138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Don't know what the OP is worrying about. If it's a Swift everyone knows that they come with a built in sprinkler system and an umbrella :rolleyes: ..

Lot of messing about to save £20 ..

Wonder why the supplying Dealer is not sorting out the problem or is there some other problem that we don't know anything about. I do love a good thread with plenty of twists and turns.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I already did but all that happened was @Jim removed his 2nd post which then makes my following posts look stupid.:(
Jim didn’t do anything. The post got auto hidden because it was reported numerous times.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lee "Just a Water Leak"TM
Jan 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
Strange Q for a first post. :whistle: Welcome to Fun, Hello :)

@Lee "Just a Water Leak"TM I see you've ran out of free posts. This forum is the best and you will recoup your £15 with information and new friends in no time. Just click the subscribe button. (y)
hi did not know i had run out of post i have just paid thanks

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi to you all thanks for all your reply's This forum is the best way for me to try to get this problem sorted # le not a problem just a water leak'TM
You didn't half lead us all on a merry dance though, what with the change of name, ...............and a new account. :doh:

:HelloThere: and :welcomesign: to FUN. (y)

I hope you find the right resolve to your issues. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Jan 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
hi brian yes the longer it take's it will get worse. they told me i will not have my money back

OP
OP
Jan 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
Hi
Sorry to read of your dreadful experience.
Picking up on a couple of points you have made.
There is a right to reject goods as not fit for purpose, under the sale of goods act. However the law states that this must be done in a reasonable time and suggests 2 to 3 weeks. As you purchased it last September, I don’t think that route is open to you.

You say your batteries are flat. You don’t specify whether it’s the vehicle (cab) battery or the habitation battery.
Both batteries will require monitoring and some form of top up if you are not using the vehicle. Modern cabs have inbuilt systems which have a small drain on the vehicle battery (the alarm can drain mine in 3 weeks) and there may be something in the habitation side, like a wired in co2 or smoke detector or just a plugged in adapter that could cause a tiny drain.
You will need to have some form of replacing these losses out of the batteries and most people use solar panels or keep the MH plugged into the electric mains at home.

I do hope that your dealer does the right thing by you and fixes the leak properly.
Good luck
Hi thank's for your points i have made a few phone call's a letter is in the post.I phoned them 2 weeks later after i bought it they said take it a repair shop by me there is a 6 year warranty on the van. i do have solar panels on the roof but had to cover them or i would have a fish bowl

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015

The first six months
If you discover the fault within the first six months of having the product, it is presumed to have been there since the time you took ownership of it - unless the retailer can prove otherwise.
During this time, it's up to the retailer to prove that the fault wasn't there when you bought it - it's not up to you to prove that it was.
If an attempt at repair or replacement has failed, you have the right to reject the goods for a full refund, or price reduction if you wish to keep the product.
The retailer can't make any deductions from your refund in the first six months following an unsuccessful attempt at repair or replacement.
The only exception to this rule is motor vehicles, where the retailer may make a reasonable reduction for the use you've already had of the vehicle after the first 30 days.
If you'd prefer to keep the goods in question, you can request an appropriate price reduction.

It is up to the Business who sold you the vehicle to fix it. Not for you to run round trying to get it fixed under some sort of 6 year guarantee.

Wonder if the Solar Panels have been screwed to the roof which is what is causing the problem. Some manufacturers do not bond the top covering on so it can move with heat. Screwing fixings through it is not a good idea and can lead to leaks.

If you have Home Insurance with Legal Protection you should contact them. If not Citizens Advice and quote the number on any correspondence with the Dealer. All communications should be kept and phone calls recorded. You have to tell them at the start of the call you are recording it. You should also keep a diary of what is happening even down to sending emails. Make backups of emails so you don't accidentally loose them.

I know its a pain in the neck but if it goes to Court then you have to be able to prove what you said and to who you said it and when you sent emails and what their reply was if any.

