Jim’s 10 Star Campsite Shower Award System (1 Viewer)

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
Natterersee near Innsbruck has all the items on the list plus underfloor heating. The ones on the site at El Puerto de Santa Maria are good, sometimes difficult to get into as the cleaning ladies seem to work non-stop keeping everything clean!

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
The best shower we had on our recent two-month trip through France, Spain and Morocco was at a motorway services near Zaragoza in Spain:

Pàrquing Estación de Servicio La Joyosa​

We paid €3.50 for both of us to access a small room with a toilet, washbasin and walk in shower. It was a proper shower and you could stay in as long as you liked. Also, there was a bench to sit on.
  1. Hot water — tick, unlimited
  2. Good water pressure — tick
  3. No stupid button to push — tick
  4. Clean floor — tick
  5. No disgusting clingy shower curtain — tick
  6. Hook for towel — tick (and situated where it didn't get wet)
  7. Second hook for clothes — tick
  8. No next door pee n shower water entering your space — tick
  9. No bird shit — tick
  10. Fixed Soap dish — hmmm, can't remember

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
When is the site name changing from motorhomefun.co.uk to campingfun.co.uk. Why would you choose to go out in the freezing cold and pouring rain holding a towel and wash bag to trudge to any shower block to join the great unwashed. I thought the whole point of a motorhome was to avoid camping🤷

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Why would you choose to go out in the freezing cold and pouring rain holding a towel and wash bag to trudge to any shower block to join the great unwashed.

My last stroll to a shower block a few hours ago, it was 27 degrees, I’ve never carried a wash bag, one bar of soap in a pocket does me. :giggle:

Those in the shower aren’t the great unwashed, that’s you festering in your van, too shy to show an ankle.;) And wondering about how you’re emptying all that grey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 14, 2018
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato compass drift
Exp
I award a star for each of the following. It’s rare to find a 10 Star shower.

1. Hot water
  2. Good water pressure
  3. No stupid button to push
  4. Clean floor
  5. No disgusting clingy shower curtain
  6. Hook for towel
  7. Second hook for clothes
  8. No next door pee n shower water entering your space
  9. No bird shit
  10. Fixed Soap dish
The new shower block in Villasol. 10 stars.
11- Adjustable shower head not fixed would be my addition to this. Being tall, makes it so much difference to the shower experience 👍

Reactions: Jim
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I thought the whole point of a motorhome was to avoid camping🤷

People in expensive Motorhome’s on campsites who think they’re not campers :LOL:

1712504559296.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
My last stroll to a shower block a few hours ago, it was 27 degrees, I’ve never carried a wash bag, one bar of soap in a pocket does me. :giggle:

Those in the shower aren’t the great unwashed, that’s you festering in your van, too shy to show an ankle.;) And wondering about how you’re emptying all that grey.
If you could guarantee 27deg and no rain in the UK then I may yet be convinced... Otherwise the more usual trudge back to the van in the pouring rain means you're as mucky as when you started

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Amazing how few have more than one hook for clothes and a towel… it’s like site owners have never been camping or used a campsite shower
I have an S hook in my wash kit specifically for this reason!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Now if you went back to an RV instead of you tiny PVC you would be singing a different tune. 🤣

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The best shower block I have come across is Camping Playa Montroig near Tarragona.

They are really nice

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
When is the site name changing from motorhomefun.co.uk to campingfun.co.uk. Why would you choose to go out in the freezing cold and pouring rain holding a towel and wash bag to trudge to any shower block to join the great unwashed. I thought the whole point of a motorhome was to avoid camping🤷
Surely being away in a Motorhome is camping? You can make life easier for yourself by paying for a super pitch with plumbed in fresh and grey waste or you can choose between site shower or regular trips to fill with fresh and empty grey over a grate, regardless you are camping, hotels are the way to go if you want to avoid camping

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Surely being away in a Motorhome is camping? You can make life easier for yourself by paying for a super pitch with plumbed in fresh and grey waste or you can choose between site shower or regular trips to fill with fresh and empty grey over a grate, regardless you are camping, hotels are the way to go if you want to avoid camping

I regard our MH as a second home, which is a movable country cottage and while, like many country cottages the facilities do not quite replicate one's main home, they are all there on board..

[Fill and empty, we do at any nightstop or when passing a service point. ]

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I do get amused by the self righteous motorhomers out there who insist they will not use site facilities.:giggle:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
If you could guarantee 27deg and no rain in the UK then I may yet be convinced... Otherwise the more usual trudge back to the van in the pouring rain means you're as mucky as when you started
Please advise which sites have mucky rain so I can avoid them please? Only time I have ever come across dirty rain is when the Sahara dust went up in teh atmosphere. blown here and came down with the rain. Even then the sand had been washed on the way down!

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
I do get amused by the self righteous motorhomers out there who insist they will not use site facilities.:giggle:

Me too. It comes up anytime there’s mention of using campsite facilities. “Why would I use those poxy things when I have a luxury shower in my own van?”

