Jane & Rog’s Eastwards Coddiwomple (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
Oh no, I hope ours is OK, it’s Vetbancid, which looks to have the usual praziquantel in it.
Thanks for that. If it's got praziquantel in it I reckon it'll be fine. I think I'll contact our usual vet in France and see if they will get some in for us next time we travel, I'll happily cover the cost up front if needs be. Hope you have a good run home tomorrow.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
First stop, first Dutch supermarket. It was only a small one AND STILL DIDN’T HAVE LAMB. We were even disappointed by the fish section.

View attachment 929176
35% of animal doctors recommend it

Rog was not disappointed at all by the above, and asked the supermarket assistant for directions to it, immediately.

Sadly for him, she explained it was just Dutch for cream.

Today’s sightseeing was the lovely port town of Veere in Zeeland. It was very polishy indeed, rather like an up-market version of Henley-on-Thames. A lovely place to moor a boat.

View attachment 929177

The town owes its prosperity to its role as a port for the import of wool from Scotland in the sixteenth century. There’s even a museum in two former Scottish merchants’ houses.

View attachment 929178
Och aye, the stroopwaffel

Being dog-enabled, we settled first from some stick throwing and then an expensive drink on the front row of the harbour, to watch the various water craft come and go. Perhaps there would be a repeat performance of yesterday’s boating fracas?

View attachment 929179

But our expectation of schadenfreude was in vain, as the people mooring their very shiny ships were, as you’d expect, rather good at it.

We swerved an expensive lunch and had a bun full of eel each from a kiosk on the quay.

View attachment 929180

View attachment 929183

I also tried looking at a few lady-shops, but it doesn’t go well with a husband and large dog in tow. I did try persuading Rog at this one…

View attachment 929184

Then it was off and south through the Westerscheldet Tunnel (6.6km) and not long after, into Belgium. At least the Cloggies didn’t sting us for the tunnel the way those Danes did. It was a mere €7.45 rather than a hundred of your good English pounds.

Our site for the night is just over the border, Camperplaats De Riethoeve, which is a nice little farm site for €10 all in, with views of fields all around.

View attachment 929185

We played our final game of Five Tribes this holiday. It may not be a coincidence that we realised we’d made a fundamental rules error, and that I won decisively.

Dinner was crispy lamb with spicy beans and tzatziki - a recipe I’ve made at home a few times, except this time (see earlier), it was crispy pork. Still good.

View attachment 929186

Tomorrow it’s a short hop to Calais where the campsite and final dinner are booked. Sad face / happy face.

Coddiwompling score : surprisingly high as both touristing and site were decided today.

Calais, campsite and final dinner - I would have recommended Dunkirk (less hassle) - Dover. Bergues Aire, short walk into your sort of walled town, good restaurants and delicatessen.

Next time maybe.

Safe crossing.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Calais, campsite and final dinner - I would have recommended Dunkirk (less hassle) - Dover. Bergues Aire, short walk into your sort of walled town, good restaurants and delicatessen.

Next time maybe.

Safe crossing.
We’re going to Aquar'Aile in memory of my Dad who died last year, and who really loved it.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
First stop, first Dutch supermarket. It was only a small one AND STILL DIDN’T HAVE LAMB. We were even disappointed by the fish section.

View attachment 929176
35% of animal doctors recommend it

Rog was not disappointed at all by the above, and asked the supermarket assistant for directions to it, immediately.

Sadly for him, she explained it was just Dutch for cream.

Today’s sightseeing was the lovely port town of Veere in Zeeland. It was very polishy indeed, rather like an up-market version of Henley-on-Thames. A lovely place to moor a boat.

View attachment 929177

The town owes its prosperity to its role as a port for the import of wool from Scotland in the sixteenth century. There’s even a museum in two former Scottish merchants’ houses.

View attachment 929178
Och aye, the stroopwaffel

Being dog-enabled, we settled first from some stick throwing and then an expensive drink on the front row of the harbour, to watch the various water craft come and go. Perhaps there would be a repeat performance of yesterday’s boating fracas?

View attachment 929179

But our expectation of schadenfreude was in vain, as the people mooring their very shiny ships were, as you’d expect, rather good at it.

We swerved an expensive lunch and had a bun full of eel each from a kiosk on the quay.

View attachment 929180

View attachment 929183

I also tried looking at a few lady-shops, but it doesn’t go well with a husband and large dog in tow. I did try persuading Rog at this one…

View attachment 929184

Then it was off and south through the Westerscheldet Tunnel (6.6km) and not long after, into Belgium. At least the Cloggies didn’t sting us for the tunnel the way those Danes did. It was a mere €7.45 rather than a hundred of your good English pounds.

