Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Afternoon,,,

just got in,, all paving done,, just pointing, tidying up and packing away to do on Monday! Well pleased, hope the weather is dry Monday and all will be good! 0D8ED035-6AA2-418B-A179-432141ADC2EC.jpeg

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
For info ,,, I was in the builders merchant today and I looked at those easy point tubs,,

3 kilos for £25.00 approx,,, I reckon I’d need 20 of them for this work,,, rediculous price! Imo!!! Just saying!!

Norfolk Red

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
2 Years
Looks really good Ian. Bet they are pleased with that.
Will get some info on Sunday as playing golf with Ady. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
For info ,,, I was in the builders merchant today and I looked at those easy point tubs,,

3 kilos for £25.00 approx,,, I reckon I’d need 20 of them for this work,,, rediculous price! Imo!!! Just saying!!
Yes it is expensive but saves a lot of time and is resin based so keeps the weeds out, I needed four tubs for 52 m2 , it also saved the old knees a bit.👍😊

Last edited:
OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Good afternoon,,,

it’s was so nice out this morning, I decided to go to work to get some of the painting done,,, just to give me a head start for tomorrow,,,, but it was a lovely day, I had the radio on, kettle constantly boiling and I found that by 3 o’clock I had finished the whole lot,, and I started at a lazy 10 o’clock!

so tomorrow is just doing a bit of tidying up, cleaning, tools on van, backfilling edgings with topsoil I saved etc,, yes I’m pleased and so is the customer,, in fact there so pleased theyinsisted I got paid today, and not tomorrow when I’ve done! That was a nice gesture!! Really nice people, another pleasurable weeks work! 274F20C9-3728-47B8-A707-2026162BC897.jpeg I’m putting pebbles down along the fence edge, and I’m wet pointing round the manhole tomorrow! Should look ok when I’m done!! Yes I’m happy with it! Xx

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
As you live in Norwich are you on that big corona test this they want to do. It was on tv about testing the whole population of Norwich.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Good afternoon,,,

it’s was so nice out this morning, I decided to go to work to get some of the painting done,, a nice gesture!! another pleasurable weeks work! View attachment 398381

That's well painted, Picasso couldn't have done better. Was it quick drying emulsion or gloss?
:rofl: :rofl: I

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
That's well painted, Picasso couldn't have done better. Was it quick drying emulsion or gloss?
:rofl: :rofl: I

hammerite!!! Gloss black on concrete!

do you think they will notice that there’s no slabs down???

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Yes he is doing that,,, I tried to get a new one but it’s a strange size! I didn’t want to alter the manhole itself! He’s going to paint it , prob grey or black!!
Black Hammerite, like the rest. :rofl:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Our friends son bought a house with a hard standing for his car made from slate from snooker tables. There were eight slabs. I don’t know how thick they were but it took his Nova.
I think they would be expensive to buy now. It looked nice in the rain but it was very slippery because there was a tree next to it.

Ive laid Indian sandstone down in front of our garage and parking for two cars.
It’s laid into a concrete sub base.

None have moved or cracked as the load goes straight through to the concrete.

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
All done and the customer was so happy they gave me an extra £20,,, Now you don’t get that often these days! View attachment 398586
a friend of mine was persuaded to put a job on hold and do an urgent favour, as they said there was a drink in it for him. He got paid and they gave him a bottle of their home brew rhubarb wine as a tip :roflmto: he was seriously peed off

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
a friend of mine was persuaded to put a job on hold and do an urgent favour, as they said there was a drink in it for him. He got paid and they gave him a bottle of their home brew rhubarb wine as a tip :roflmto: he was seriously peed off

sounds like the famous tommy cooper story!!

he got a London cabbie, bloke was chatting to him all the way and he let tommy off the fare,, so tommy leaned forward and tucked something into the cabbies top pocket,, have a drink on me tommy said,,, cabby was chuffed, went to his pocket and pulled out a tea bag! Lololol

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Good morning!!!

well the weather has been lovely,, and life is good !!

my adverts in the local free paper have gone in, started last week,, I have had 2enquiries already,, been to see them, one is already priced and sent , that one is to brick/ block in an existing back door, plaster to a finish inside etc, just up to the customer now!!

