Loading The Motorhome Garage? (7 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
hi ,,having a big garage is great, first time away with it, i found myself just throwing everything in ,,but has anyone got ideas about good loading methods how to use the space better ,,thanks

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
hi thanks just had it up plated to 3960kg so should have 850kg pay load ,,i think
Did your axle capacities increase though?

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
hi thanks just had it up plated to 3960kg so should have 850kg pay load ,,i think

We did the same, as this is an upgrade which can be achieved on a current Ducato chassis without further modification, as it is just the combined design axle weights which converters simply downrate to 3,500 kg to sell to a market with increasing numbers of folk (post-1998 Driving Test) who do not have a licence to drive a heavier vehicle.

The snag is this does not increase the rear axle weight limit and probably adds nothing of real value to your garage load capacity. Amongst other problems of overloading the rear axle, you may find this has the effect of reducing the weight bearing down on the front axle and reducing grip from the front wheel drive, especially noticeable when attempting to accelerate quickly (e.g. when entering a roundabout in heavy traffic).

When you are fully loaded for travel with full fuel, water etc and with driver and all passengers on board, the only way to be sure is to go to a weighbridge and check the load on each axle. This must be a flat-bed weighbridge (i.e. set level with the ground) and not one with ramps at either end (OK for total weight, but will under-weigh each axle if the vehicle has one axle on and is not level). Obviously cross-check the sum of the weight of both axles with the measured full weight.

Just noticed which MoHo you have rob1234. I think you have an overall length of 7.49 meters. Ours is just 7.0. So, as the overhang on your rear axle is greater than ours, the adverse effect of overloading your rear axle to which I referred above, may well be more noticeable than my experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
We did the same, as this is an upgrade which can be achieved on a current Ducato chassis without further modification, as it is just the combined design axle weights which converters simply downrate to 3,500 kg to sell to a market with increasing numbers of folk (post-1998 Driving Test) who do not have a licence to drive a heavier vehicle.

The snag is this does not increase the rear axle weight limit and probably adds nothing of real value to your garage load capacity. Amongst other problems of overloading the rear axle, you may find this has the effect of reducing the weight bearing down on the front axle and reducing grip from the front wheel drive, especially noticeable when attempting to accelerate quickly (e.g. when entering a roundabout in heavy traffic).

When you are fully loaded for travel with full fuel, water etc and with driver and all passengers on board, the only way to be sure is to go to a weighbridge and check the load on each axle. This must be a flat-bed weighbridge (i.e. set level with the ground) and not one with ramps at either end (OK for total weight, but will under-weigh each axle if the vehicle has one axle on and is not level). Obviously cross-check the sum of the weight of both axles with the measured full weight.

Just noticed which MoHo you have rob1234. I think you have an overall length of 7.49 meters. Ours is just 7.0. So, as the overhang on your rear axle is greater than ours, the adverse effect of overloading your rear axle to which I referred above, may well be more noticeable than my experience.
thanks some great info there ,,i dont intend on overloading it, most of the items in the garage are not to heavy ,,apart from cadac,,and folding bike if i take it ,,i could weigh everything i suppose ,but cant really be bothered

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Sensible choice!

Off the top of my head it's a bit more, with a 450kg original payload it'll 900kg, if it was 550kg originally you'll have just over 1000kg.

The garage weight will still be determined by the rear axle capacity. Fiat std chassis' have less than Ford. In some cases by 500kg.

The advertised weights & payloads on their website are realistically for a very basic motorhome. The Pilote adds weight for everything, in std form they basically have nothing meaning everything comes off the advertised payload... even central locking adds 7kg. If you have side skirt storage that's taken another 15kg & if you have a rear island bed which is height adjustable there's another 20kg deducted. Spare wheel? 40kg.

They'll even steal 1kg for a bathroom door mirror.

These options alone will mean the removal of a travel seat.

At 3500kg they really are not fit for purpose.

It's why European built vans cause so much weight paranoia and owners always say 'take it to a weighbridge'

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
Sensible choice!

Off the top of my head it's a bit more, with a 450kg original payload it'll 900kg, if it was 550kg originally you'll have just over 1000kg.

The garage weight will still be determined by the rear axle capacity. Fiat std chassis' have less than Ford. In some cases by 500kg.

The advertised weights & payloads on their website are realistically for a very basic motorhome. The Pilote adds weight for everything, in std form they basically have nothing meaning everything comes off the advertised payload... even central locking adds 7kg. If you have side skirt storage that's taken another 15kg & if you have a rear island bed which is height adjustable there's another 20kg deducted. Spare wheel? 40kg.

