LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
As we headed off to town just before six, it was still raining. We want our money back! We can (and do) get this kind of weather anytime at home.

IMG_9966.jpeg

We were aware that an early lunch and Spanish dining hours are not the best match, so we started the evening off with a look round the Colegiata de Santa Juliana. The cloisters were lovely, particularly the different carvings around each column.

IMG_9968.jpeg

The chapel was, um, quite Catholic.

IMG_0550.jpeg

Saint Juliana is quite the lady. She dedicated herself to Jesus, but then her father promised her in marriage to someone. When she refused, the man who’d hoped to marry her, “his love having turned to hate, ordered Juliana's body to be torn to pieces with such strong lashes that the strength of six executioners was exhausted. Then he ordered her to be suspended by her hair, leaving her face entirely disfigured. He had molten tin distilled over her naked body, and at the same time she was burned with flaming axes; then he sent her to the dungeon.”

Note that last phrase, “then he sent her to the dungeon.” I think a swift burial would be more likely after six lashings, molten tin and some flaming axes for good measure. Luckily, after that she was beheaded, along with 130 followers, so became a saint.

There was also a display of episcopal robes. Reminded me that I need new cushions for our sofas.

IMG_9980.jpeg

When we came out, it was still raining. It’s a shame, because Santillana is a very beautiful town - even in the rain.

IMG_0554.jpeg

It’s just that we’d have had more fun exploring in the sunshine.

With our early tapas lunch, we had to choose somewhere that was open before 8pm and serving more than tapas. The place we ended up at had a three course menu for €19, and the food was good, but just a bit too big for me.

My highlight was my squid rice - this is a starter! I followed it with fabada and a decaff espresso.

IMG_0556.jpeg

Rog had a local pork and bean mountain stew to start, and then pork and chips and a flan (not pork) for pudding.

IMG_9985.jpeg

As we walked home, it was still raining.

As I type this, it is still raining.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
I don’t eat breakfast, so generally have a pretty early lunch, so eating at 9pm would be a bit of a stretch. Peavy - do most people eat so late on normal working days?
Our experience previously is that most places don’t even open before 8, and further south sometimes later. At a town near Cadiz I recall walking into town at 9 and being fed up everywhere was closed, then by 10 everywhere was full! Peavy is better placed I expect. We ended up often going for menu de dia at between 2 and 3 as our main meal 😂

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our experience previously is that most places don’t even open before 8, and further south sometimes later. At a town near Cadiz I recall walking into town at 9 and being fed up everywhere was closed, then by 10 everywhere was full! Peavy is better placed I expect. We ended up often going for menu de dia at between 2 and 3 as our main meal 😂
Always found it's in the north they don't open until 9 down on the southern coast they are often open from 12 through to 11pm probably in the more touristy areas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
I love Spain, but I don’t think our meal times align. I can do a main meal at late lunchtime occasionally (Christmas Day, the odd summer barbecue) but generally I prefer to walk and see stuff in the day time, and eat in the evening. More 7pm than 9pm though.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
I love Spain, but I don’t think our meal times align. I can do a main meal at late lunchtime occasionally (Christmas Day, the odd summer barbecue) but generally I prefer to walk and see stuff in the day time, and eat in the evening. More 7pm than 9pm though.
You’ll get into the swing of it, we did especially when it is hot. Think you’ll find Portugal will probably work for you though.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Never use Google translate for official signs. Never ask a lawyer for advice. The rules for tonight’s stop could be phrased rather more succinctly.

View attachment 959437
“Park at your own risk”
What is it with Duolingo? Nearly two years of Spanish bajo mi cinturon and Duolingo doesn’t touch useful stuff like this :)

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
do most people eat so late on normal working days?
Yes, we've been always kind of later than most European countries, right? but I believe things are changing a bit here now. We two are kind of earlier than the typical shifts here. We prefer lunchtime around 13h and dinner at 20h and we're seeing earlier reservations in the restaurants, specially at dinner time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back