Little bit of help - please can you guys tell us what you typically do when rolling through France towards the South of France, Spain or Portugal ? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Only having driven through France once in a Motorhome so we would say A only stopping overnight if we have to, but are now looking at alternatives ferries to shorten the route,🙂
Yes we tend to roll straight through to Belgium or Germany 😁😁

Although we have been staying at gravelines a few times when catch an early tunnel back or coming over late….

OP
OP
D
Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
He does have a french wife which must help with those sort of things.
Is that really a risk ? Just as in UK it would be trespass on occupied land surely, the same as if they invaded your garden?

Hmmm - I will dig or ask someone cleverer than me to dig, but i’ve never heard of that happening, and neither has Bea. I can imagine the French probably quickly becoming quite aggressive with them if the gypsies entered and occupied private property…

Anyway creating good relations with the Mairie etc we already know is the first thing you have to do anywhere….

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
The place has secret tunnels linking the old chapel and original castle,
Not a secret anymore😂😂

Good luck with this if you go for it, would love to have done something like this when younger but to laid back now😎😎

If it has a lake it may be good for fishing holidays as big money in Carp fishing now👍

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Is that really a risk ? Just as in UK it would be trespass on occupied land surely, the same as if they invaded your garden?

Hmmm - I will dig or ask someone cleverer than me to dig, but i’ve never heard of that happening, and neither has Bea. I can imagine the French probably quickly becoming quite aggressive with them if the gypsies entered and occupied private property…

Anyway creating good relations with the Mairie etc we already know is the first thing you have to do anywhere….

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/why-no-gypsies-on-french-aires.214329/

You could try asking yodeli for more information. She seems to have experienced this problem more than once. Very stressful for her.

The situation has become more confused after the Roms were also classified as gens de voyage and the intinerant Roms started being deported by the French authorities after dismantling their encampments. Rather futile, because the Roms were entitled to travel freely throughout the Schengen zone and re-enter France. The media were very keen to report that controversy. Irish Travellers are quite a common sight in France too. Some are in motorhomes nowadays.

In the UK it tends to be less publicised when Travellers invade Club campsites but I have witnessed it happening on a CAMC site. A number of vans and pickup trucks towing caravans suddenly appeared. Someone seemed to be using an electronic key/token to keep raising the entrance barrier to let them in. I was leaving that morning anyway so I don't know what followed. I felt sorry for the Wardens. In my previous professional life I was involved in issuing possession proceedings against them (un-named defendants, of course) when they invaded construction sites. It usually took a few weeks minimum, and involved legal costs and eviction costs using bailiffs, that were irrecoverable. They know the rules and exactly when to leave. I dreaded those phone calls from site managers.

Edit - I don't want to overplay this but just flag it up as a contingency to be aware of.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

I think the local Gendarmarie are relatively intolerant to Romany travellers, and dont mess about , after all they do carry guns in France
I think we would be all interested in your final outcome and on the strength of that, depending on where the site was ,would attract funster visitors, ( even just for a few days)cos we are a nosey lot, but would of course expect a good discount for all the valuable advice we have proffered. (y) :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D
Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
Cool. Thanks all. Off to see a completely different site on the coast in 2 days. Prime beach front real estate, really big money again, and need to borrow over a million and a half to buy and develop again, but this one is a naked pitch campsite for nothing more than the value of the (extremely expensive beachfront) land.

Btw we put in an offer for the grand old place, €1.25m. Got told in no uncertain terms to go away. :)

OP
OP
D
Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
Not a secret anymore😂😂

Good luck with this if you go for it, would love to have done something like this when younger but to laid back now😎😎

If it has a lake it may be good for fishing holidays as big money in Carp fishing now👍

Thanks.

No carp lake on this one I’m afraid, though we’ve seen a few with decent ponds. In addition to the hard business considerations and opportunities, I also am dreaming of hosting classic or other car rallies and shows (I like my classic and sports cars) in the shoulder, it’s the sort of place that lends itself well to that sort of thing.

