Microwave screw holes

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 66-2
Exp
Since Sept ‘21.
We need a new microwave for our van. Do you know whether the screw holes, used for anchoring the microwave on its shelf, are to some sort of standard? Ie can I be confident that any m/w that I get will have the holes in the correct position? None of the tech specs specify this detail.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We installed aluminium angle on two sides and the rear, and utilised a strip of wood along the front to keep it in. Works perfectly for us

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DaveHobson
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 66-2
Exp
Since Sept ‘21.
We installed aluminium angle on two sides and the rear, and utilised a strip of wood along the front to keep it in. Works perfectly for us
Sounds like a good plan. Not sure what you mean by ‘aluminium angle’ though? Would it be easy to provide a picture?

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
B&Q ... Just standard aluminium angle in 1m lengths

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Mine sits in the cupboard on a sheet of underlay and has been that way for 18 years now, without any issues, I’ve never thought or needed to anchor it 🤷🏼‍♂️

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I see, thanks - so that stops it moving, and the wood along the front stops it falling forward?
needs to be thin piece of wood to ensure the door can open though, again b&q will sell thin beading that will work. the beading needs to be no thicker than the feet on the microwave as in effect its only the feet your looking to stop sliding forward, not the microwave as such, stopping the feet sliding will stop the microwave sliding.

we bought a standard microwave and had it downrated by a company in kent, on the way to the channel tunnel, took him less than an hour to reduce the power consumption, yes it takes a bit longer to cook things but doesnt trip the site electrics on ehu, but for us it allows us to use it when not on ehu as the draw is less than the lithium battery is rated for AND we can use the kettle at the same time as the microwave (again when ot on ehu!)

Upvote 0

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If a standard microwave, pop the cover off and check clearance where you need to drill holes. Then bolt on some ali angle but use nylon nuts.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My only concern with it not being pegged down is this.
In an accident it would fly around and the transformer in it weighs quite a lot. Having that hit you in the back of the head is not likely to be conducive to good health?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I see, thanks - so that stops it moving, and the wood along the front stops it falling forward?
That's similar to what I did. Then when I went over a speed bump too fast the microwave bounced up and ended up on the floor. What I do now is use a rectangle of plywood. The feet are probably held on by a screw into the metal case. So get some longer screws that go through the plywood and just reach the metal case like before. Make sure they are not too long of course. Then hold the plywood down onto the shelf with a couple more screws. You can get nice veneered plywood and varnish it with polyurethane varnish.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
just to confirm, our microwave CANNOT just jump out, though the comments some have made to ensure that doesnt happen are very good advice. to remove our microwave, you have to remove wood trims that stop it from either jumping out or being removed, sorry for not making that clear earlier.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Here,, something like this might help you in your quest to fit a replacement.
What motorhome are you replacing microwave in?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DaveHobson
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 66-2
Exp
Since Sept ‘21.
Here,, something like this might help you in your quest to fit a replacement.
What motorhome are you replacing microwave in?

Thanks, that’s useful. Not sure about drilling holes in the microwave, but he seems to have got away with it! We have a Bailey Advance m/h. In this Bailey caravan, the m/w is mounted on a separate plywood plinth - ours isn’t, but, as suggested by others above, I could do that with the new one.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Thanks, that’s useful. Not sure about drilling holes in the microwave, but he seems to have got away with it! We have a Bailey Advance m/h. In this Bailey caravan, the m/w is mounted on a separate plywood plinth - ours isn’t, but, as suggested by others above, I could do that with the new one.
You could as it will be easier to get it right out of the cupboard first then mount it in cupboard.
The feet are a good way from anything else in the microwave so should be do able.
Just mark the bottom of the feet with oil or margarine and get other half to assist in dabbing it on to the wood then you should have the position of the feet. Small drill bit next to open a hole that a screw will expand out to a tight fit

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B578
Exp
Just starting out
Socks and sandals, Keith? tut tut...

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I screwed down with something like these, making sure the innards of the micro was clear.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 lounge
We need a new microwave for our van. Do you know whether the screw holes, used for anchoring the microwave on its shelf, are to some sort of standard? Ie can I be confident that any m/w that I get will have the holes in the correct position? None of the tech specs specify this detail.
I had the same dilemma,so had the original one repaired

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back