2nd one is a small side extension for a downstairs we and basin, 1.4 mtrs deep, 2 mtrs long, with a sloping tiled roof and anew doorway through from the hall,,i shall be pricing that this week and emailing customer ASAP!

I did have a bit of a setback though!
That builder I’m supposed to be doing the two story extension for, in Norwich rang me, and asked me to come and build the footings so they can get the oversite in,, ok I said I can do it wed,,,( today) the price was £300 ,
160 concrete blocks and 300 bricks,, I think I could have done it in a long day!!

he rang me Tuesday night and said, come Thursday it’s not ready,, ok says I !!!

got a call last night, Ian, I’ve got another bricklayer to do it. £ 50 cheaper than you,,

ok mate I said, thanks for the previous work and good luck to you!

can’t you match his price he said ?

yes I said,,,,, but I’m not going to!! I’m sick of working cheap to save you money,, you agreed the price,, you’ve changed your mind, no problem to me Colin,,, good luck with it all,,,,

I’m hoping I havnt cut my nose to spite my face, but I’m just fed up with people who know nothing of the job that just want to save money,,,, now this is what’s going to happen,,,, I gave him a good price to build the extension,most of the face work has to be built overhand, due to a fence that’s right next to the build ,, I’m pretty sure the other bloke won’t want to do that,, for my price,,,, we shall see!!

anyway, onwards and upwards, feeling pretty positive about things, especially with the early reactions from my advert! Watch this space!!

I hope your all well, and getting to somewhere back to normal ? Xxxxx

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Good morning!!!

well the weather has been lovely,, and life is good !!

my adverts in the local free paper have gone in, started last week,, I have had 2enquiries already,, been to see them, one is already priced and sent , that one is to brick/ block in an existing back door, plaster to a finish inside etc, just up to the customer now!!

2nd one is a small side extension for a downstairs we and basin, 1.4 mtrs deep, 2 mtrs long, with a sloping tiled roof and anew doorway through from the hall,,i shall be pricing that this week and emailing customer ASAP!

I did have a bit of a setback though!
That builder I’m supposed to be doing the two story extension for, in Norwich rang me, and asked me to come and build the footings so they can get the oversite in,, ok I said I can do it wed,,,( today) the price was £300 ,
160 concrete blocks and 300 bricks,, I think I could have done it in a long day!!

he rang me Tuesday night and said, come Thursday it’s not ready,, ok says I !!!

got a call last night, Ian, I’ve got another bricklayer to do it. £ 50 cheaper than you,,

ok mate I said, thanks for the previous work and good luck to you!

can’t you match his price he said ?

yes I said,,,,, but I’m not going to!! I’m sick of working cheap to save you money,, you agreed the price,, you’ve changed your mind, no problem to me Colin,,, good luck with it all,,,,

I’m hoping I havnt cut my nose to spite my face, but I’m just fed up with people who know nothing of the job that just want to save money,,,, now this is what’s going to happen,,,, I gave him a good price to build the extension,most of the face work has to be built overhand, due to a fence that’s right next to the build ,, I’m pretty sure the other bloke won’t want to do that,, for my price,,,, we shall see!!

anyway, onwards and upwards, feeling pretty positive about things, especially with the early reactions from my advert! Watch this space!!

I hope your all well, and getting to somewhere back to normal ? Xxxxx
When Colin rings you back put the price up £50 🙂

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
You did right Ian by standing your ground, I would have done the same. I would have asked him if he was passing the saving onto the client. I bet the quality of the work with this new bricklayer is not up to your standard. Onwards and upwards!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back