Loading The Motorhome Garage? (13 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
hi ,,having a big garage is great, first time away with it, i found myself just throwing everything in ,,but has anyone got ideas about good loading methods how to use the space better ,,thanks

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
92BBA430-2A1E-43B2-B6AC-EDD9BAE8F52E.jpg
92BBA430-2A1E-43B2-B6AC-EDD9BAE8F52E.jpg

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have places for things,

the ladder get tied up near the door,
the windbreaks have a proper [lace on the back wall,
the toolbox and hook up cables etc have a space in the alcove bits at the front,
the table fastens against the back wall and the outside matt stands in a bucket for when it goes back in wet,
the bike panniers hang on the back wall,

that then leaves the floor space clear for bikes and a few boxes/bottles of wine(y) got the priorities right:giggle:

4 chairs, folding step ladders and a few other things go in a locker at the front.

Really it all depends what you are trying to fit it.
I noticed you convinenantly didn't mention your garage is almost big enough to get a small car in. 😊
Reading this it's obvious that just because you have some space many feel the need to fill it.

Often with a load of crap 😁🤣🤣
And why not. 🤣

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think when you start towing a box van containing your own supermarket though then you've really lost it. I saw one the other day with about 8 cases of bottled water I can only assume they've brought from Germany 🤣🤣

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: HKF
Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Nah it's not that big :unsure: I like the fact that we have other outside storage options though so keeping the garage floor area clear of rubbish.
I liked that with the frankia and the euramobil...it had huge lockers under the front lounge that went across the whole van , a proper double floored set up . Was amazing what you could fit in there.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
We just use rako boxes

View attachment 916398

View attachment 916399

Find them quite useful
A very neat garage. Have a BBQ like that. Bought a 70x40x45 stacker box from Dunelm. BBQ goes in that, means we can stack other stuff on top of that and there’s space in the box for wire brushes, cooking utensils etc. keeps it all together.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We have two large recesses in our garage each take 3 supermarket stacking bread baskets, these are lightweight and accessible from the front. Tall stuff lives in the top one and heavy smaller things lower down.

Upvote 0
Mar 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
hi ,,having a big garage is great, first time away with it, i found myself just throwing everything in ,,but has anyone got ideas about good loading methods how to use the space better ,,thanks
I bought some aluminium square cross-section tubing on-line. You can buy all the fixings (push fit) and make your own racking to suit. It works for me and utilises most of the space. The trouble with plastic crates (and I do use them as well) is you always require what’s in the bottom one.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
As I’m petrified of drilling into the motorhome I used the internal bike rack fittings to hold two metal shelving bars (the u shaped ones that you clips shelves into ) these bars run from top to bottom of the garage and are light and strong . I then used ratchet straps to hole the spare wheel again them (weight then by the floor) and the same for the telescopic ladder and the ramps . Lighter stuff is hooked onto them but all the weight is on the garage floor . The only downside is that more of the gear is in the centre of the garage which makes getting to it a bit of a stretch . Other than that has worked well

Upvote 0
May 23, 2016
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Competent, sometimes.
What we pack depends where were are going, and what we are doing when we get there.
For example, we go to Spain for the winter and take different things than for a weekend at Donington Park watching British Superbikes.
Wife has different lists on a laptop. That way I do not forget anything.
All this evolves over time, and we would rather take everything needed to make our time in the van as enjoyable as possible.
Went to the Isle of Man Manx GP last year, the garage had the scoot, 2 ebikes and a race cycle. Bit of a squeeze.
P1010522.JPG

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2023
Weymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
DIY Transit
Exp
On first long trip
It's a 7 step process. (y)
  1. When the garage is totally empty layout everything you are planning to take with you on the ground.
  2. Put half of the stuff back in the house.
  3. Move the remaining stuff around a bit.
  4. Now put half of it back in the house.
  5. Put what's left on the gound into the garage.
  6. When you return from your trip take the half of the stuff you packed and didn't use out.
  7. You have now packed the garage correctly.
You might as well start packing the garage as nobody else will come up with anywhere near as good a solution as this!(y)
We must have gone to the same school! My method is very similar:
1. Make spreadsheet detailing all the things you plan to do on the trip.
2. Add in the stuff, and money, needed to do it.
3. Take one third of that stuff and 3 times that much money.

Obviously the wheels fall off all these precision methods once you have a wife.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Surely the first question you should be asking is what is the garage payload? The larger the overhang the less payload you have. Just because it's large doesn't mean it can be stuffed full of all your goodies & gear.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
Surely the first question you should be asking is what is the garage payload? The larger the overhang the less payload you have. Just because it's large doesn't mean it can be stuffed full of all your goodies & gear.
hi the question was how to load it ,not how much you can get in it ,,

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
We’re weight and volume limited. I designed and built racking specifically for the items we carry. I used aluminium angle riveted together. Shelves are thin plywood. The whole racking system is removable in one piece.

Will all stop working if we change chairs, get a wider spare wheel, or different BBQ etc :-(

Reactions: HKF
Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2023
Bridgend, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Bursner Solarno 690
Exp
since 2016
I fitted a piece of 15mm plyboard to cover back bulkhead, this has had numerous screw hooks and eyes attached where I want them to keep the loose stuff contained with bungee rope. Holds up the collapsible chairs, the arms for rollalong water butt and it's pump, spring clips for the fire extinguisher, coat hooks, small hoses, etc . Hooks and clips can be moved around as wanted without worrying about affecting panelling integrity.
Mal & Moy

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

I largely agree, but it does depend on the Motorhome.. Large overhangs can have huge payloads too! 🤪

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
I largely agree, but it does depend on the Motorhome.. Large overhangs can have huge payloads too! 🤪
Well yeah but the OP has a pilote G740 which if not up plated only has a 450kg - 550KG payload. My F Line has more than that but still only 150KG in the garage. It's not a RS RV like your beauty.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
Well yeah but the OP has a pilote G740 which if not up plated only has a 450kg - 550KG payload. My F Line has more than that but still only 150KG in the garage. It's not a RS RV like your beauty.
hi thanks just had it up plated to 3960kg so should have 850kg pay load ,,i think

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back