The answer, clearly, is that not all of us have massive vans, or massive showers, and prefer to sometimes use a campsite shower with more room and better water pressure. These people might as well reply “Look at me, I have a massive expensive A class van, and sucks to you people who don’t.”

And just in case anyone thinks this is sour grapes, it’s not. We are in the lucky position of being able to afford any van we want, but we choose a PVC so that we can go on narrow roads to camping adventures. We can manage with our own shower when we’re off grid, but on campsites we usually choose not to.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Please advise which sites have mucky rain so I can avoid them please? Only time I have ever come across dirty rain is when the Sahara dust went up in teh atmosphere. blown here and came down with the rain. Even then the sand had been washed on the way down!
All rain is mucky. This invariably turns the site access road into a quagmire which makes your muddy flip flops or crocs another problem in the van ..

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Why is it 'self-righteous' to say one prefers one own facilities?

See Verteuil Man's post #79 below where he extols the virtue of that campsite, but in his written introduction in the post says he does not use the showers etc. Does he sound self-righteous?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Personally I struggle with most shower blocks on sites. totally different if there is a dedicated disabled room. Those invariably have everything on that list. Otherwise the equipment in my van makes a good shower easy

Aug 12, 2012
SOUTH LAKES
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Iclass 740
Exp
since 2010
Although we love rallying and using aires where we use our shower. We would never use our shower when there is one on site. Someone once said to me that running water and motorhomes aren't good bed fellows and that sounds sensible to me, so we keep it to a minimum. After all, we've all read the harrowing tales of damp caused by leaky shower cubicles and the likes, so why take an unnecessary chance?

May 30, 2017
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 694
Exp
Motorhoming since 2017
When you are on a site you are paying for the facilities, usually through the nose these days, so why not use them? Next people will be calling for sites to charge separately for access to the facilities block, in the same way some people don't want to pay for hook up.

Also, having spent much of my younger years showering in communal open shower rooms after paying sports etc, or bathing in those old rugby club communal baths, I have no problem with the idea of someone else naked in the next cubicle. Hell, more than likely it's me who would now be the 'scarier' naked body of the two.

The shower in the van is for occasions when we aren't on site, as is the loo. Why have the hassle of filling and dumping when you have an alternative.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
As I maybe derailed this thread, sorry, here are my criteria, in order

1. Hot water, with easy to adjust controls & steady temperature
  2. Good water pressure
  3. Included in campsite cost, so not stupid coins or tokens to find, or to run out just when you’ve lathered up your long hair with shampoo.
  4. No stupid button to push
  5. Shelves in shower for paraphernalia (brush, soap, shampoo, conditioner, nail brush etc)
  6. At least two hooks
  7. Plenty of room to move
  8. Partition between shower and changing area, so that the latter stays dry. Hence no disgusting clingy curtain.
  9. Sparklingly clean
  10. Good lighting
  11. Adjustable shower head
My shower at home meets all 11. Denby only 7, notably missing water pressure and room to move.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Another vote for Bonterra park, we spent 3 nights there on our was home. It was lovely.
We do use our shower in our PVC a lot but it’s a trigger head so it’s a functional quick wet alover as little soap as you can get away with, rinse off .

We use onsite facilities if they’re there as we don’t have to fill tank, empty it, fur up the boiler(very hard water at home) . Prefer my own toilet though, not interested in how that works. I do everything else :giggle:

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The bottom line Jim is a camp site is rated on a number of things over which the owner has little control such as the location, the nearness of local beaches/museums/transportation/shops/restaurants etc depending on what the punters are after.

However the one thing that differentiates one site against any other is the quality of the facilities.

Like many of us on this forum, we have spent years of our lives, starting when my age was measured in months, on campsites, not just in the UK, or even just in Europe, but all over the world (I've not camped in Antarctica, but I've camped on every other continent).

Even this year I've camped (in a tent, for a week) on a 'greenfield' site (not even water), to some wonderful sites in Portugal complete with pool, restaurant, and loos better than home.

Therefore for me, if I was refurbing a shower block, the MINIMUM I would be looking at is the heated floor and individual 'shower rooms' with all the facilities of home.
If you don't fit underfloor heating now, in 5 years time you will regret it.
(You can decide how and when you use it, but in the winter it makes all the difference)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As I maybe derailed this thread, sorry, here are my criteria, in order

1. Hot water, with easy to adjust controls & steady temperature
  2. Good water pressure
  3. Included in campsite cost, so not stupid coins or tokens to find, or to run out just when you’ve lathered up your long hair with shampoo.
  4. No stupid button to push
  5. Shelves in shower for paraphernalia (brush, soap, shampoo, conditioner, nail brush etc)
  6. At least two hooks
  7. Plenty of room to move
  8. Partition between shower and changing area, so that the latter stays dry. Hence no disgusting clingy curtain.
  9. Sparklingly clean
  10. Good lighting
  11. Adjustable shower head
My shower at home meets all 11. Denby only 7, notably missing water pressure and room to move.
Sounds like a Motorhome shower, that's what ours is like 🤣

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back