Juicy Brucie - cable to use EV charging points as EHU for motorhomes?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
You think they'd be ok with you camping in their car park? At their EV points?

Why not, Tesla’s do😂 and if you’re not hogging the spot and you are paying for the leccy then i don’t see the issue.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you want to fill your hab batteries with a relatively short stop, you need a very fast mains charger. Most of us only have 30 amps or so. Which will quite happily fill a large bank of lithium overnight. But that's hogging a charger for a very long time.
I have a 120 amp charger that still only gives me 30ah into the batteries in 15 min.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Why not, Tesla’s do😂 and if you’re not hogging the spot and you are paying for the leccy then i don’t see the issue.
If it's a 22kW charger and you're using 0.5kW (40 amp charger). And you're probably only going to buy 4kWh (~300Ah) of juice while sitting there for 8 hours.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Is there limits on charging at these points…?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There's literally thousands of these smaller Type2 chargers around. Most Lidls have a couple, so do most Morrisons and Tescos, and there's hundreds of others outside hotels and other car parks. Even a lot of lampposts in London have them. When you drive past them, they are mostly not in use. Yes, it's possible to find a busy site, and block an EV wanting to use it. But in all the time I've been doing this, it's never happened.

I know how fast I am using battery charge, how long it will last, and when I need to refill. I can choose a time and a place that's OK. If I'm on a motorway, I'm driving anyway and the B2B is charging the battery. When I need an EV charger it's when I'm staying in one area for a few days, so I can look around (using 'find-an-EV-charger' type apps) and choose a vacant charger.

My charger is equivalent to 140A at 12V, ie 1680W. In 1 hour it will put in 1680Wh, ie 1.7kWh. It will fill my batteries from flat in 4 hours max. So if not too flat a couple of hours is enough. If you're thinking of doing this, it's a good idea to get a fast charger to charge your batteries as fast as possible. Not normally top of the priority list when buying a charger to charge from campsite EHU.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back