Our site for the night is just over the border, Camperplaats De Riethoeve, which is a nice little farm site for €10 all in, with views of fields all around.

View attachment 929185

We played our final game of Five Tribes this holiday. It may not be a coincidence that we realised we’d made a fundamental rules error, and that I won decisively.

Dinner was crispy lamb with spicy beans and tzatziki - a recipe I’ve made at home a few times, except this time (see earlier), it was crispy pork. Still good.

View attachment 929186

Tomorrow it’s a short hop to Calais where the campsite and final dinner are booked. Sad face / happy face.

Coddiwompling score : surprisingly high as both touristing and site were decided today.
Fabulous little village Veere👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years

Next time maybe.

Safe crossing.
Oh, and we use the tunnel, much easier with the dog, and changing the crossing dates is really easy in the app. It’s also just 20 minutes from home (Folkestone that is, not Calais).

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Yeah, would like to go back in lower season, stay the night and see it a little bit less stuffed with people.
Same with Giethoorn , although even in the holidays like now it will only be busy in the centre, the waterways and the lakes surrounding Giethoorn are extensive so if you hire a boat for 4 hours you can find plenty of quiet places👍

May 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
On the lookout
Exp
On and off since 2006
Thanks for taking us along. Really enjoyable and so
funny at times.

Look forward to the next trip.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Same with Giethoorn , although even in the holidays like now it will only be busy in the centre, the waterways and the lakes surrounding Giethoorn are extensive so if you hire a boat for 4 hours you can find plenty of quiet places👍
Yes, we definitely enjoyed the Netherlands more than we expected, and usually travel out of season so were aware we would enjoy everywhere more another time. Still a country that was a surprise hit for me.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Anti Coddiwompling day -1: Our way

And now, the end is near
And so we face the final ferry
My friend, we’ll say it clear
We’ll state our case, of which we’re certain
We’ve codiwompled oh so full
We traveled each and every highway
And more, much more than this
We codiwompled our way

We’re parked up at the Calais camping municipal, waiting for the 9.30 Euro Shuttle back to Hamstreet via Folkestone. We’ll be just in time for a heatwave which is nice.

We visited: France, Germany, Poland, Czechia, Slovakia, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Sweden, Denmark, Holland and Belgium. That’s three new countries for us and nine for young Flynnbar.

Jane has a portable printer and she prints a few photos to stick on the place where Adria imagine you’d put a TV in Denby.

IMG_9259.jpeg

Paid.

That indicates Jane’s pick of the trip was:
  • The Dictaphone Joke (I would guess this was probably the high point for you too dear reader)
  • Surprisingly: Breaking her ankle!
  • Colditz
  • Sedlec Ossuary
  • The Portmoneum gallery
  • Spiš Castle
  • Vikolínec village
  • Me walking in Bieszczady national park, Poland
  • The Hill of Crosses
  • The Kemeni Bog walk in Latvia (also featured in the Times today as one of 17 places You! Must! Visit!)
  • Camping at Kôguste Marina in Estonia.
There’s no picture but, I’d add the Dodakalitten standing stones too; especially if you could visit out of season.

IMG_9136.jpeg

The author.

The Anish Kapoor exhibition was happenstance but captivated us. I loved it.

IMG_9083.jpeg

Not Anish Kapoor.

The people of Slovakia and to a lesser extent of eastern Poland were genuinely happy that we were visiting their country. It’s always nice to visit somewhere that is especially welcoming, proud of their country and not even a little weary of tourists. The Baltic states were similar but do suffer from cruise ships and, in the cities, hen parties.

IMG_8959.jpeg

cluck cluck cluck.

Everywhere we’ve been eastish of Germany has a fairly low population density. Even Denmark, which initially felt crowded, doesn’t get close to England’s (or even the UK’s) population density. Driving around Düsseldorf and then today through the ports of northern France was the only times we encountered a traffic jam. Every country we’ve been to east of Denmark had loads of access to wilderness and great beaches (except the landlocked ones obviously). The general availability of good walking in Slovakia and particularly Czechia was amazing - sadly the Weber-A meant we couldn’t use it.

IMG_8249.jpeg

Happy now?

Other than the traditional Denby haunting we suffer from on these trips there haven’t been any real bad bits or disappointments. Even then, the broken awning and taps aren’t that bad, just grist of the mill. The food in Eastern Europe can get a little monotonous - I’m certainly glad we’re not vegetarian - but, after two years in Ukraine we’re used to hammered pork three times a day.

