Jane & Rog’s Eastwards Coddiwomple (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Jane and Rog, you are going to have to get a wiggle on. When is your ferry and how many kms to Calais/Dunkerque

Currently booked for 30th July but we’re thinking of slipping it a week. We’re on the overnight ferry to Sweden (Kapellskär) on Saturday 20th, so sadly the rest of Poland will have to wait for another trip - but we will be back, with mended ankles and walking boots.

The drive from Kapellskär to Calais is about 1,200 miles. We’re prepared to rush from Hamburg onwards.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Helen Ariel I’m not that great at prices I’m afraid. I only really got any clue about the price of diesel since retiring. I still couldn’t tell you how much milk costs. From memory I’ve just paid about €2.50 for a 33cl can in Estonia. I do tend to drink trendy beers called “Reverend Scruttock’s Hoprocket” though. If I bought Lapin Kulta I could pay more like €2 for 440ml.

In restaurants it’s more like €5 for a beer and like in the UK it really doesn’t make a difference who made it or how it was delivered.

That will obviously not be the case once we get to Sweden…

Before anyone asks, diesel is €1.6/l

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
What brand/make model is Flynn? He looks like a German Wirehaired Pointer

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
I’d assumed we wouldn’t bother with any of the Estonian islands but Rog sprung a Coddiwompling Surprise and we ended up on the ferry to Muhu. We hadn’t booked, but they only sell a percentage of tickets in advance, so we got straight on with a very short wait. The crossing was just 27 minutes.

View attachment 923112

Our first stop was the Koguva Village Museum. This is a traditional Muhu farming village, now protected as an open-air museum.

View attachment 923114

I particularly liked the house displaying beautiful traditional textiles from the area, and hope I can find some embroidery designs to do when I get home. Just look at these socks…

View attachment 923116

We also saw the ancestral home of the author Juhan Smuul (1922–71), but not knowing anything about him or his books, I was more interested in the fact that he was the 19th child of a Koguva fisherman! Was he also the 19th child of the fisherman’s one and only long-suffering wife, or did several women contribute to the total?

View attachment 923118

As it was practically on our way, we also stopped to see a famous oak tree. Under Stalin’s regime in 1951, they tried to get rid of the tree to make a football field. They wrapped cables around the trunk, and tugged, but the tree refused to budge. Seeing it as a symbol of hope and resistance, the players left it there, and happily play around it to this day.

View attachment 923126

Our campsite for the night is a fantastic spot - Kõiguste Marina. This has the feel of a wild camp, but with fantastic facilities. That said, I was a bit nervous of the communal showers - luckily nobody else barged in to embarrass me.

View attachment 923127

We walked Flynn through some lovely flower meadows (fragrant orchids added to the Seek list)…

View attachment 923134

…and then barbecued catfish fillets, which were delicious.

View attachment 923135

However, pozor, pozor! Followers of Rog’s bag woes will remember that last year he left it in a restaurant in Croatia (€50 stolen), and on this trip had to do a late night emergency dash to rescue it in Slovakia. Well, bag disaster has struck again. It has been left in last night’s restaurant - they confirm they have it, so fingers crossed the contents are all there too.
I would disqualify him for bag carrying but maybe that’s his desired end goal 😇😆

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
I would disqualify him for bag carrying but maybe that’s his desired end goal 😇😆

I suspect it is, but I have already made my opinion known about whether or not he should continue to carry the man bag. I’ll leave you to guess which option I would choose.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Coddiwompling day 38: Northwards

We didn’t do too much today. The weather was intermittent raining and Jane came down with food poisoning from one or all of salmonella laced tahini, well aged halloumi or, most likely, the Denby poltergeist.

We drove a little way west to Käsmu national park, almost but not quite the northernmost bit of Estonia. I walked Flynn along the coast and back through the woods. It’s a nice park but it does breed a lot of mosquitoes. I was covered in Smidge but still got nibbled to bits.

IMG_8811.jpeg

A beach full of mosquitos

We’ve had so much downtime today, I’ve made a Relive video of the walk.

I wanted to get out onto the peninsula and walk to the island but the path only opened two days ago because birds and it’s not been cut back yet. As you can see I tried to follow it but couldn’t get further. From where I got to, I suspect it’s a low tide thing anyway.

We drove back to a nice village called Võsu in the bay parked up in their parking lot to wait the rain out. It’s a lovely village - maybe too lovely filled with expensive holiday homes for the Tallinn rich. Almost to hilight that the town has put up a lot of information boards nearly all of which tell how a local landmark was accidentally burned down or fell into the sea in the past to make way for more holiday homes.

