Long Stay French Visa - Our application and interview/appointment. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
This was our tried and tested list for 180 day visa. Each applicant needs each one , as each applicant is dealt with separately at the embassy. I also attached an itinerary of our planned stops

IMG_0273.png

Sep 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer b class mct
I know that those of us who are Residents in EU countries are a minority on here, but not a small minority.

I as a Polish Resident am still like most of you restricted to 90/180 anywhere outside Poland, as are all Residents outside their host country, but not Citizens.

I have read the very informative posts about the process of applying for an extended visa for France, which would allow us to tour more weeks in Europe generally since the time in France would not eat into the 90 days. Applying would mean the hassle of travelling to Warsaw to apply and sod's law says that some bit of paper would be wrong and need a return visit.

With no internal border checks inside Schengen I have weighed up the chances of being caught exceeding 90 days, including the fact that we would be travelling in a Polish registered MH so are unlikely to attract attention as being other than Polish Citizens, which OH is anyway.

Even if I were caught I might be fined and if deported I think it would have to be to Poland. Even if banned I doubt whether a French or Spanish government could cancel my Polish Residency. Also the ban would be ineffective without border checks, except if I tried to come into EU other than into Poland. All very remote as to not worry me.

On balance I have decided that if it suited me to exceed 90 days on any one trip I would take the risk. If I exceeded 90 days because of two separate trips within 180 days how would anyone know about the first trip? A trawl through '000s of ANPR cameras to find the registration of one vehicle that 'I had lent to Basia's son' ?

In general I think the authorities will not bother trying to enforce the 90/180 restrictions on Residents of EU countries just travelling, just as they do not enforce the requirement to register in a country after 90 days, unless one settles there. I was over the 90 days when I applied for Residence here and was told 2 years ago that I would receive a £100 fine, nothing happened.

Of course we can blame all this Administrative nonsense on the Napoleonic Code principles which are contrary to Common Law principles. I surmise that if the EU and Schengen acted under Common Law principles then these restrictions within EU/Schengen borders would not exist. Discuss. ;) :giggle:
If your other half is Polish, surely you can travel around the EU at will for as long as you want provided you always travel with your other half?

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
I know that those of us who are Residents in EU countries are a minority on here, but not a small minority.

I as a Polish Resident am still like most of you restricted to 90/180 anywhere outside Poland, as are all Residents outside their host country, but not Citizens.

I have read the very informative posts about the process of applying for an extended visa for France, which would allow us to tour more weeks in Europe generally since the time in France would not eat into the 90 days. Applying would mean the hassle of travelling to Warsaw to apply and sod's law says that some bit of paper would be wrong and need a return visit.

With no internal border checks inside Schengen I have weighed up the chances of being caught exceeding 90 days, including the fact that we would be travelling in a Polish registered MH so are unlikely to attract attention as being other than Polish Citizens, which OH is anyway.

Even if I were caught I might be fined and if deported I think it would have to be to Poland. Even if banned I doubt whether a French or Spanish government could cancel my Polish Residency. Also the ban would be ineffective without border checks, except if I tried to come into EU other than into Poland. All very remote as to not worry me.

On balance I have decided that if it suited me to exceed 90 days on any one trip I would take the risk. If I exceeded 90 days because of two separate trips within 180 days how would anyone know about the first trip? A trawl through '000s of ANPR cameras to find the registration of one vehicle that 'I had lent to Basia's son' ?

In general I think the authorities will not bother trying to enforce the 90/180 restrictions on Residents of EU countries just travelling, just as they do not enforce the requirement to register in a country after 90 days, unless one settles there. I was over the 90 days when I applied for Residence here and was told 2 years ago that I would receive a £100 fine, nothing happened.

Of course we can blame all this Administrative nonsense on the Napoleonic Code principles which are contrary to Common Law principles. I surmise that if the EU and Schengen acted under Common Law principles then these restrictions within EU/Schengen borders would not exist. Discuss. ;) :giggle:
I have spent most of my life avoiding questions where any of the possible answers are not what I wanted to hear. We never asked our kids what they wanted to eat; we told them what they were getting or offered a choice. Same with this question. Avoid if possible.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have spent most of my life avoiding questions where any of the possible answers are not what I wanted to hear. We never asked our kids what they wanted to eat; we told them what they were getting or offered a choice. Same with this question. Avoid if possible.

