LPG pricing (4 Viewers)

Feb 3, 2019
Washington
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
I applauded when Marquis started installing LPG pumps on their forecourts, and I understand that they need to make a return on their investment. But £1.49 a litre at Birtley branch looks a little like extortion. Average price in this area is around £0.91 a litre. Cannot see them getting a return at all if they persist with that sort of pricing
Jobla

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
We pay about 79p round here but all the taxi drivers use it in quantity.

I suppose if you are just refilling small bottles you need to charge more to make it worthwhile. It is expensive though. :-(

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
With the big users i.e. taxi drivers moving away from LPG the small quantity leisure users like us are bound to end up paying more per litre. If we want new suppliers to step in where the forecourts are pulling out there is going to be a cost and we will have to pay it.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I planned to get an underslung tank for my van to free up one of the few external lockers. Easily fit a folding Brompton bike in there! But I think LPG is going to be harder to come by in the next couple of years. So I got a refillable instead.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
LPG pumps cannot survive on what is used by motorhomers and the LPG cars now left on the road.. and when the cost of maintenance, periodic testing and certifying, insurance and training forecourt staff exceeds the sales profit. ..they will be removed.. which is now happening around the country, both here and abroad... .. forecourts are now replacing LPG pumps with BEV charging points ..

The UK government's recently announced plan to bring forward a ban on the sale of new gasoline and diesel cars and vans by 10 years to 2030 will hasten the demise of the country's already ailing autogas sector.

LPG accounts for just 0.2pc of UK road fuel demand. No manufacturers sell pure autogas vehicles in the UK, which means the only way to use autogas is to convert an engine or install an LPG engine to work in a bi-fuel system. As a result, the outlook for autogas demand is entwined with the fate of gasoline and diesel engines.

Demand has declined since the government ended grants for new and converted LPG-fuelled vehicles in the mid-2000s. Consumption was 61,000t in 2019, roughly half its peak of 120,000t in 2008. There were 105,000 LPG-capable vehicles in the UK last year, down from 170,000 in 2011.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
There's 1/4 million LPG fuelled houses out there that still need a supply so it will be some time before the distribution system collapses
indeed.. but they don't use forecourt pumps ..

and for the foreseeable future, there will always be a requirement for bottled gas

LPG is a waste gas from refining petrol and diesel.. if not sold, it will be flared off, as it was for years on offshore oil production platforms

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
There’s been a definite change in the LPG market over the last couple of decades, during the last decade it’s become more noticeable .
Apart from a few isolated areas where LPG powered cars are still popular, the market has definitely moved towards being a leisure industry product.
Compared to Automotive tanks the leisure industry is normally small volume sales and incredibly seasonal, we have recently introduced a minimum £10.00 charge for LPG .
Like us , most leisure suppliers are attendant service so just to pay a member of staff even if on minimum wage would now cost a business over £20.00 per hour, so to serve the LPG is probably the profit on around 10 litres , then add overheads and a profit it’s certainly not going to make anyone rich .
We get customers who don’t even get £1.00 in the tank / bottle , lots of sales of a few pounds, I think higher prices are inevitable but as others realise it’s still way below Calor type exchange prices.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
indeed.. but they don't use forecourt pumps ..

and for the foreseeable future, there will always be a requirement for bottled gas

LPG is a waste gas from refining petrol and diesel.. if not sold, it will be flared off, as it was for years on offshore oil production platforms
The gas that is flared is normally Methane, the misconception is that LPG is a waste gas it could be described as a byproduct possibly.
Lots of articles about flaring, here’s one :

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
ULEZ zones drive lpg usage, people are purchasing cheap petrol cars that meet the ulez zones requirements and then converting to lpg. There's more ULEZ zones coming to a city near you soon, the current retric around the demise of LPG is premature, it's been perpetuated by people that aren't looking at the new users being created by ULEZ zones..

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
If we assume that LPG usage will continue to diminish and we then reasonably assume that with diminishing demand, there is less outlets to supply, there can be little surprise to anyone that cost will increase. Simple economics!