OP
OP
D
Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
Hi.
Stayed at a " Les Castel's" ? site in France,with a Chateau in the grounds , when we c/vanned. They did meals in the chateau,if you went in the morning and said what you would like to eat that night,the Chef would get all the stuff needed and your meal would be ready at the said time wanted,so there is a plus.It also had BIG pitches,really liked their sites, all we stayed at were very high quality..
Tea Bag
think u might have it. Can u remember where?

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
Hello Everyone

We introduced ourselves to the forum and community on here a few months back, we are living in our 2002 B544 while looking to find a campsite to buy and develop in France. We’ve been looking since last October, and we’ve seen about 25 sites so far.

There’s one I keep coming back to like a moth to a flame. It’s probably because I’m an idiot, but it’s got ‘money pit’ and ‘future bankruptcy’ written all over it. It’s completely run down, needs a couple of million investing, it’s in a non tourist area (but is very near the main route through western France), there’s huge industrial development a little bit too close to it, the asking price is a ridiculous €1.7m inc fees and we’d be in so far over our heads that we wouldn’t be able to see the surface..

My French wife wants to run a mile, but, like I said, moth to a flame. I can’t resist a challenge.

You guys are a potentially one of the key possible customer bases for us, To help us with decision making, may I ask as many of you guys as possible to answer/contribute with a simple answer to the below question?

If you could write either a), b), c), d) or e), together with a line outlining your rationale, and what would tempt you to answer c) or d) it may well be enormously helpful.

For those experienced motorhomers who regularly do continental travel to either the south of france, spain or italy, if you prefer to roll through part or all of western France (as opposed to take the ferry to Santander or Bilbao), when rolling through France, do you, in general:

a) wildcamp, or stop at the huge network of free aires, then overnight and away. Why pay for overnights anywhere when you just don’t have to?

b) stop at one of the many paid aires, usually costing roughly €5-15 per night, more space and security, often better located, quieter etc. Possible to take the bikes and explore a little.

c) stop at campsites, enjoy the pool (if open), get the awning and tables out, relax a little explore the local town or village, try a local restaurant, maybe stay a couple of nights, ‘i.e. the travel is part of the holiday/fun’ - usually the cost is about €30-€40 or out of season €15-20 with the ACSI card.

d) a mix of the above, it depends (for example) on how much of a hurry we are in, how attractive, interesting and English/Brit friendly the site we are passing is, or how good it’s restaurant looks (from the search result/website or phone call)

e) none, don’t like france or don’t like too much time ‘on the road’, so we start early, use autoroutes, cough for the tolls and usually make it to spain in a day or so

Many thanks in advance for your replies !

Pls don’t ask about the site in question, I know some of you will know it, I have seen loads of Brit reviews. Most Brits have said the same, it could be great but has been run into the ground… All in good time, dependent on answers of course :)
A or B - probably not what you want to hear, but it’s a survey. We ( 2 of us, no pets no kids) don’t need swimming pools or bars - we explore as the whim takes us. Once in a blue moon, if the place we want to visit and the aire is too basic - we will stay at a campsite. Maybe also when we need laundry and no town nearby has a laundromat.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
A or B.
We are actually on a site near the south west coast. This is a one off though as we are with tent camping relatives for a week.. its a nice enough site but only 3 vans here though its practically Easter and school holidays.
Normally we do not come down the western side of France.
We would not normally consider spending more than £10 a night.
I should have mentioned that everyone staying here is British. It seems rare to find any French on a site perhaps its why they don't care much for paid aires either. Why pay when you can stay for free .

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
We, too, set up a "green field" inbound tourism based business, but in Spain some 17 years ago. I would counsel reflecting on the saying "Location, location, location".
If it's not in an area you'd like to stay in yourself then why would anyone else want to?

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Newton Abbot, UK
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
A & B until we get to a destination which is likely to be in a tourist holiday area and then a campsite.

You and your wife are a partnership. You both need to be dead keen if its to work or she will forever resent the work, the lack of free time and you for dragging her into the mess.

Get real!

OP
OP
D
Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
A & B until we get to a destination which is likely to be in a tourist holiday area and then a campsite.

You and your wife are a partnership. You both need to be dead keen if its to work or she will forever resent the work, the lack of free time and you for dragging her into the mess.

Get real!
thanks. That thought hadn’t occurred to me.

