Leasure Battery Life

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thank You All
Some really useful advice, all very much appreciated. I will purchase a couple of good quality batteries when we get back home (any recommendations on make model please) I'd rather pay a reasonable price once than a cheaper option twice. Expensive this Motorhome lark isn't it.

Having said that, we both wish we'd swapped from caravanning years ago rather than waiting until we retired.
What type of batteries you can use will depend on what your camper charger can charge ... have a shuftie to find out the make/model of it and/or it has little switches for different battery types.

OP
OP
DerryW
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Am I right to assume the "A" symbol on the front of the FF equals AES ?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I imagine that the previous posts saying that your batteries have had it are correct, but it would be interesting to see how long they hold the charge if you run the fridge on gas and not on hook up, before you change them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Am I right to assume the "A" symbol on the front of the FF equals AES ?
Pretty sure it means 'automatic' short for automatic energy selection.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Further to my last post, my battery went down to 9V over a year ago when the heater fan was left on after a habitation service. The Sergeant controller on ours switches off at 9V to protect the battery - it is still working fine over a year later (y)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Oh what I'd give to have a 3-way fridge instead of the all-electric one I've got ... :crying:

Just when I'd convinced myself that we would be able to manage with a compressor instead of 3 way fridge you go and post this.:cry:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
AES means Automatic Energy Selection. The switch has an A position, for fully automatic mode. If you want to override that, switch to one of the manual positions - 230V, 12V or Gas.

In automatic mode, it switches to 12V when the engine is running. When the engine stops, there is a delay of about 15 minutes, for safety if you stop for fuel. Then it switches on the gas.

If you plug in the EHU, it detects it and switches over to 230V mode automatically. If the EHU goes off, it switches back to Gas.

Most people rarely use 12V when the engine isn't running. You have to switch off the gas on ferries and in the Channel Tunnel, so you can use 12V in that situation if you want.

OP
OP
DerryW
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
@autorouter thanks for the very comprehensive reply and simple explanation. So in essence I should leave the FF on "A" and forget about it?

One thing that @Jasz mentions would make perfect sense. When the FF was purely running on 12v and the status of the battery changed very quickly from 13.2v to 8.9v (see start of thread) there was a distinct click from under the seat where the leisure batteries and inverter are fitted. could this be the "Sargent Controller" whatever that is? and if so, the batteries may well be okay after all. We've always shirred away from travelling with the gas turned on for safety reason, however we will now change that practice. I assume the FF would consume quite a lot of gas if let on overnight, before switching to either 12v (when engine running) or EHU.

Thanks again. just shows the power of being a member of this forum. its got to be the best £15 (I think that is what I paid) I've spent since purchasing the MoHo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Further to my last post, my battery went down to 9V over a year ago when the heater fan was left on after a habitation service. The Sergeant controller on ours switches off at 9V to protect the battery - it is still working fine over a year later (y)
But how much capacity does still have, you would need to run a controlled discharge test to find out.
9v is far too low to allow a battery to go down to even under load, most chargers switch off at 10.5 or 11 v.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We've always shirred away from travelling with the gas turned on for safety reason,
It is fine if you have a Secumotion regulator (it has crash protection) and anti-rupture hoses ( shut the gas off at the bottle if the hose splits).
If you don't, carry on turning the gas off when travelling for your own and everyone elses safety.

OP
OP
DerryW
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
@LennyHB

Attached are photos of the bottles and filler cap. on each bottle it says "Gaslow R67"

Attachments

• Gas Bottle Filler.JPG
    Gas Bottle Filler.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Gas Bottle Filler.JPG
    Gas Bottle Filler.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Gas Bottles B.JPG
    Gas Bottles B.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 43
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Lucky you. You have 'refillable' gas bottles. You go to a garage that sells LPG (GPL in France) from a pump. Attach the hose to the filler point. You may need an adaptor to fit, in different countries. Gaslow sell a set of them, but the chances are they are already there in some obscure corner of a cupboard.

One advantage of refillables is you can top up any time you like, no need to wait until they are empty.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Oh what I'd give to have a 3-way fridge instead of the all-electric one I've got ... :crying:

Why do you say that ? A friend of ours who has an all-electric says it's great. It's only a small fridge tho, with a very small freezer.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We've always shirred away from travelling with the gas turned on for safety reason, however we will now change that practice. I assume the FF would consume quite a lot of gas if let on overnight, before switching to either 12v (when engine running) or EHU.
You should still have the FF set to 12v when travelling, no point in wasting gas (even if it was safe to drive with it running the FF) as the 12v costs you nothing as the engine provides the power.

So:
  • Use mains electric when on site (unless it is expensive in which case use gas)
  • Use gas when not on hook-up (ie when not on a site or if the electric is expensive)
  • Use 12v when travelling

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just when I'd convinced myself that we would be able to manage with a compressor instead of 3 way fridge you go and post this.:cry:

Why do you say that ? A friend of ours who has an all-electric says it's great. It's only a small fridge tho, with a very small freezer.

