Is this the beginning of the end for Diesel vehicles. (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
The purchase was, if I'm honest, driven by a bit of 'big boys toys' thinking - the MG HS PHEV is a very pleasant drive: purring around town, plus the acceleration of an electric motor and all the gubbins like adaptive cruise control swayed me on the test drive. 90% of our journeys are aroud 16 to 30 miles a day so the 31 miles EV is perfect, and at the time of purchase nearly half the price of diesel. Even with a generous £15K trade in on the Skoda it's costing me £230 a month, so it's not at all financially sensible. Plus, on a long motorway run oop North to see the family, or down into France, it does 37mpg on petrol.

With the manufacture of ICE cars currently set to finish in 8 years time, unless other technologies appear soon, I see the cost of buying and running them rising even more dramatically in about 5 years time. Not sure how electric cars can be made attractive to private users in the future unless electricity prices fall back to May 22 prices, particularly if on top of all the other increases the government needs to replace fuel tax.

I don't know what I'll do in 3 years time, nor do I know what the options will be. I'll be 70 then. I got 340000 miles and 17 years out of my old Picasso, so the next car may well be a low mileage diesel that I'll keep until I either can't drive any more, or can't afford to.
Thanks for more information, I can't think about 3 years time either ,but hope I can still wake up every morning for the foreseeable future 👍

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
So are you telling me that Diesel vehicles can run on heating oil?
If true we would all have been doing that (as a MUCH cheaper option than at the pumps) years ago, surely?
Same product virtually except heating oil has a dye in it .
BUSBY.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Just announced cooking oil price has gone up 65% is that due to your post or the popularity or influence of Motorhome Fun ?😅

Well who knows 🤷‍♂️

Still cheaper than at the pumps no doubt 😉😊

The old Bosch pumps will run on virtually any oil that resembles diesel 👍

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
The injector pumps on a lot of modern cars won't last long running on heating oil as it doesn't possess as much "lubricity" as diesel.
My pal runs his vintage TVO tractor on heating oil when he takes it to shows.
But maybe if you added a dash of 2 stoke you would be ok ?;)

I twin tanked a common rail Hi-lux and ran it on veg oil for several years. Totally legal, you just have to stay within your limit. I think it used to be 2000 litres a year, but it was a while ago.

During the fuel shortage which must have been in the late 90`s I ran legally on red diesel. No problems at all and great to have the roads to yourself.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
During the fuel shortage which must have been in the late 90`s I ran legally on red diesel. No problems at all and great to have the roads to yourself.

Do tell more why it was legal to run red, I love obscure facts 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back