Jim’s 10 Star Campsite Shower Award System (1 Viewer)

Aug 12, 2012
SOUTH LAKES
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Iclass 740
Exp
since 2010
On your 10 points Jim, I would award Camping El Raco, block 2 (being refurbed as I write this) a total of 8 points. The floor is probably clean but it's old and there's no fixed soap dish. Other than that, a cracking shower. Good enough that I never ventured to the other newly refurbed blocks.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
At Carnon Down it doesn't matter as all are private cubicles. Although on one occasion I went into a cubicle just vacated by a lady and exited again rapidly as I couldn't breathe with the hairspray and heaven knows what else she used. Had to use my blue inhaler! The fan couldn't cope which is strange because I have never had the smell of the previous occupant using the toilet!

Sounds like the 'men's' changing room at the gym.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
When we were new to our first MH I use to go to the shower block as our first MH shower was used for storage!! when we were in Germany in our current Frankie, I went over to the shower block. There were 12 shower cubicles, as I was showering someone came in and used the shower right next to me for some reason, that was me gone. I just stopped and walked back to the van, wet through in my full length towelling hoody. I just thought it was weird, why would you want to shower next to someone else🤷‍♀️
Having gone to a boarding school and then played sports and been involved in Scouting for decades as well as spending several years of my life on campsites,
it would never occur to me that having the shower next to you, in use, was 'weird'.

It happens all the time, I probably use public showers over 50 times a year, every year.

What I do find slightly unusual are the communal open showers, where people, all ages and sexes just strip off, shower and then get dressed.
(Seen in Germany, Switzerland and Norway)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just like your own bathroom at home.
Which is how any decent camping site shower 'should' be

(See the photos of the shower block at Camping Otztal in post #17)
But it's your own poo smell at home.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Having enjoyed plenty of wild Wild Camping when young, I grew up up on bathing and washing in Tarns. Lakes and Rivers.

One memorable occasion in Spain where a strong Summer thunderstorm would be an occasion to strip off and have a good wash down, just hoping that it lasted long enough to get a strong lather going and rinse off!

Once when doing this in an old village square the landlady of the Bar came out and dragged us all naked into the Bar, threw all our clothes in her washing machine and made us shower 'properly' in her shower. All the time shouting and screaming madly at us!

We eventually foumd out that she lost it because she believed that all our naked antics outside would attract the thunderstorm and especially the lightening and that would destroy her Bar!

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
When we were new to our first MH I use to go to the shower block as our first MH shower was used for storage!! when we were in Germany in our current Frankie, I went over to the shower block. There were 12 shower cubicles, as I was showering someone came in and used the shower right next to me for some reason, that was me gone. I just stopped and walked back to the van, wet through in my full length towelling hoody. I just thought it was weird, why would you want to shower next to someone else🤷‍♀️

I agree. I also find it weird when people do they same thing in toilet cubicles. Very odd :unsure:

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I well remember the communal baths that some older rugby clubs had, not the most hygienic place really, having a bath with 14 other muddy blokes. :giggle:

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
I appreciate this isn’t answering Jims question but I’m curious as to why folk buy motorhomes with showers and then never use them or choose to use site showers when available.

Mar 7, 2022
Alderney
Funster No
MH
Just looking
The new shower block at the CMHC at Morn Hill near Winchester is top notch. Or if you’re feeling flush/won the lottery, the Concierge Camp site is, to me, gold standard. I honestly could have just slept in it 😂😎
Ditto to that, stayed at Morn Hill Friday night, immaculate 😊

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Best campsite shower is the outdoor one at Shieldaig. Private, space for all your stuff, and hotter water than the indoor ones - and you can take your dog in with you (though they do have a dog-wash area as well). Easily meets the 10⭐ rating.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I appreciate this isn’t answering Jims question but I’m curious as to why folk buy motorhomes with showers and then never use them or choose to use site showers when available.

I have an excellent shower in my van and we use it a lot, most of our van use is in fields so we have to. However if there is a decent on site shower I will use it, it means I’m not having to refill my van with water and then empty the grey; not furring up my water heater more than it already is, I can use 20 gallons and not 6 And, most Important, when I use the campsite shower I’m not chased afterwards by some clean-freak maniac to meticulously clean up the shower cubicle and dry the tray, leaving it 'show van' new!

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
Having gone to a boarding school and then played sports and been involved in Scouting for decades as well as spending several years of my life on campsites,
it would never occur to me that having the shower next to you, in use, was 'weird'.

It happens all the time, I probably use public showers over 50 times a year, every year.

What I do find slightly unusual are the communal open showers, where people, all ages and sexes just strip off, shower and then get dressed.
(Seen in Germany, Switzerland and Norway)
When in Rome:happy:

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Carnon Downs is still as you remember, we were there last week. Two other sites that I know have self contained toilet / sink / shower rooms are Eye Kettleby near Melton Mowbray and Compton Park near Callington, both of which have good bars / restaurants too.

Tristan campsite in Polzeath is in a cracking location, but the showers are on a 10 minute timer and the control button is outside the shower on the wall near the door.

The shower in our van is very small, and it is more convenient to use site showers when they are good, saves a lot of carrying fresh water to fill the tank, then either moving the van or carrying grey water away. We did use it on the drive at home for a few days though when our shower indoors was being replaced.

Feb 6, 2023
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
3 Cliffs Bay on the Gower. Underfloor heating as well as a bonus.

Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria
Concierge Camping in West Sussex is, by far the best site I know. Expensive but well worth it

I use mine as a full length wardrobe.
While I try not to bring wet coats into the MH, if needs must they can drip in the shower tray

Nov 12, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro675
Exp
Just started
11. Big enough that you can get un/dressed without having to step into the shower or bang the walls
12. Water that actually drains away leaving the floor dry
13. Heated floor (essential in northern climes!)
14. Squeegee provided (already in every German shower)
15. Free! No coins, jetons or time limits!
16. Somewhere to sit to get shoes on/off
17. Shower head you can move, not fixed so you have to dance around and find the drops (and it's always aimed at your clothing!)
18. Steady temperature, nothing worse than it suddenly going cold or scalding hot mid-shower.
19. Shelf for glasses, watches, wallet and other stuff
20. Dressing area floor to be different to shower floor (duckboards or small step)

And I could think of a few more. A mirror, at least 5 hooks, draught free, decent light that does not go off half way through your shower, .....
Basically, a quality shower room like you would get in any decent house or hotel.
You’re meant to be camping, not at a 5-star spa

Nov 12, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro675
Exp
Just started
I award a star for each of the following. It’s rare to find a 10 Star shower.

1. Hot water
  2. Good water pressure
  3. No stupid button to push
  4. Clean floor
  5. No disgusting clingy shower curtain
  6. Hook for towel
  7. Second hook for clothes
  8. No next door pee n shower water entering your space
  9. No bird shit
  10. Fixed Soap dish
The new shower block in Villasol. 10 stars.
Amazing how few have more than one hook for clothes and a towel… it’s like site owners have never been camping or used a campsite shower

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back