I am not sure your post was part of the 'Discussion' that I prompted, but never mind. No harm done. My post was nearly a year old.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
I am not sure your post was part of the 'Discussion' that I prompted, but never mind. No harm done. My post was nearly a year old.
Apologies. I am away from home and using a small phone screen. Can’t really explain how that happened though.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Last year some campsites were scanning passports into a Police programme. They said it was to check for visa misuse.
Any other EU national in Spain is subject to the same 90/180 restriction as us, If they are checking they are surely be more likely to be checking for this.

We were recently on a Portugese camperstop where there were at least 5 Mh's that had been there for years, including a British couple who had apparently been there for 5 years on a UK plate. The German next to us claimed to have been there for 3 years.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Any other EU national in Spain is subject to the same 90/180 restriction as us, If they are checking they are surely be more likely to be checking for this.

We were recently on a Portugese camperstop where there were at least 5 Mh's that had been there for years, including a British couple who had apparently been there for 5 years on a UK plate. The German next to us claimed to have been there for 3 years.

EU Citizens can stay as long as they want in another EU country but must register after 90 days. It is only Residents of EU countries who should not exceed 90/180 anywhere outside their country of Residence

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
EU Citizens can stay as long as they want in another EU country but must register after 90 days. It is only Residents of EU countries who should not exceed 90/180 anywhere outside their country of Residence
Thanks Geoff, yes there is a distinction there but either could be what they re checking for.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Thank you all for your help in guiding us through the process.

We had our TLS interview on Monday 3rd June and received our visas by post on Monday 17th June.
Attached are some editable docs and a checklist we used when making our application.

A couple of notes that might be of interest from our experience...

Before you are allowed in the building they want to see your appointment letter which was emailed to each of you. I was unsure of which email as they send you several. A copy of what got me through the door is below.
1718792421273.png

The interviewer wasn't remotely interested in our itinerary (which was lucky as I had not prepared one).
In our application I gave the name of a campsite near Calais for the first night. I did not book a pitch or contact the campsite.

We arrived on time and had about a 45 minute wait before being seen. We were called up together and both applications were processed at the same time. As you are making individual applications so will need two copies of everything.

I suggest you get your photos taken beforehand as the queue for the photo booth was longer than the queue for the interview.

Costs were...

TLS fee to process the application 55 euros each.
If you don't want to collect your passport and shiny new visa from the TLS Centre - the postage cost per passport is £30 (returned by Royal Mail special delivery). These were paid when making the TLS appointment.

French visa fee of 99 euros each paid at the interview (they only take card payments).

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• covering letter.docx
    13 KB · Views: 25
  • financially support.docx
    12.7 KB · Views: 34
  • income covering letter.docx
    13.3 KB · Views: 31
  • paid activity.docx
    12.6 KB · Views: 28
  • French visa checklist.xlsx
    13.3 KB · Views: 26
  • ownership letter and photos.docx
    529.2 KB · Views: 31
Dec 23, 2020
Scotland Central
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
Since 2014
The 90 day rule doesn't apply to a eu citizens , Or there spouse/children if traveling with them At the same time
My German wife was advised by the German Embassy that there was no such deregation for spouses. Could you point to where there is stated in the EU regulations.
Thanks !

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
My German wife was advised by the German Embassy that there was no such deregation for spouses. Could you point to where there is stated in the EU regulations.
Thanks !
It's been a topic several times on the forum, hopefully someone will see this and quote the appropriate Regulation.

Dec 23, 2020
Scotland Central
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
Since 2014
The 90 day rule doesn't apply to a eu citizens , Or there spouse/children if traveling with them At the same time
Hi Trevor,
Can you please Point me to the deregulation that validates this advantages point. My wife is a German National and has been advised by the German Embassy in Edinburgh that this is not the case and that the 90/180 rule applies.
Thanks
Travel well and travel safely.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Trevor,
Can you please Point me to the deregulation that validates this advantages point. My wife is a German National and has been advised by the German Embassy in Edinburgh that this is not the case and that the 90/180 rule applies.
Thanks
Carpmart has previously posted the information you require.

His quote: Read the directive EU2004/38 and look at EU citizens ‘right to roam’ under this directive and have the spouse/family with them whilst exercising this right. ✔️

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020
Scotland Central
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
Since 2014
Mousy; I really hope so. I have downloaded the file and will read over the weekend.
Traveling to Rosslyn Chapel tomorrow so will need to be Sunday.

May 6, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 841
Exp
since 2006
Thank you all for your help in guiding us through the process.

We had our TLS interview on Monday 3rd June and received our visas by post on Monday 17th June.
Attached are some editable docs and a checklist we used when making our application.