It really sounds like they are giving you the run around

Hi date the van was reg 24/03/2017 i pick it up on the 31/8/2018

Hope the Annual Water Ingress Check is up to date and you have the paperwork to prove it was done or a sticker somewhere. If not the manufacturer may not want to know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jan 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
@QFour they said the service and the habitat checks had all been done before i bought it but they didnt give me any paper work regarding yet another issue

OP
OP
Jan 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
What make is your motorhome. Nearly all converters offer a 5 to 10 year leak warranty, so you could try going direct to them. its a bailey . motorhome daeler said it came with 5 years warranty but they didnt sign it over to us as new owners and when they did bailey rejected it ! they wont tell us why they said its not an issue ?

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
:welcomesign:to the forum but what an awful way to begin.
I hope the situation improves for you (n)
If you were to state exactly what make/model you have purchased people may be able to offer specific advice.
Best of luck.
Okay just read that it is a Bailey (y)

OP
OP
Jan 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
:welcomesign:to the forum but what an awful way to begin.
I hope the situation improves for you (n)
If you were to state exactly what make/model you have purchased people may be able to offer specific advice.
Best of luck.
hiya yes what a way to join ! its a bailey autograph

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You could proceed the way I did with a Swift. The Dealer had a go at repairing it but what they did was rubbish so I repaired it myself and kept a note of time spent and parts used. I had the seating recovered as well because the material was not colour fast and showed every drop of water as a blue ring. I then sent the Dealer a bill for the work and asked them to pay up or I would see them in Court. They tried to get the money from Swift who refused and the Dealer refused to pay. So I took them to Small Claims Court. The amount was substantial and I was prepared for a fight but they gave in a couple of days before the case went to Court and paid up in full. I also got the Court fees out of them because they had left it so long.

You can pursue a Business through the Courts but you need to know how much you are claiming. So you could get it fixed and then send them the bill. You will have to tell them what you are going to do and give them time to respond. You can also tell them that if they don't pay then you will use the Small Claims Court to get your money back. All this should be done in writing. Certainly get Citizens Advice involved and get a case number which should be quoted on all correspondence. Ie. CITIZENS ADVICE CASE NUMBER ABC1234567

There is certainly something fishy going on here and I do wonder why Bailey are not interested in sorting it out.

The logical answer would be that Bailey have already paid for the work to be done and it's not been done correctly which is why it is still leaking. Bailey are not going to pay again for the same fault to be fixed. Swift do exactly the same. If a fault is claimed for and not repaired correctly then you have to chase the Dealer to get it done properly as Swift don't want to know.

OP
OP
Jan 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
You could proceed the way I did with a Swift. The Dealer had a go at repairing it but what they did was rubbish so I repaired it myself and kept a note of time spent and parts used. I had the seating recovered as well because the material was not colour fast and showed every drop of water as a blue ring. I then sent the Dealer a bill for the work and asked them to pay up or I would see them in Court. They tried to get the money from Swift who refused and the Dealer refused to pay. So I took them to Small Claims Court. The amount was substantial and I was prepared for a fight but they gave in a couple of days before the case went to Court and paid up in full. I also got the Court fees out of them because they had left it so long.

You can pursue a Business through the Courts but you need to know how much you are claiming. So you could get it fixed and then send them the bill. You will have to tell them what you are going to do and give them time to respond. You can also tell them that if they don't pay then you will use the Small Claims Court to get your money back. All this should be done in writing. Certainly get Citizens Advice involved and get a case number which should be quoted on all correspondence. Ie. CITIZENS ADVICE CASE NUMBER ABC1234567

There is certainly something fishy going on here and I do wonder why Bailey are not interested in sorting it out.

The logical answer would be that Bailey have already paid for the work to be done and it's not been done correctly which is why it is still leaking. Bailey are not going to pay again for the same fault to be fixed. Swift do exactly the same. If a fault is claimed for and not repaired correctly then you have to chase the Dealer to get it done properly as Swift don't want to know.
im currently at another dealer getting a price for the work and i will be forwarding them the bill i spoke with citizens advice yesterday see what results i get from today will keep you informed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back