Modding the Hymer ML-t 580 4x4

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The 4x4 AWD Sprinter chassis sits 8cm higher at the rear and 10cm at the front than the 2WD version.

Plus the extra height of the tyres:

Standard fit
235/65R16
Tyre Height (Diameter) 28 in 71.2 cm

All Terrain Tyres
245/75R16
Tyre Height (Diameter) 30.5 in 77.4 cm

Difference Tyre Height (Diameter) 2.5 in 6.2 cm

So ... it’s 14.2 cm higher at the rear and 16 cm at the front.

Someone on one the German Hymer Forum measured his and reckoned it to be 3.09m high to the top of folded Sat dish

I may well remove the dish as I can’t see it will get much use. A decent 4G Aerial would be a better use of that bit of roof space which might recover a few cm off the height.

I think it's about 10cm taller than my previous A Class Carthago. The body section on the Carthago was taller than the MLT because it incorporated the double floor, but the MLT sits higher off the ground. Parked on my drive at home, using the fence and house walls as reference points height-wise is doesn't look massively different to the Carthago.
I think our MLT 570's 2x2's are 2.95 high.
(Although I've had air fitted at the back, so I'm probably over 3m now)

Therefore I suspect yours is more than 3.09

I'd keep the dish, it has it's uses, as you can pick up TV that little bit further into the EU.
It also get people knocking on your door wanting to know what you are filming!
More importantly, your dish will be the biggest on site!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
The 4x4 AWD Sprinter chassis sits 8cm higher at the rear and 10cm at the front than the 2WD version.

Plus the extra height of the tyres:

Standard fit
235/65R16
Tyre Height (Diameter) 28 in 71.2 cm

All Terrain Tyres
245/75R16
Tyre Height (Diameter) 30.5 in 77.4 cm

Difference Tyre Height (Diameter) 2.5 in 6.2 cm

So ... it’s 14.2 cm higher at the rear and 16 cm at the front.

Someone on one the German Hymer Forum measured his and reckoned it to be 3.09m high to the top of folded Sat dish

I may well remove the dish as I can’t see it will get much use. A decent 4G Aerial would be a better use of that bit of roof space which might recover a few cm off the height.

I think it's about 10cm taller than my previous A Class Carthago. The body section on the Carthago was taller than the MLT because it incorporated the double floor, but the MLT sits higher off the ground. Parked on my drive at home, using the fence and house walls as reference points height-wise is doesn't look massively different to the Carthago.
Thanks Abgs !

The 4x4 model looked considerably higher than ours, but I'm thinking that it must have been on a slight slope which added to the illusion. I was guessing at +20cm, so that's obviously way out!! Like Brains we've left our satellite dish on, and tbh with the changes to mobile data plans for use in Europe, it's useful to have the dish in the more northern areas.

I hope you hear back from DVLA soon, so that you can get out on your adventures in your shiny new motorhome!

OP
OP
Abgs
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-t 580 4x4
Exp
Getting there!
Found it.
here
Page 21
And this is what it looks like.... It makes a huge difference with the heating on as it keeps all the warmth in the habitation area. There are a couple of loops or tabs on the rear of the curtain - I assume to pin back towards the windscreen so that its doesn't hang so tight to the rear of the seats. Nothing to attach them to though ... another item for the to do list!

IMG_6187.jpeg

IMG_6189.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Abgs
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-t 580 4x4
Exp
Getting there!
Sunday morning task ... Froli it !

The optional Hymer bed springs, black and gold in the pictures, are OK but I have a set of Froli springs which look and feel more substantial. So in they went! Another task that should have only taken an hour but ended up being closer to three.

About half-way through the first layout I realised that there is a directional arrow on the grid sections and rather than just merrily clipping them together and wondering why I had to many holes or to many tabs in the wrong place I should have read the instructions first..

Parts used: Froli Bed System

IMG_6191.jpeg
IMG_6204.jpeg
IMG_6207.jpg
IMG_6202.jpg
IMG_6208.jpg

OP
OP
Abgs
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-t 580 4x4
Exp
Getting there!
Another item for the to-do list...

The roof ....

It's booked into Rhino Installs in Preston for a Maxx Fan install in November and then I'll figure the solar. Due to the extra large skylight over the rear bed and the locations of the other miscellaneous stuff on the roof I think I may be limited to 2x100 watt panels. Finding some slim enough width-wise seems to be the issue. There is only about 53 cm between the rear skylight and the roof-rails. So far 2 x flexi panels from Craig Solar seem to be the only size that fits the space.

Note the roof is white as it has the optional GRP hail-proof panel fitted. That said there is so much going up there I'm pretty sure hail is just as likely to hit the roof lights!

roof.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Buying a new one!
Exp
Learning
Nice one. I'm watching with interest. We have a sprinter based C Tourer on order from Germany, hopefully get 2ndweek Nov. Some of mods that you're making apply to our model, such as the Dodo mat, which looked relatively straight forwards, cabjumpsout at you now detailed, ours is the metallic obsidian black, same colour?

Out of interest are your headlights Led, if so what was the exact wording used o the DVLA inspection doc.

Cheers Neil

OP
OP
Abgs
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-t 580 4x4
Exp
Getting there!
Done the black bits …. Just the silver bits to do now !
Finished polishing the silver bits!

It was such hard work....

Wash, clay-bar, machine polish with with correction wax, wash, machine polish with wax top coat, followed by ceramic coat to finish.

Nothing should stick to it now!

Parts Used:

Turtle Wax Car Shampoo
Halfords Claybar
DAS-6 V2 Dual Action Polisher
Meguiars DA Microfiber Finishing Pads, 5.5 In.
Meguiars DA Microfiber Cutting Pads 5.5 In.
Meguiar's D30016 Detailer DA Microfibre Paint Correction Compound
Meguiar's D30116 Detailer DA Microfibre Finishing Car Wax
Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray

mlt - 1.jpg
mlt - 2.jpg

OP
OP
Abgs
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-t 580 4x4
Exp
Getting there!
Nice one. I'm watching with interest. We have a sprinter based C Tourer on order from Germany, hopefully get 2ndweek Nov. Some of mods that you're making apply to our model, such as the Dodo mat, which looked relatively straight forwards, cabjumpsout at you now detailed, ours is the metallic obsidian black, same colour?

Out of interest are your headlights Led, if so what was the exact wording used o the DVLA inspection doc.

Cheers Neil
Yes it's Obsidian black. I think that will look good on the Carthago.

The garage who did the letter for the UK Conformity stated:

//
Headlights
The vehicle has Original factory fitted flat-beam LED headlights.
///

I can PM you a copy of the letter which you can use as a template if you want ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back