They'll even steal 1kg for a bathroom door mirror.

These options alone will mean the removal of a travel seat.

At 3500kg they really are not fit for purpose.

It's why European built vans cause so much weight paranoia and owners always say 'take it to a weighbridge'
hi thanks ,,mine is on the heavy chassis not sure if that makes any difference ?

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
hi thanks ,,mine is on the heavy chassis not sure if that makes any difference ?
It makes a huge difference especially in terms of up plating and with the added bonus of a strengthened garage floor. For C1 capable drivers it the sensible choice as your A Class can probably go to 4400Kg overall with suspension work which will also increase your front & rear axle limits.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
It makes a huge difference especially in terms of up plating and with the added bonus of a strengthened garage floor. For C1 capable drivers it the sensible choice as your A Class can probably go to 4400Kg overall with suspension work which will also increase your front & rear axle limits.
brilliant thanks ,,dealer never explained anything to me ,,,was in such a rush when i picked it up ,,,

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2023
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Imala 736g
I have an Imala 736G which has a decent garage. Purchased these collapsible plastic boxes with doors that open to the front. Really helped organise and garage. Have screwed x2 to the wall and ceiling to the left of the larger door opening and managed to snugly fit in x2 more for the smaller garage opening, which I use for electric cables, my dog's thinks and water treatments etc. Amazon link below. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CKRFDNQ5?tag=mhf04-21

IMG_3050.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
My Hymer is limited to about 50kg in the garage when loaded, to avoid overloading the rear axle. That's with minimum water and minimal stuff inside and behind the rear axle.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2023
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Only since April 2024 (but caravanning since 2020)
Excellent discussion, thank you all. We're on our first tour in Europe of going on 12 weeks. We found the garage getting loaded up with "stuff" not needed like warmer clothes, actual duvets (it so warm that just the cover is enough), shoes when sandals or flip flops are more than enough. Basically surplus to requirements when we're newbies and didn't know better. But open or see through boxes, work well to find again. And structure like "water related gear", outdoor items, etc. Also don't let the missus reorganise, that's a disaster! You can never find things again!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
My Hymer is limited to about 50kg in the garage when loaded, to avoid overloading the rear axle. That's with minimum water and minimal stuff inside and behind the rear axle.
hi thanks i cant see any info inside the garage to say what the max load should be ,,does your have a sticker or panel stating load limits ,,?

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
It’s not a floor loading limit. I think that is 300kg. It’s just I’m overweight on the rear axle if I exceed 50kg or thereabouts.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
hi thanks i cant see any info inside the garage to say what the max load should be ,,does your have a sticker or panel stating load limits ,,?

I do not have any details specific to your MoHo, rob1234, but from previously looking a a variety of new Coach-built conversions which I have considered buying, it seems that when the Converter places a sticker inside the garage door this is the maximum advisable floor loading for the construction they have made. Typically I found this to be 200 kg for a 7m coach-built and 150 kg for a 7.5 m model (presumably less because of the extra overhang construction). I suspect that Converters could build more robust Garage floors with greater load-bearing capacity, but this would add to the overall weight of the vehicle and especially so on the rear axle.

However, I would be surprised if any of the foregoing has much relevance to your loading in the garage. The limiting factor will be the actual load carried by the rear axle. In your case, without having modified your suspension and tyre ratings, this is limited to the Fiat design weight of 2000 kg. As I said in my earlier posting on this thread, the only way to be sure is to have each axle weighed when fully laden.

Upvote 0

GLR

Apr 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Semi-integrated
Exp
Since 2012
hi ,,having a big garage is great, first time away with it, i found myself just throwing everything in ,,but has anyone got ideas about good loading methods how to use the space better ,,thanks
I was also overwhelmed by mine. Three practical ideas that have made a big difference. 1. I attached a hanging rail to the back wall, dead space where now hang all our jackets, coats and my wife’s dresses too long fur the interior wardrobe. 2. Near the back wall I attached two elasticated loops on either side of the width of garage and through these I keep all poles, such as awning pole, brushes, extension pole for the washing line etc. 3. I attached a hanging net to the roof of the garage in which I keep folding beach chair, table, windbreak etc. Both number 2 and 3 keeps all these things off the floor which then makes it much easier to use the space. I this helps and good luck.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If that's the case your rear axle could already be 2400kg so you shouldn't have any problems being able to use the extra capacity due to uprating without mods assuming it's not an Alko.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The limiting factor will be the actual load carried by the rear axle. In your case, without having modified your suspension and tyre ratings, this is limited to the Fiat design weight of 2000 kg
Should be 2400kg on the heavy chassis assuming it's not an Alko.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
I was also overwhelmed by mine. Three practical ideas that have made a big difference. 1. I attached a hanging rail to the back wall, dead space where now hang all our jackets, coats and my wife’s dresses too long fur the interior wardrobe. 2. Near the back wall I attached two elasticated loops on either side of the width of garage and through these I keep all poles, such as awning pole, brushes, extension pole for the washing line etc. 3. I attached a hanging net to the roof of the garage in which I keep folding beach chair, table, windbreak etc. Both number 2 and 3 keeps all these things off the floor which then makes it much easier to use the space. I this helps and good luck.
sounds good any photos ,,?