It depends on how you use the camper, we wild camp all the time though and never have EHU andwe found last year when away for 2 months over winter in France/Portugal/Spain the batteries (2 x 95ah gels) and solar (2 x 100w) didn't keep it at a good state of charge, when we stopped in one place for a few days this is when it became most noticeable.

For now we've bought a genny to use as a back-up if the need arises, but just going on a campsite for a night once a week, along with travelling, would probably have been sufficient.

I do like the fact that we don't have to remember to turn the fridge from gas to electric etc, there are no draughty vents in the side of the camper, no worrying about putting on winter vents etc, so there are definite bonuses.

Don't let my comments put you off - after having a 3-way fridge before we didn't really have to be overly concerned about power usage but now have to think a bit more about it due to how we use the camper however for most people having an all electric fridge be fine.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@LennyHB

Attached are photos of the bottles and filler cap. on each bottle it says "Gaslow R67"
The R67 bottles have a built in anti-rupture valve & you have a Secumotion regulator so it's safe to drive with the gas on.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It depends on how you use the camper, we wild camp all the time though and never have EHU andwe found last year when away for 2 months over winter in France/Portugal/Spain the batteries (2 x 95ah gels) and solar (2 x 100w) didn't keep it at a good state of charge, when we stopped in one place for a few days this is when it became most noticeable.

For now we've bought a genny to use as a back-up if the need arises, but just going on a campsite for a night once a week, along with travelling, would probably have been sufficient.

I do like the fact that we don't have to remember to turn the fridge from gas to electric etc, there are no draughty vents in the side of the camper, no worrying about putting on winter vents etc, so there are definite bonuses.

Don't let my comments put you off - after having a 3-way fridge before we didn't really have to be overly concerned about power usage but now have to think a bit more about it due to how we use the camper however for most people having an all electric fridge be fine.
Why didn’t you just leave your 3 way fridge on “auto” seems like you complicated things switching sources all the time.

Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Why didn’t you just leave your 3 way fridge on “auto” seems like you complicated things switching sources all the time.

Martin
We only have an electric fridge now so no other option, in the last camper the 3-way fridge was a manual one so no AES function, hence the need to change the power input depending on if we were driving, on EHU or wild camping.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
But how much capacity does still have, you would need to run a controlled discharge test to find out.
9v is far too low to allow a battery to go down to even under load, most chargers switch off at 10.5 or 11 v.
We lasted 4 nights without topping it up at all (long story). Lights, some TV and some heater fan running + charging of phones etc (all on a 75Ah battery), before we noticed it went down of any note (2 LEDs instead of 3 - no flash voltage display on ours, I have to check voltage with a separate voltmeter!)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We lasted 4 nights without topping it up at all (long story). Lights, some TV and some heater fan running + charging of phones etc (all on a 75Ah battery), before we noticed it went down of any note (2 LEDs instead of 3 - no flash voltage display on ours, I have to check voltage with a separate voltmeter!)
Looks like you got away with it, very lucky.
Very few of the modern vans have a decent display anymore that's why a lot of us fit battery monitors like the BVM 700.

John Innings

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
swift
Exp
I have 2 KS Energy lithium batteries model is KS-100 and can run the fridge in my Swift for 24 Hours without an issues, this is a god send when low on LPG and miles from the nearest filling station. It sounds as though your batteries are old and tired.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our fridge is on auto all the time except when going on the tunnel/ferries. As the gas has to be turned off and the fridge will automatically switch to gas 15mins after stopping the engine, it will be sparking away, and will probably light for a bit.
The fire detection on the tunnel is very sensitive. I once went through and had a minute oil leak in my car engine, evacuation alarms going, had to move to a different carriage while it was inspected.
The thing I've never understood is why you're supposed to use their loo (miles away and rather unpleasant) and not you're own because its a fire risk apparently. I always use ours.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
A
Most people rarely use 12V when the engine isn't running. You have to switch off the gas on ferries and in the Channel Tunnel, so you can use 12V in that situation if you want.
Most people can't use 12V when the engine is not running. Most fridges are wired such that 12v can only be used when the engine is running, and, if they are not using 12V on a 3 way fridge without some form of charging soon runs down the battery.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The thing I've never understood is why you're supposed to use their loo (miles away and rather unpleasant) and not you're own because its a fire risk apparently. I always use ours.
We use the tunnel often and have never heard that. The announcements tell you where the toilets are (because most of the vehicles on the train do not have a built in bog!) but I have never heard them say that you can't use your own if you have got one. And nobody has ever old us that we can't use our own toilet.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Unless they have a German van.:)
.... and then only some German vans.

My 2013 Globecar Campscout has neither AES nor is it wired to run the fridge from any 12V supply other than when the engine is running.

bfb

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
I have a Hymer BM640. The 3 way fridge instructions state that the 12 volt should only be used when the engine is running. When not running the fridge will flatten the batteries very quickly so use gas or ehu. Mines not automatic so don't use 12 volt as I will forget to switch over.:whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back