IMG_8821.jpeg

Fell into the swamp

Flynn and I took a walk round the town and, half way though, Typhoid Jane made an appearance. Feeling much better but demanding tomato juice. The bars in Estonia don’t serve Bloody Marys (her preferred brand of tomato juice) so we had to settle on a carton from the local branch of Meie.

IMG_8825.jpeg

Võsu beach as we returned.

Thus fortified we returned to Denby for a shower and set out for a Baltic Feast at Resto Mere 38 in town. We’d just dodged another downpour but decided to sit outside, the staff helpfully wiped tables and brought cushions for us. Starters were clear fish soup (J) and alder smoked duck (R) with creamant and Estrella Damn to drink. The latter was subject to some confusion. I misheard the description and asked if it was local. “Don’t know, maybe. Or maybe Holland. I’ll check”. I told them it was Spanish and they came back with some delicious tins of local beer: “sorry, we don’t have local beer on draft… try this”. It was good.

IMG_8826.jpeg

A duck on instagram earlier today
The rain came down again so we retreated inside to the sheepskin covered cosyness for our main courses: pike perch (R) and Baltic herrings (J). The herrings we the winning dish of the evening. A couple more drinks and then fried Brie with ice cream and berries which sounds like it shouldn’t work but was very delicious.

IMG_9895.jpeg

Looks like plaice, is Brie. And delicious.

Codiwomple rating: Jane and Roger continue to rely on their native wit but do not put enough effort into their codiwompling or preparing for their end of term codiwompling exams. They will be surprised how quickly that end of term comes around.
Ankle report: overtaken in importance by food poisoning.
Food poisoning rating: better not ask.
Beer price index: Estrella €13/l. Trendy local beer €21/l 😳 luckily I didn’t drink a litre of any of them.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Just snapped this pic of Dougal, just after he's had his tea ! He's an 11 year old GWP with a bit of Lab in there somewhere. All the others in his litter were "proper" wire haired but he just came out with a hairy face, hairy chest and hairy feet just like me !
20240717_191316.jpg

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Just snapped this pic of Dougal, just after he's had his tea ! He's an 11 year old GWP with a bit of Lab in there somewhere. All the others in his litter were "proper" wire haired but he just came out with a hairy face, hairy chest and hairy feet just like me !
View attachment 924345
I love his eyebrows!

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
Thats a great meal too have after the day you have had.

Do i see baked beans in it?

If not it does go quite well😀

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Currently booked for 30th July
I thought at first you were taking about the ferry from Tallin to Stockholm and was going to say “see you there” as flying to Stockholm on the 30th!
Glad your ankle is better as you will need it for the dancing on the ferry. Do they have dog cabins? The arrival into Stockholm is fabulous from the raised position of a chair on the deck. Enjoy!

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
I thought at first you were taking about the ferry from Tallin to Stockholm and was going to say “see you there” as flying to Stockholm on the 30th!
Glad your ankle is better as you will need it for the dancing on the ferry. Do they have dog cabins? The arrival into Stockholm is fabulous from the raised position of a chair on the deck. Enjoy!

That’s 20th, i.e. over Saturday night. We’re coming into Kapellskär though :(

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Did you know that Estonia has the most erratics in Europe? These are not bad drivers, but boulders that were transplanted from Finland by glaciers 12,000 years ago.

We went on a 7.5km nature trail to look at some rocks. Here’s a small one.

IMG_9899.jpeg

Here’s the largest erratic boulder in the area, and the third largest in Estonia. It has a free-standing and very scary ladder to the top.

IMG_9902.jpeg

What can you see, just poking out by Rog’s right bum cheek?

IMG_9905.jpeg

That’s a close-up.

Yes, it’s the man bag. At least he didn’t leave it anywhere this time.

The walk also took us through forests dappled with sunshine, more sphagnum moss bog, and a sand dune topped with a viewing tower.

IMG_9907.jpeg

IMG_8855.jpeg

IMG_9910.jpeg

Here’s the relive video.

A bit of an aside. A couple of weeks ago I was complaining about Polish having too many consonants. Well, it should marry Estonian and have babies, as Estonian has far too many vowels.

How about Ajäääär – meaning edge of the ice? Or Akuuüür – monthly rent?

Maaääädness.

Tonight we’re staying at Camping Lehemaaaaaaaaaaa*, and have bagged ourselves a prime spot with our slider facing out onto the Baltic.

*OK, Lehemaa actually. Very restrained.

IMG_9918.jpeg

We’d hoped to cook lamb tonight, but once again the only choice was pork or beef - and no fresh fish, weird considering we’re about 3mm from the sea. So pork it was, and to add the veg we wanted, we made it Spanish-ish - a stew of onions, garlic, chilli, tomatoes, red peppers and chick peas.

IMG_9921.jpeg

Rog did a drone shot of the site -

Coddiwompling score: 3.1415926535
Ankle score: 2.7182818284

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread