MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Everything sorted with the Flair then?
Well sort of

So when he went to collect the van from the garage they told him that the belt they took off looked like new ...so not sure if it had been done at something while it was parked up or if it had been changed before that ... but anyway they fitted a new dayco belt.

But they didn't get the other belts 🤦‍♂️ but the mechanic told him they also looked like new or they wouldn't have put them back on . They're now on holiday so I'd have to wait a couple of weeks to have them replaced so I'll just check those out when I get it back here. At least the main Campbelt has been replaced.

He said it was just over £500

Then he checked about batteries for me .

For 2 lead acids banners it would be £215

for 2 exide gels £396 ...Still waiting for him to tell me what size those are as he's a bit clueless with stuff so he's got to check with the supplier.

I'm unsure what ones to fit .
Just smiffy checked tayna batteries and they have exide es900 g80 gel batteries for £296 for 2 .

So for the electric guru's what's your thoughts

I think I'm gonna remove the satellite dish and fit a 400w solar panel above the rear bed and garage and a victron controller. If the generator works I probably won't fit lithium later , if it doesn't work I probably will .

So for now am I better buying the cheap banner batteries or am I better buying the 2 gels from tayna the same as Just smiffy has in his van.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well sort of

So when he went to collect the van from the garage they told him that the belt they took off looked like new ...so not sure if it had been done at something while it was parked up or if it had been changed before that ... but anyway they fitted a new dayco belt.

But they didn't get the other belts 🤦‍♂️ but the mechanic told him they also looked like new or they wouldn't have put them back on . They're now on holiday so I'd have to wait a couple of weeks to have them replaced so I'll just check those out when I get it back here. At least the main Campbelt has been replaced.

He said it was just over £500

Then he checked about batteries for me .

for 2 exide gels £396 ...Still waiting for him to tell me what size those are as he's a bit clueless with stuff so he's got to check with the supplier.

I'm unsure what ones to fit .
Just smiffy checked tayna batteries and they have exide es900 g80 gel batteries for £296 for 2 .

So for the electric guru's what's your thoughts

I think I'm gonna remove the satellite dish and fit a 400w solar panel above the rear bed and garage and a victron controller. If the generator works I probably won't fit lithium later , if it doesn't work I probably will .

So for now am I better buying the cheap banner batteries or am I better buying the 2 gels from tayna the same as Just smiffy has in his van.
I would go Exide Gel unless you are going to go Lithium in a year or two, the G80 ES900 should fit in the under the boot floor position as they are not too tall.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

I wouldn't touch Banners with a barge pole as they say.

Exide gels are great batteries normal one fitted is 80ah but you can discharge them down to 20% but they take longer to recharge & not to keen on high current loads. They charge up to 80% quickly but then need 4 to 8 hours of absorption charge to get to 100%.

Until the new van I've only ever had Gels life span of 6 to 10 years more is not uncommon.

The Fogstar Drift Eco 100 ah is £220 (£198) or 305ah £500 (£450). No Bluetooth so you would need a shunt to see state of charge. Two of the 105ah same price he is quoting you for Gels.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.

Exide gels are great batteries normal one fitted is 80ah but you can discharge them down to 20% but they take longer to recharge & not to keen on high current loads. They charge up to 80% quickly but then need 4 to 8 hours of absorption charge to get to 100%.

Until the new van I've only ever had Gels life span of 6 to 10 years more is not uncommon.

The Fogstar Drift Eco 100 ah is £220 (£198) or 305ah £500 (£450). No Bluetooth so you would need a shunt to see state of charge. Two of the 105ah same price he is quoting you for Gels.
Listen to uncle Lenny and get it done, just drop in with a few bottles of good wine and gin and he will sort it🤷🏻‍♂️😇😆😎

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Listen to uncle Lenny and get it done, just drop in with a few bottles of good wine and gin and he will sort it🤷🏻‍♂️😇😆😎
And if you can’t get there without the new batteries he could just give you a shopping list and then have him on a days WhatsApp video call so he can guide you along lol, or pay for his fuel, he might fancy a few days in beautiful Wales😇😆😆😆😆

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you want to stick with standard Leads, Hankooks have a good rep.

These are from BMS (Battery Mega Store)

1723829760307.png

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I would go Exide Gel unless you are going to go Lithium in a year or two, the G80 ES900 should fit in the under the boot floor position as they are not too tall.
That's one of my concerns as I didn't measure the battery box in the garage but I want 2 batteries to fit in there and have the cover over them . At the minute I'm not sure if I'll need lithium it depends on the generator

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That's one of my concerns as I didn't measure the battery box in the garage but I want 2 batteries to fit in there and have the cover over them . At the minute I'm not sure if I'll need lithium it depends on the generator
The battery box will pobably be sized for 2 x Exide ES900 gels

1723830551942.png

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The battery box will pobably be sized for 2 x Exide ES900 gels

View attachment 936308
The battery supplier that guy uses told him that he knew the standard fitted batteries to that van and that was the 2 choices he gave ..so it probably is those. But if it is he's charging 100 quid more for them than tayna

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
It's side by side . I have a photo but it's on my other phone .
So the box will be around 350mm ish square by 190mm ish high, any standard size battery should work if you staying lead for now until you can test the genny and see what your use is like

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

But could I fit lithium without having to change the chargers and all the cables etc just now?

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I have the same generator as you will have TEC29 but have 960ah lithium too, the generator is only used in emergency and also when driving I run it along with the B2B to charge the smart car and also run the habitation air-con when driving to make sure when I arrive where I’m going the inside of the van is cooler

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have the same generator as you will have TEC29 but have 960ah lithium too, the generator is only used in emergency and also when driving I run it along with the B2B to charge the smart car and also run the habitation air-con when driving to make sure when I arrive where I’m going the inside of the van is cooler
Yes I don't want to rely solely on the generator ,its mainly to run the 240v appliances , Aircon, microwave etc but as I'm not a heavy power user and I plan to fit 400 watt solar to it and eventually a b2b I'm not sure if I will need lithium. But don't plan to fit it this year either way . I will be fitting solar and a controller though before I head off this winter.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Have a look at eco worthy offer on eBay with coupon. Lead money for lithium.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If you fit Lithium, & you are fitting a Solar regulator you would really only need to fit a B2B the existing mains charger set to Gel will be OK for occasional use.
Chan you get the model number off the charger? So I can check.
Yeah I'll get the details of the charger etc when I pick it up.

Just smiffy and I have devised a plan. He has one big new battery here so I'm going to take that with me when I go to collect the van . That will at least give me power to lights etc then I can measure the battery box to make sure of the size . Going by webpage the fogstar lithium is too high for the box so if I fitted lithium I'd have to relocate the battery .

I can fit solar and a controller myself with no issues . B2b might be a little more complicated but I know how to do it now.

I'll know more when I pick the van up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back