IMG_0066.jpeg

Not actual size.

We’ve just had our final dinner for this trip. It was at Aquar'Aile a fish restaurant in a rather unlikely position on to of a block of flats in Calais. We’ve been there a few times since it was a favourite of Jane’s dad Alan. Alan died late last year and was always on Jane’s mind though our last two trips as he became ill. His favourite lobster soup has been deleted from the menu and the prices have gone up since we were last there but it was a nice ending and memory of the man who inspired us to get a campervan.

IMG_9271.jpeg

You can see Kent from up here.

Codiwompling score: I think in hindsight, over planning isn’t a problem - or not ours certainly. The focus on codiwompling made us live day to day and encouraged us to move on more. As a result, we’ve driven 5327km in 150 hours of driving. What we actually need to do is slow down.

Ankle report: Ready for Slovakia 2025

Last edited:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Absolutely loved your thread. Thank you very much. Star standout pic for me was Flynn in that puddle of mud…if my Millie did that Martin would be rehoming her in a heart beat 😂😂

You’ve gone for places we would never think to try, eaten food we wouldn’t touch and kept us informed and entertained along the way….loved it…until the next time.

Oct 23, 2022
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2020
Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences - the good, the bad and the ugly 😊. I love planning, but you’ve made me realise that sometimes it’s more enjoyable to just wing it. Can’t wait for your next trip!

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences - the good, the bad and the ugly 😊. I love planning, but you’ve made me realise that sometimes it’s more enjoyable to just wing it. Can’t wait for your next trip!
I think next time we might plan it to the millimetre and see which we prefer. Or, hopefully, arrive at a better compromise. It’s a learning game, these longer trips - any three weeks away from work is fantastic, whatever happens, but learning to maximise your fun without burning out is harder when the trips are longer. I know, I bet the hearts of those of you still working bleed for us :smirk:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Such a wonderful trip - thanks so much for taking us all with you.

I think for me the sheer amount of eating out was amazing and gave me the chance to see food i’d never pick myself!

I think you need a medal to travel that far in your van with Flynn - however gorgeous he is!

You’ve shown us so many different places we would never think to visit - and we’ve loved every mile.

Now get home, park up, and put the kettle on before you tackle all the crap post that’s landed through your letter box!

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
L
Yes, we definitely enjoyed the Netherlands more than we expected, and usually travel out of season so were aware we would enjoy everywhere more another time. Still a country that was a surprise hit for me.
That’s worth knowing, I travel there for my research sometimes but only to Amsterdam otherwise it’s a place we pass through. Perhaps it needs more exploration.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Thank you for your wonderful blog your trips are always interesting and entertaining, you sound a lovely couple. We think we will go to Denmark and Norway next May so it would be very helpful if you could go there first and do another blog like this one. That way I won’t have to do any research.

Apr 9, 2015
🇵🇹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
I’ve absolutely loved - as always, reading about your travels. Truly inspiring and full of useful information. Can’t wait for your next trip …. any ideas yet, where your next coddiwomple will take you?

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
I’ve absolutely loved - as always, reading about your travels. Truly inspiring and full of useful information. Can’t wait for your next trip …. any ideas yet, where your next coddiwomple will take you?
No idea yet! First it’s back to the diet and exercise - I’m sure there’s bad news waiting for me on the scales!

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Where I park
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
Since 1977
Fantastic, great photos and write up. Thanks for taking the time to let us all come along on your travels.👍 To the next one. 🍻

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
We’re now past passport control & waiting for the train. The British customs chap was very treated in the van & said he’s buying a Wildax. So we have him one of @Jim’s graffiti stickers & told him to sign up for Fun!

May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 709
Exp
Learning
Fantastic post, funny entertaining and informative, look forwards to your next adventures.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Really enjoyed reading this thread as much as your others … thank you as I know it is time consuming. I’m off to try to find your blog to download for future reference now …

Aug 25, 2022
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer car
Exp
25 years
Thanks for the entertaining posts really enjoyed following your travels and I learnt a new word.
Codiwampling it suits our travels also.
Chasnam

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Have you thought of a map and a dice for your next trip? Lay the map, out roll the dice 1. Go north 2 Go south. 3 Go west 4. Go east. 5 Stay another day. 6 Have a day out within a 30 miles radius of where you are!
Lola now has a pin up of Flynn next to her bed! Thank you again for the interesting and funny travel log

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back