negative. Perhaps sometimes justifiably so.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I would never travel on the 500 during July & August anyway, far too many on it already apparently?
Yet another gift for being retired, I, if I wished, can go at any other time of the year! šŸ˜„

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It would be interesting if they did bring in a tax for MHers etc as to how they'd enforce it as paying road tax allows MHs to park legally on the public highway just like cars so they'd just increase the number that do that.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Im sure i read somewhere its not a compulsory tax.
I think you're thinking of the voluntary Ā£40 a week to use carparks etc, that's a different thing.

OP
OP
Burge
Jun 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Harmony line 690g

"Leading travel experts have called on local authorities in popular tourist areas to introduce motorhome and campervan taxes to manage the flow of staycationers during peak times.

Millions of drivers will be travelling around the UK this summer to make use of the warm weather and extended time off from work and school.

Many will also be driving to Scotland to see some of the UK's most stunning sites, although some experts are calling for more sanctions on those who bring larger vehicles to quieter areas.

Scotland passed the Visitor Levy Bill at the end of May which was confirmed as an Act on July 5, 2024, and is designed to allow a visitor levy to be charged on overnight stays in some types of accommodation.

The outline of the Bill states that a certain amount of money would be paid to the local authority every time someone stays overnight in places like hotels, B&Bs or holiday cottages.

Each authority would be able to introduce a charge and set its own level of what the charge should be, with more popular areas likely to call for extra fees.

Some local business owners in parts of the Highlands in Scotland have called for the introduction of a similar tourist tax to pay for maintenance and infrastructure.

Motorhome drivers believe they have additional access rights thanks to "Right to Roam" legislation as this is not considered to be "wild camping", The Telegraph reported.

As a result, drivers could be slapped with fines for staying in their motorhomes or campervans when parked overnight in marked laybys, car parks and other areas.

This comes as travel expert Simon Calder suggested using a tourist tax to raise money for areas frequented by motorhome and campervan owners.

Speaking to BBC Radio Scotland, he suggested that councils and local authorities could set their own limits, as outlined in the Visitor Levy Bill.

He added: "I think you could be looking very much at campervan taxes, particularly for the Western Isles.

"They are using the facilities but not necessarily contributing because as everyone knows they have stocked up in the supermarkets in Ullapool or Inverness.

ā€œYou need them to say, OK, Ā£20 a day or Ā£15 a day, whatever it takes, but itā€™s only going to apply from June to September or maybe in July and August."

Calder continued, saying that local authorities shouldn't "mess around" with small amounts of money, calling on them to "go big", the Stornoway Gazette reported.

According to VisitScotland, residents of Great Britain took 13.5 million overnight trips in Scotland, spending Ā£3.4billion in 2022 alone.

With the cost of living and the cost of motoring still dominating people's lives, drivers could choose to visit somewhere closer to home to get good value for money, as well as visit an area they may not have previously travelled to.

More than one-third of trips taken in 2022 to Scotland were designated as holidays, while three in 10 said they were visiting to see friends or relatives."
Well said ..........I believe this is nothing to do with Touring, it's just a way of Milking people to fill there pockets so they can waste it on Flower Pots & the like....Rip off Britain šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§ strikes again šŸ˜’

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
As I've said before if I couldn't tour Europe I would pack it in. This is from gb news so just rubbish as usual

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Does Simon calder work for GB news ?
He is an independent travel journalist.
He works for whomever pays him, which includes the BBC, the Telegraph and the Independent newspaper.

Surprised he has lowered himself down to GB News, but its possible the article was written for someone else and then reprinted by GB news, which is something all news feeds do on a regular basis.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Why would you want to go to Scotland when the Alps/Pyrenees/Picos etc., have great seanery walking and so much warmer and they welcome tourists. Also a far nicer drive to get there.
It isn't so easy to go abroad when you've got dogs and run out of shengen days! Oh and don't live a stone's throw from the port!

OP
OP
Burge
Jun 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Harmony line 690g
We are waiting for our 1st trip abroad in the Van nxt yr , ,but in the meantime would like to travel & enjoy our own Country 1st without getting ripped off. Up to Scotland nxt month never been so looking forward to this trip ,1st stop Moffat C&CC then Loch Lomand & up to Glencoe limit on time so can't go up any further this time.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
My Scotland days are done so it wont affect me.
But as for the tourist tax, its a common thimg all round the world as we know, and it will be coming to a city near you soon.

BUT....its like, fuel, today it could be 1.50 per litre, tomorrow it could be 1.55 per litre, add that up over miles driven, then thats more tax , or less tax whichever way you look at it.

same can be said for the food, clothes, equipment, we all take on our trips, one price one day, a different price another day......cut back here and there on what we spend if we need to offset the tourist tax.

DO i agree with it, no, will it change or stop....no, its been going on for years around the world.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Iā€™ve always said about the uk is that if a certain amount of people use something or go to a particular place then someone will put a fence around it and install a carpark and charge a tenner to use itā€¦.šŸ˜

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back