A couple of notes that might be of interest from our experience...

Before you are allowed in the building they want to see your appointment letter which was emailed to each of you. I was unsure of which email as they send you several. A copy of what got me through the door is below.
View attachment 911677

The interviewer wasn't remotely interested in our itinerary (which was lucky as I had not prepared one).
In our application I gave the name of a campsite near Calais for the first night. I did not book a pitch or contact the campsite.

We arrived on time and had about a 45 minute wait before being seen. We were called up together and both applications were processed at the same time. As you are making individual applications so will need two copies of everything.

I suggest you get your photos taken beforehand as the queue for the photo booth was longer than the queue for the interview.

Costs were...

TLS fee to process the application 55 euros each.
If you don't want to collect your passport and shiny new visa from the TLS Centre - the postage cost per passport is £30 (returned by Royal Mail special delivery). These were paid when making the TLS appointment.

French visa fee of 99 euros each paid at the interview (they only take card payments).

Hope this helps.
Well we have our appointment on 17th, but I have a feeling seeing your format that we have given a little too much info! Do they tell you there and then if your application has been accepted?

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Well we have our appointment on 17th, but I have a feeling seeing your format that we have given a little too much info! Do they tell you there and then if your application has been accepted?
It’s time consuming, they ask you for each piece of paper/information (don’t staple anything together!) and obviously they are inputting data into a computer, whilst collating your pack. They will only tell you if you have provided all the necessary documentation not if your application will be successful. (Although I’m sure it will be fine). Don’t worry about having more information. Their job is to get what they need and put it into the right format for the application. We had paperwork they didn’t ask for.
Hundreds of chinese people there, with language issues and not having the right things, I got the impression the young lady who did us was relieved we were relatively easy and straightforward! It still took both of us over an hour though.

May 6, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 841
Exp
since 2006
To anyone who has successfully done the interview stage…. Did you put all your documents into a punched ring binder file? Just checking there isnt some strange french regulation about punching holes in your copies!

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
I have an UK &Austrian passport so no problems staying anywhere in EU for me but my wife has to apply every year for a Schengen visa when we travel as she is Thai ,,,the TLS or VFS in London or Bangkok will not accept motorhomes as accommodation so we have to book hotels for her in order to get visa and then cancel the hotel bookings ,,
Its ridiculous also in Bangkok VFS they dont believe you can travel by ferry or train to France from UK you have to book an air ticket and then cancel that

The hoops they make us jump through ,, my wife has 3 x 10 year UK multientry visa over last 27 years and 11 x1 year schengen visas , but each time its the same bullshit

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thanks !
The 90 consecutive days has always applied to all EU citizens. All you had to do though was pop in to another country after 89 days and the clock started again.
has been advised by the German Embassy in Edinburgh that this is not the case and that the 90/180 rule applies.
If youvare travelling with your German wife she has the right ,as above,up to 90 consecutive days in any one country. By entering another country for 24hours the clock resets so that you can either ,return to original country or stay in the one you are in.
Any EU citizen can do this forever. Any non EU spouse,you, or family members travelling with your German wife are subject to the same rules as she is ,as in the time period does not count at all. It is only if your wife left and you were left alone for a period that the days would start to count under the "90/180" system.
It is all available ,and in all languages , to show to the people who say the above isn't correct. I'd be making an official complaint to the embassy as the Germans are notorious for it on this one point.
Many EU citizens overwintering for 6 months+ don't even bother leaving because apart from a few countries that require you to register as a resident nothing can be done to you. You cannot be asked to leave or deported.
Countries ,like Spain or Cyprus, that require registration after90days can only fine an EUcitizen for the offence of "failing to register". Nothing else.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
So-far, I am not applying for a Spanish NLV.

Too many hoops to jump through.

But, if I do decide to, this 12 month French visa sounds like a plan to avoid paying tax on our UK house asked to the Spanish government

Trevor

What type of tax could the Spanish government demand on your UK house? Just interested.

Geoff

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
To anyone who has successfully done the interview stage…. Did you put all your documents into a punched ring binder file? Just checking there isnt some strange french regulation about punching holes in your copies!
I think you'll be OK. Ours were in a sleeved document holder. It would be prettyy bad if they rejected all of the correct documentation for having two little holes in them.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Well we just sailed through our 2nd French travel visa application on wednesday, everything went straight forward, its much easier the second time tbh.

We'll get the passports back in around 12-15 days and off we go end of august for quite a while :clap2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back