LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Two to three times a year also. Normally use a car shampoo, this stuff was much easier. Not sure why it gets so bad as don’t park near trees at home. Must be the Skeggy air as the neighbour caravan is equally as bad. View attachment 835189
Any neighbors burning crap in a wood burner, but that normally leaves black bits on the roof.
Last time I did it the ladder fell down and I was stuck up there until some school kids came to my rescue. How they laughed!
Been there done that, always make sure I have phone with me now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Might give it a go, a quarter of the price of Fenwicks & I've run out of the Aldi one I normally use.
They say it's eco freindly & biodegradable but a bit worrying when they say this "Rinse Thoroughly: Post cleaning, rinse the caravan meticulously with clean water, ensuring all product residues are removed."

Oct 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW t4 Clubman GL

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Looks great I have to get someone in nowadays as my wife who is more sensible than me won’t let me go up there, ( shouldn’t have let her watch accident & emergency)
Tom
Then send her up there, problem solved. :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ashy

Ashy

Free Member
Feb 10, 2021
Skegness
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
Since 2012
Might give it a go, a quarter of the price of Fenwicks & I've run out of the Aldi one I normally use.
They say it's eco freindly & biodegradable but a bit worrying when they say this "Rinse Thoroughly: Post cleaning, rinse the caravan meticulously with clean water, ensuring all product residues are removed."
That concerned me too, I did rinse very well. They also talk about using a pressure washer, which I didn’t.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
I clean the roof two to three times a year, I think it’s the Skeggy air. It’s red in colour.
I'm nowhere near Skeggy and cleaned my roof last month and it was a reddy colour but did we not have some Sahara sand blow over a couple of months ago. On the subject of Ceramic coating i used Autoglym rapid ceramic spray on the rest of the van (not the roof) and was very impressed, did a trip down to Brean/ Bridgewater for the carnival and it was still clean when i got back.

OP
OP
Ashy

Ashy

Free Member
Feb 10, 2021
Skegness
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
Since 2012
I'm nowhere near Skeggy and cleaned my roof last month and it was a reddy colour but did we not have some Sahara sand blow over a couple of months ago. On the subject of Ceramic coating i used Autoglym rapid ceramic spray on the rest of the van (not the roof) and was very impressed, did a trip down to Brean/ Bridgewater for the carnival and it was still clean when i got back.
Do you know if that works on GRP?

Dec 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash S2
Exp
Since October 2019
I washed my MH last weekend, and did the roof thoroughly, twice, because we have to park it under a magnolia tree that sheds pollen: it turns black and sticks firmly. Since then (one week so far) I’ve been hobbling around with a very painful back from standing awkwardly on a ladder while scrubbing with a long-handled brush. Cover goes on today (with help from friends), but I must find a way making it all easier, especially cleaning the roof.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
As a Welshman, "Free England delivery" would put me off using them. Normally delivery rates are the same for most of the UK with the exception of the HIghlands and Islands.
Its because the van has to do 20mph, so you have to pay for the courier drivers overnight accomodation down to West Wales :unsure: :giggle:

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash S2
Exp
Since October 2019
You could get a cover for it. Even just a roof cover would help, if you didn't want a full cover :)
That might be the answer - thank you. I'll start hunting. It honestly hadn't occurred to me that there are just roof covers... and if there aren't then it wouldn't be too difficult to make one.

Sep 19, 2023
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Looks like it makes a really good job, I have just ordered some for my van, thanks for the photos
Alan.

Deleted User
Its because the van has to do 20mph, so you have to pay for the courier drivers overnight accomodation down to West Wales :unsure: :giggle:
The company appears to be tucked away in the bottom right hand corner of the UK, so fine for the Home Counties and London, I suppose.
Yes, and I cringe hearing Brits abroad referring to the UK as "England". I have lived in both Wales and Scotland and I'm a staunch unionist (voted "remain" in the Scottish referendum), but this just rankles. Companies can courier to most parts of the UK at the same cost.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
That might be the answer - thank you. I'll start hunting. It honestly hadn't occurred to me that there are just roof covers... and if there aren't then it wouldn't be too difficult to make one.

Here's one example for you. We have a Maypole full cover for ours and can vouch for the quality :)

Amazon product ASIN B08TRK3NV2

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
View attachment 835131View attachment 835132View attachment 835133Just cleaned the roof using Jennychem caravan cleaner, I have to say I am impressed with the results and it was easier then with previous cleaners.
Halfway there using Maguires waterless

20230813_151451.jpg

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
How long does it stay before needing another big effort?
Sprayed mine early in the year (after cleaning) and it is still pretty clean despite all the rain we have had which normally starts turning things green and giving the van as delicate coating of black streaks where the rainwater runs off the roof and from around window frames etc.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Nooooo after all that effort I would ceramic coat it, only takes around 30 mins to apply, you only need rewash roof every 6 months then as rainfall will keep it genera clean, and just runs off every time. It's when the rain sits on the roof that causes what you had there !
There's plenty of thread's of Info on coating . . .

View attachment 835227
Yeah but - Wet&Forget stays active for several months and prevents algae from forming and is probably a bit easier to apply (and cheaper) than ceramic coating and you can use it on a variety of surfaces. Each to their own I guess . . .

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I would be concerned that it might take the wax off the sides of van.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Thats one massive AC unit. Bet it's good for storing dead bodies in there!

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Do people stand on the van roof or just clean it off a ladder

Personally I use a ladder and a long handled cleaning 'mop'.

Interestingly I came across this on the Burstner website this afternoon.

The maximum roof load for Bürstner motorhomes are 90 kg for the entire roof area.
This should only be achieved for a short time, e.g. for corresponding roof work, under no circumstances should this load be permanently present or even exceeded.We also recommend padding the area to be stepped on with a suitable material (blanket, styrofoam, etc.) and placing a wooden or plywood board over it. This avoids pressure points and scratches.The weight should be distributed over the largest possible area.
In winter, the roof should be regularly cleared of snow. Last but not least, when thawing large amounts of snow, a disadvantageous, permanent water pressure is generated on the roof openings, which promotes the development of leaks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back