What I don’t understand is WRT production of the product. Can the producers decide to no longer produce it, or is that not how it works? If it’s a true by product, then there will be oversupply, meaning they will want to shift it, meaning prices should go down?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
ULEZ zones drive lpg usage, people are purchasing cheap petrol cars that meet the ulez zones requirements and then converting to lpg. There's more ULEZ zones coming to a city near you soon, the current retric around the demise of LPG is premature, it's been perpetuated by people that aren't looking at the new users being created by ULEZ zones..
Birmingham has a CAZ. When it first rolled out, for a few weeks, all the taxi drivers boycotted the zone. Then a few came back because the zone change wasn't that great when there were so few other drivers and so much business. There were a fair number of LPG converts. Now, a few years later, it's easy for taxi drivers to find an old Prius or a euro6 diesel. The little LPG yard that I go to is less busy than it was a couple of years ago. They've diversified into selling LPG cylinders. I've never seen anyone that wasn't a taxi in the yard, no "public" users. Me turning up once every few months in a motorhome is an oddity for them.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
There's 1/4 million LPG fuelled houses out there that still need a supply so it will be some time before the distribution system collapses
The difference is quantity, I used 2,600 litres of LPG at home last year but probably less than 100 litres in my refillable cylinders. I expect to pay a lot more for the small quantities I buy for leisure when on the road but even the home stuff is now costing 76p per litre.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The gas that is flared is normally Methane, the misconception is that LPG is a waste gas it could be described as a byproduct possibly.

Having worked on offshore oil and gas production platforms and oil refineries for many years I am aware of what gasses are flared off .. methane is a natural gas .. LPG is a by product.. and a waste gas when not used..

In my post I should have said " as methane was " rather than "it" was.. sorry for misunderstanding ,

LPG gas is a by-product of the oil refining process and has traditionally been flared-off at the refinery. It also occurs in conjunction with oil and natural gas at oil and gas fields.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I haven’t seen it below 99p for some time now, but even at £1.50 it is still close to half the price of Calor 👍

And you have a choice 🤔

I think higher prices are inevitable but as others realise it’s still way below Calor type exchange prices.

Is it? I haven't bought Calor in a long time but if I filled my 11KG full from empty at 99p it would be about £20. At £1.49 it would be about £30. What's the equivalent Calor now?

To be honest for the few litres that tanks and cylinders hold the difference in cost is really only peanut and you can spend more in diesel hunting down the perceived saving.

Not quite. I only have one 11KG bottle and that would be an extra £10 filling up at £1.49 over say an average of 99p. If you have 2 bottles then you are talking £20.

I will fill up about every 2 weeks on a summer trip . So that's an extra £20 per month. Yes it won't break the bank but not to be sniffed at. If I travelled in winter I guess that could double.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Is it? I haven't bought Calor in a long time but if I filled my 11KG full from empty at 99p it would be about £20. At £1.49 it would be about £30. What's the equivalent Calor now?
Eye watering……

IMG_3462.png

Even Flogas have rocketed.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Not quite. I only have one 11KG bottle and that would be an extra £10 filling up at £1.49 over say an average of 99p. If you have 2 bottles then you are talking £20.

I will fill up about every 2 weeks on a summer trip . So that's an extra £20 per month. Yes it won't break the bank but not to be sniffed at. If I travelled in winter I guess that could double.

Jesus ........ 11kg (21.65ltrs) in two weeks in the summer, that will last us nearer 5 weeks in the summer. :oops:

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
In winter we can use 2kg a day.

I remember when I had a caravan and we could only fit a 3.5KG and a 7KG in the locker. Even back then it was £21 for the 3.5KG.

It lasted the weekend. 🤦‍♀️

Refillable is the way to go!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Been using a 6kg propane for two summer seasons.. away for more than 8 weeks. and still not empty ..
but we do have a compressor fridge .. and heating is by diesel

3 way fridges use more gas than many imagine.. and big ones are gasaholics

so even if I was inclined to fit refillable bottles, which I am not, the payback time would be measure in years ..

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
I asked Shell cirencester why no more LPG on forcourt yesterday and they told me Shell are removing all LPG from their Sites in UK as its not worth the effort .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back