Language….

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Quite possibly but he was heard to say “Fur goodness sake Jean, I’m in the middle of a murrderr case”.

Ian
Of memory serves me correctly when the detective Jardine (I think that’s his name) said the famous words “there’s been a murder” Taggarts reply was something like “there’s a murder at Firhill every week” for those who don’t know Firhill is home of Partick Thistle FC who Taggart supported.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
It always amazes me the difference in accent and words used going from town to town, when I moved to Dumfries in my teens from Glasgow it took a while to understand each others dialects. When I first met my girlfriend now long suffering wife she thought my name was Jacob, how you get that from Gerry I’ve no idea but I think it was about 3 or 4 weeks before she realised 😂😂

Even now in my 50s if we go south Lorraine has to translate for me at times 😂🤣, she says it’s funny as I just start talking faster when they don’t understand and the look on folks faces.

sedge

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Aug 09 to date
I find it strange that the letters X, J and G are all often pronounced as H in some Mediterranean languages ?
In Spanish, a G is hard normal G when it starts a word eg 'garaje' but pronounced like an H in the middle of a word so angel = anhel. J is always pronounced as H.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
In Spanish, a G is hard normal G when it starts a word eg 'garaje' but pronounced like an H in the middle of a word so angel = anhel. J is always pronounced as H.
Next year, let's have a language Rally, a different language each day with wine of that country to accompany. 👍

Nothing serious, just polite greeting etc.

Cheers! Yamas, Proost, Skal! 😄

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I remember asking at school whether the feminine version of ‘il y a’ was ‘elle y a’, much to my french teacher’s amusement.

She told my parents I wasn’t a linguist and not to take German, so I ended up crashing Spanish A level and then, at Cambridge, adding Italian into the mix 😂😂. She was mightily embarrassed later, when meeting my parents in Sainsbury’s.

The one that always gets me is màs in Spanish is ‘more’ and ‘ma’ in Italian is one of the ways to say ‘but’.

Actually, truth be told, when I’m in Italy I end up speaking Spanish and in Spain, Italian.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I remember asking at school whether the feminine version of ‘il y a’ was ‘elle y a’, much to my french teacher’s amusement.

She told my parents I wasn’t a linguist and not to take German, so I ended up crashing Spanish A level and then, at Cambridge, adding Italian into the mix 😂😂. She was mightily embarrassed later, when meeting my parents in Sainsbury’s.

The one that always gets me is màs in Spanish is ‘more’ and ‘ma’ in Italian is one of the ways to say ‘but’.

Actually, truth be told, when I’m in Italy I end up speaking Spanish and in Spain, Italian.
I know the feeling, whenever I was abroad, WHEREVER I was, without stopping to think, the language that I found coming out of my mouth was always French. 😱

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I'm reminded of a British chap I met a few years ago who got top grades in A-level Spanish and then decided to holiday in Benidorm, with a view to living there permanently.

He couldn't understand a word they said. He effectively had to re-learn the lingo from scratch.:LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Fun fact, this saying was only used once in one episode and seems to be his catchphrase even though Taggart never said it 😂😂
Bit like Capt Kirk in the original series and films never said "Beam me up Scotty" but everybody says he did.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I know the feeling, whenever I was abroad, WHEREVER I was, without stopping to think, the language that I found coming out of my mouth was always French. 😱
Same as us! Even if they start speaking to us in English! :giggle:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Apparently coc au van isn't sex in a camper

Who knew
Well
When I got married 8 years ago in Mauritius, the official doing the service concluded the service with “ I wish you both much suck sex in your marriage “ , he couldn’t understand why everyone was on the ground rolling about in tears 😭
IMG_0883.jpeg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
I always thought aperitif was french for dentures. :p

Pierre

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I find it strange that the letters X, J and G are all often pronounced as H in some Mediterranean languages ?
X is prounounced as an 'S' or 'th'
I'm reminded of a British chap I met a few years ago who got top grades in A-level Spanish and then decided to holiday in Benidorm, with a view to living there permanently.

He couldn't understand a word they said. He effectively had to re-learn the lingo from scratch.:LOL:
You get plenty of Spanish from the north who cannot understand the locals around here in Murcia or Next door in Andalucia.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just in passing - who gets to decide if ‘new’ words are feminine or masculine?
It is beyond mortal understanding. Look up "le vagin", there is nothing more feminine but it is masculine.

Greek is a difficult language. I wouldn't bother trying to learn it unless you want to visit regularly or even live there. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back