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2023
Poolewe, Achnasheen, UK
Funster No
MH
B704 SL
Exp
Hymer
We find stackable crates useful, we do not have a lot of room having a HD 883 Iron, or 2 monkey bikes, on board, oh and a blow up kayak too, so we need to be organised 🤔, to fit in 🥂 on our return 👍🤩

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Not sure this is correct, Mel. The OP said that he had had the MoHo up-plated to 3960 kg. If the rear axle is 2400 kg, this would mean the front axle is only 1560 kg. Does not seem likely to me. 🤔
Let's not forget that axle weights are usually higher than the MTPLM. Our AT Transit F Line has 1850kg on the front & 2250kg on the rear, the van is plated at 3500kg.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
Let's not forget that axle weights are usually higher than the MTPLM. Our AT Transit F Line has 1850kg on the front & 2250kg on the rear, the van is plated at 3500kg.
hi can you explain this ,,from pilote tech page there seems to be two figures for the heavy chassis ,,4400kg and mine was 3650kg i unsure what that is ,,?

20240703_145853.jpg

20240703_150346.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Mclouis fusion 360
I fitted a piece of 15mm plyboard to cover back bulkhead, this has had numerous screw hooks and eyes attached where I want them to keep the loose stuff contained with bungee rope. Holds up the collapsible chairs, the arms for rollalong water butt and it's pump, spring clips for the fire extinguisher, coat hooks, small hoses, etc . Hooks and clips can be moved around as wanted without worrying about affecting panelling integrity.
Mal & Moy
Hi, this is what I want to do, but am nervous about how to attach, how do you attach the ply to the van. Thanks Steve

Upvote 0

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I made a table to fit into the garage in order to avoid too much moving everything on top out to get to what’s underneath. We also carry two folding electric bikes so I cut recesses to locate each bike in the same place each time we load and unload.
My latest version uses square dexion tubing for the frame
IMG_0364.jpeg
IMG_0365.jpeg

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Motorbike in first. Strapped down in the middle. Everything else chucked in around it!

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Of course, but the maximum total weight you can register with the DVLA is the sum of both axle limits as defined by Fiat (in the OP’s case, Ford in yours) in the design weight, unless you upgrade the suspension and the tyre ratings.

I the OP’s case, his MoHo was up-rated to the limit of the design weight set by Fiat, as he did not modify the suspension or tyre ratings.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not sure this is correct, Mel. The OP said that he had had the MoHo up-plated to 3960 kg. If the rear axle is 2400 kg, this would mean the front axle is only 1560 kg. Does not seem likely to me. 🤔
Not necessarily, when we had Globecars on a heavy chassis the axle weights were 2000 & 2400 but the uprating only took it them to 4250. It really depends on what Pilote has put on their weight plate as sometimes the ones Fiat originally issue the Ducato as having are then altered by the converter.

Our Carthago had 1850 front and 2000 rear axle capacities but with us fitting semi-air on the rear it took the rear axle capacity to 2240 with an overall max of 3850 .

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2023
Bridgend, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Bursner Solarno 690
Exp
since 2016
The plyboard is resting on a step in garage, the floor would be just as good. Board is attached to the van bulkhead by 4 x M6 coach bolts and sleeve nuts, these were coated in CT1 sealant before fitting to prevent water ingress. The sleeve nuts go through plyboard and tighten coach bolts into panel until just a slight depression of panel to ensure the CT1 has continuous pressure sealing it. The 2 corners of the board have a peel rivet in to stiffen up board and stop it flapping, these are both internal so water ingress not a problem. The board has been fitted for the past 3 years with no problems or water ingress. The board covers the entire back of garage and I am forever repositioning the hooks and eyes as the boss buys different things to try and keep gara
1.jpg
2.jpg
2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpgge tidy

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back