Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 1, 2020
Brassempouy, south west France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B878 SL
Exp
Since Feb 2020
It's apparent that many funsters prefer left hand drive vans to right hand drive. However, if you buy a new LHD van in the UK does it come with headlights that dip left or right? Similar question for tail lights, as reversing light and single high intensity fog light (if there's only one fitted) need to be on the opposite side to UK.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many new vans, if not all, come with a flat beam.... No kick up either way.
As for tail lights... I have a trailer, built in one of the east european countries, with a cert of uk conformity.
The fog and reverse are on the wrong sides and should be the other way round to comply with uk law.
Infact im sure if theres only one fog light it should be central. .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
It's apparent that many funsters prefer left hand drive vans to right hand drive. However, if you buy a new LHD van in the UK does it come with headlights that dip left or right? Similar question for tail lights, as reversing light and single high intensity fog light (if there's only one fitted) need to be on the opposite side to UK.
I would say it has to comply with UK law/standards in all respects.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Many new vans, if not all, come with a flat beam.... No kick up either way.
As for tail lights... I have a trailer, built in one of the east european companies, with a cert of uk conformity.
The fog and reverse are on the wrong sides and should be the other way round to comply with uk law.
Infact im sure if theres only one fog light it should be central. .
I thought a single foglight should be on the offside. It would be very easy to wire from the existing one and cut that off.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
So they should, they can be a nightmare to change

1725982640484.png

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
My understanding is that in order for it to be registered it needs to be compliant in all respects.

I have a LHD PVC which was first registered (by another owner) in Spain before being imported here and registered in the UK. I add Eurolites stickers for driving on the continent.

Conversely, I have a RHD car in Portugal which was 'matriculated' there. The process entailed replacing the headlights with ones that were compliant for driving on the right.

Upvote 0
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-t 580 4x4
Exp
Getting there!
My new LHD Sprinter Cab Hymer MLt has flat beams LEDs. That said the part number for the headlights is different to the part number for the RHD LED headlights in my last Sprinter.

They are freakishly bright though!

I reckon if you order LHD you will get LHD headlights. If they LED they should be flat beam and fine.

IMG_5484.jpg

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My new LHD Sprinter Cab Hymer MLt has flat beams LEDs. That said the part number for the headlights is different to the part number for the RHD LED headlights in my last Sprinter.

They are freakishly bright though!

I reckon if you order LHD you will get LHD headlights. If they LED they should be flat beam and fine.

View attachment 947612
Ours is LHD but built to UK spec so 3 pin sockets and left dipping lights.

Upvote 0
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-t 580 4x4
Exp
Getting there!
My understanding is that in order for it to be registered it needs to be compliant in all respects.
I've just got the UK Type Approval for mine as part of the registration process.

I just needed to prove, by way of a letter from my local garage, the following points ...
------
Headlights
The vehicle has Original factory fitted flat-beam LED headlights.
Speedometer
The existing digital speedometer is, permanently, re-programmed, through a standard feature of the vehicle, to display the vehicle speed in miles per hour.
Rear Foglight
The vehicle has rear-fog lights fitted as standard on both the rear left and right of the vehicle.
------

If you want a new LHD buy in Germany, there are deals to be done. Mine came in after all costs, customs fees, travel etc at 21% less than buying in the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
If you are buying a LHD vehicle in UK it should have compliant lights, ans others have mentioned. Incidentally the latest Ducato (LED) do not have flat beams, according to Simon at Adams Morey. You would need beam benders for Europe.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I swapped the reverse light for a rear foglight, so now there's a foglight on both left and right. Then I added two new LED reverse lights, much better for reversing in the dark now.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back