Leisure batteries system sending me crazy----HELP PLEASE---- (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

John Proctor

Free Member
Sep 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato benimar
The old saying .... climbing the walls ... is an understatement!
2001fiat ducato benimar europe st 6000 ... proper straight Flys through its mot over the 3 years I've had it.... love it to bits... However me and my trusted benimar are about to proper fall out I've looked and tried everything to stop this problem ...
I am reaching out for that one thing I haven't done to fix this problem.
New under bonnet starter battery cranks spot on.
A 110 ah leisure battery under both front seats that charge to 13.6 / 8 when I start the engine, checked by a multimeter and also showing the same on the control panel. All the motorhome Internal lights work and everything else as they should. So here's the problem, when I turn the engine off and test the batteries there sat at 13.6 / 8. Then turning just the habitation lights on the voltage on the control panel drops very quickly and within 4 minutes it's down to 7 and the lights have dimmed before going out. I then check directly to the batteries and they were sat at exactly what the control panel was reading...
I change the battles to two 130ah Gel batteries that I new were ok as I had took them off my garage solar system ... the same is happening with them... good charge .... lights on very quickly down to 7 lights out ...
WHAT ELSE CAN I CHECK I AM GOING OUT OF MY MIND....
HELP PLEASE

20231010_184038.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are measuring the voltage at the battery terminals and seeing these voltages with the lights on then I would take the batteries first to a battery shop and get them tested. The symptoms suggest they are dead despite your assurance they were fine before.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Leisure battery is goosed ie not holding it's charge.
When engine is running, it's your alternator supplying your 12v system

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi there and welcome.

What happens to the battery voltage if after switching off you allow them to rest for 30 minutes then take the voltage ( no lights on).

Sounds to me as if the batteries are shot. If you drained a serviceable fully charged battery down to 7volts in such a short space of time then you would be pulling a lot of current and fuses would be blowing or wires melting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Lead acid batteries can become sulphated. In effect the lead plates get silted up leaving only a small area to do all the work. The small area that is ok will charge up to a full voltage just like a good battery but the capacity is much reduced. What started off as a 110Ah battery might be reduced to say 20Ah.

Upvote 1
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Charge voltage is fine for normal batteries but not GEL, think you need a higher charge voltage, something like 14.4v but charge voltage is meaningless if the battery cannot take the charge for any length of time. If the voltage drops to 7v they are definitely toast. Anything less than 10 volts and they are done for. Also think that GEL batteries are not a good choice for deep discharge. I may be wrong but I understand that AGM batteries are a better choice. The GEL can “burn” on deep discharge. On an old MH the charger will not hold 14.4v for very long, perhaps an hour or so. GEL batteries need a constant 14.4v or thereabouts for about 8 hours.

IMG_1285.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi John, you need a new leisure battery. All batteries have a finite life and it sounds like yours have gone to meet their maker.

You have a couple of options; if your battery used to cope with all your leccy requirements, just replace it. If you'd like a bit more power then investigate (Lithium) LiFePO4. Meanwhile, welcome to the fun (y)

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Hi John, you need a new leisure battery. All batteries have a finite life and it sounds like yours have gone to meet their maker.

You have a couple of options; if your battery used to cope with all your leccy requirements, just replace it. If you'd like a bit more power then investigate (Lithium) LiFePO4. Meanwhile, welcome to the fun (y)
Will an old MH charger handle LiFePO4 batteries though.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
As you say the same thing happens when you tried other batteries it could be worth checking the leisure battery terminal connectors are ok
The leisure battery connections at the 12v PSU/fuse box would also be worth checking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
If you have a DC clamp meter or anmeter you could try to measure if there is any significant current flow when everything is turned off and nothing is charging the batteries

Upvote 0
OP
OP
John Proctor

John Proctor

Free Member
Sep 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato benimar
If you have a DC clamp meter or anmeter you could try to measure if there is any significant current flow when everything is turned off and nothing is charging the batteries
Tried it mate .... thought there could be a pull some where

Upvote 0
OP
OP
John Proctor

John Proctor

Free Member
Sep 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato benimar

Cheers Jim.... I did replace them with two batteries I new were good but it did the same thing drained them

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Is it the batteries or the charge from the engine

I would assume both at some point. Your alternator will charge the batteries on the road and on EHU your built in charger. I doubt either will handle GEL batteries correctly unless the alternator is putting 14.4V and you are driving for long hours.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
I've put two batteries that are good and holding there charge but on the van the voltage is showing the same as the other ..dropping within 4 or 5 mins with just the light being used

Do you have any lights that only work on 240V or should only work on 240V as well as some on 12V. Just wondering why the voltage is pulled down so quickly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
John Proctor

John Proctor

Free Member
Sep 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato benimar
I would assume both at some point. Your alternator will charge the batteries on the road and on EHU your built in charger. I doubt either will handle GEL batteries correctly unless the alternator is putting 14.4V and you are driving for long hours.
Could it be earthing out somewhere and pulling the charge

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2023
Battle, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL Auto
Exp
Limited motorhome and campervan hire previously.
If you ignore the lights and run the remaining 12V items does the battery also drop as quickly. The water pump is a good load for instance. Are you using LED lights?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back