OP
OP
D
Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
We, too, set up a "green field" inbound tourism based business, but in Spain some 17 years ago. I would counsel reflecting on the saying "Location, location, location".
If it's not in an area you'd like to stay in yourself then why would anyone else want to?
absolutely. The main thing holding me back and why we are heading to the coast tomorrow to look at 2 completely undeveloped and bare hectares behind a dune with beach access for €1.5m. Coastal land is 80-100 € per metre squared. Hence €1.6m absolute minimum for 2 Ha….

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Mostly B with occassional D to freshen up. not really interested in Pools etc but thats just us.

With regards to the "moth" of a site, I think I'd take the wifes advise.

OP
OP
D
Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
Mostly B with occassional D to freshen up. not really interested in Pools etc but thats just us.

With regards to the "moth" of a site, I think I'd take the wifes advise.
I was joking. ‘the wife’ is, actually, while very nervous. dead keen to go ahead and take the massive challenge on. It is I! Leclerc!, who remains nervous.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
dawsey chaser

I have seen SpeedyDux has mentionned me about this thread and gypsies. I must read the whole thread and right now my eyes burnt so tired I am . One sure thing (without knowing what it's all about) is that being French doesn't make you aware of what gypsies can do here in France. How rules/laws are not effective when it comes to these people.
Will have a proper read tomorrow, and give you a proper answer, if my knowledge allows.
Since mi-March I've been fighting day after day to prevent them to invade the stadium again, as it's now they start to look for a good place... and it is a good place here!

Good evening all....:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
dawsey chaser

I have seen SpeedyDux has mentionned me about this thread and gypsies. I must read the whole thread and right now my eyes burnt so tired I am . One sure thing (without knowing what it's all about) is that being French doesn't make you aware of what gypsies can do here in France. How rules/laws are not effective when it comes to these people.
Will have a proper read tomorrow, and give you a proper answer, if my knowledge allows.
Since mi-March I've been fighting day after day to prevent them to invade the stadium again, as it's now they start to look for a good place... and it is a good place here!

Purple version !

:giggler: 😜

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Coastal land is 80-100 € per metre squared. Hence €1.6m absolute minimum for 2 Ha….

That does make me wonder how pitch fees can be so reasonable over there compared with those in the U.K.
I suppose if the 'Greenfield' business was to fail you'd at least still have the value of the land plus the fixed asset of utilities that you have had to install from scratch - leccy, water, roads, hard standings, buildings etc.
Presumably getting good staff for an established or Greenfield site isn't a challenge.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Travellers on a winter dash to the warmth will (mainly) be trying to get south as quickly as possible. The western route is best due to less cold weather on this side of France during winter.

Driving back through France in Spring, I actually prefer leaving Spain to the East, past Barcelona up to Montpellier then North through the centre. I’m not sure if we are an anomaly in this regard or not. 🤷‍♂️

On this basis, we are A’s on the dash South and A’s and B’s on the Central route north!

You also have to remember, many people are now restricted to 90 days… meandering back is less attractive now too.

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
D for us. For example, this year we thought we might go down to the Cinque Terre in Italy, but are inclining to Brittany! If we happen on a nice place, we may stop a day or two (aire or site, esp ACSI as we go out of main season) until we end up on a beach!

Aug 2, 2019
Hapton, Burnley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Since 2007
D. We like to slowly cruise across France. We use a campsite every 3 to 5 days to empty wastes etc. Take time off from driving. Will stay 2 to 7 days depending on site, it's position and views. We do not like large sites with slides and nerdy gerdies!!
Admire your drive and wish you and your family good fortune and luck - envious as I am retired.

OP
OP
D
Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
dawsey chaser

very much looking forward to your input…

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Having looked at a few commercial campsites for sale in France there seems to be quite a lot of good sites with good facilities for under a million that seem modern, clean and well kept that in my limited opinion seem ideal for a couple/family to run and probably make a decent living without too much stress and hard work, can I ask why you seem determined to get into dept and have such a hard task of maintaining a much bigger complex site…?

I don’t know your ages or situation so it’s baffling me as to why you want to put yourself in that situation…😎

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back