Is this the beginning of the end for Diesel vehicles. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Fuel prices is only part of the future costs of vehicle ownership as vehicle manufacturing move to 2023 the current proposed " no more petrol or diesel vehicles" ( which I doubt)
It has been indicated to me that a proportion of the current Motorhome price rise is due to aligning the cost to future fueled vehicles this will happen over the next few years until 2030 until say costs align with Electric or whatever is used to propel a vehicles.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Diesel is a bit pricy in Greece at the moment. The other day we filled up in Finikunda, around 10am, for 1.84 Euro.
After doing a bit of shopping in the nearby town of Pylos we drove past the Finikunda filling station. The price had risen to 2.20 Euro.

The filling station owner is a decent man and commented how lucky we had been in the morning.

We paid €2.09 on Monday on Crete to fill the hire car before return. Fortunately we had not strayed very far from the villa in two weeks so it was only €43. Against that we were buying table wine at €1.75 for 0.75lt bottle - thus we did not drive much - worked out cheaper:LOL:

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Wait until HVO becomes mainstream. It's already a simple drop in replacement for red & white diesel, with many manufactures endorsing it... Merc' VAG, MAN, Volvo, Scania, Citroen, Renault etc. needs no Adblue and with a standard filter produces absolute zero emissions.
Far cheaper to produce than electric, has a 10 year shelf life and doesn't run the risk of diesel bug.

It's usable now, meets all the standards, doesn't void warranties and has a cetane number of 70.

Furry Paws

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily Bus
Exp
Since 2015
I have been reading all about HVO and Watson's Fuels seems to be the major supplier and I am trying to find out if they have pumps where we could pull into their yard and fill up? I will post when I find out. I don't have room for my own tank at home!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2013
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I-414
Exp
2002-2006, 2013-current
I was reading in the Times colour magazine today that with the increased price of electricity the cost of running an electric vehicle is getting near to a oil based fuel already-electric is cheaper for company drivers because of the government subsidies and lower BIC charges.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
I was reading in the Times colour magazine today that with the increased price of electricity the cost of running an electric vehicle is getting near to a oil based fuel already-electric is cheaper for company drivers because of the government subsidies and lower BIC charges.
Just about every person I’ve spoken to over the last few years who has an EV as a company car, has chosen it purely due to the virtually no tax as a BIK.
The better for the environment argument doesn’t enter into it.
Most don’t believe it.

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
I agree with Joe and Sue - we were encouraged to buy diesel, manufacturers spent billions developing more efficient and cleaner Diesel engines and soon after diesel oil prices rose above petrol by about 4p a litre (or was it per gallon) and now it’s always between 20p and 25p and Diesel engine owners are increasingly being demonised. Right now I have 0% faith and trust in ALL politicians. End of rant!!!!! 🤐

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
It’s the same in France. It wasn’t that long ago that fuel prices in France were about 40% cheaper than in the UK, now they are almost the same. I arrived in France this morning and on the Autoroutes it’s €2.36 a litre, at Auchan in Gueret it’s €1.91 and at LeClerc it’s €1.99. At least they have fuel at most outlets now.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
rise is due to aligning the cost to future fueled vehicles this will happen over the next few years until 2030
I read only last night that VW along with other manufacturers have got the EU to throw out the directive requiring euro 7 engines.
When i purchased a property in Menton S.o.France,the old boy left me an electric pump with a filler nozzle on a hose.Took me a while to suss' it out ,BUT he was running his old Merc' & the Wifes Renault on the heating oil,for years !! !!
Plenty here use red.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
I agree with Joe and Sue - we were encouraged to buy diesel, manufacturers spent billions developing more efficient and cleaner Diesel engines and soon after diesel oil prices rose above petrol by about 4p a litre (or was it per gallon) and now it’s always between 20p and 25p and Diesel engine owners are increasingly being demonised. Right now I have 0% faith and trust in ALL politicians. End of rant!!!!! 🤐
Us plebs need to realise that our politicians and energy suppliers are always doing their very best to keep prices down. Just ignore any talk of us being continually exploited.
Roll on the Revolution! (y)

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Locally at least (Tavistock) fuel prices at Morrisons have been at least as high as main road branded filling stations. Not always so. Since they were bought out about a year or so ago, their prices generally have been moving steadily upwards. Other supermarket fuel prices nearby like Tesco and esp Sainsburys have wavered but are often a good bit lower.
Sainsbury’s is the driving force in King’s Kynn…. Tesco, Morrisons and Asda all follow.…. In Wisbech (10 miles away) both Tesco and Morrisons are at least 5p dearer than KL. Why? There isn’t a Sainsbury’s and the Asda doesn’t sell fuel!

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
When i purchased a property in Menton S.o.France,the old boy left me an electric pump with a filler nozzle on a hose.Took me a while to suss' it out ,BUT he was running his old Merc' & the Wifes Renault on the heating oil,for years !! !!
So are you telling me that Diesel vehicles can run on heating oil?
If true we would all have been doing that (as a MUCH cheaper option than at the pumps) years ago, surely?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If true we would all have been doing that (as a MUCH cheaper option than at the pumps) years ago, surely?
I assume it was gas heating oil, aka red diesel:

Gas heating oil – also known as 35-second oil or red diesel. It's usually used in older boilers, agriculture or commercially.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

I ran my Nissan Navara on heating oil and it ran okay.

Price is down to taxation, that being 5% VAT on domestic heating oil, and 52. 95 pence a litre for road fuel and 11.14 pence a litre on red diesel.

Heating oil is basically a thinner version of diesel. Heating oil is 28 second and diesel is 35 second.
This is how it is accessed. The fuel in the holding cup is heated to 40 degrees C, and once conditions are correct, time is started and the oil allowed to pass through the orifice, once through, the time is stopped, and the number of seconds recorded. The longer the time taken, the thicker the oil and the higher the viscosity.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Its illegal to use it it's red diesel

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
It used to the case that heating oil had a higher sulfur content, which might not be good for modern diesels.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Heating oil isn't red diesel, it's lower in the distillation chain and isn't as refined to give it the consistent quality other, higher distillates are. The quality & viscosity can vary wildly.
A diesel engine will run on it due to it being a compression fuel although the carbon deposits left behind will mean a heavy maintenance bill.
Winter heating oil is best if it's to be used as road fuel as in many areas it's a different product, it's diesel mixed with kerosene.

Less than half of every 42 gallon barrel of oil goes into the refining process. Most of it goes into the production of cosmetics, textiles, plastics and products we consumers buy every day.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The injector pumps on a lot of modern cars won't last long running on heating oil as it doesn't possess as much "lubricity" as diesel.
My pal runs his vintage TVO tractor on heating oil when he takes it to shows.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Running my 2021 PHEV in electric mode on my previous tariff costs about 7.5p a mile, back in May.
Running it on my, err, current tariff costs about 14.5p a mile.
Running my previous 2019 Skoda Octavia at 58 mpg and £1.86 a litre would cost 15p a mile at £1.86 a gallon.
Saving that 0.5p is costing me around £20k over 4 years. Fortunately it's a very comfy car that I enjoy driving, and I can kid myself it offsets the 2004 Boxer soot factory, albeit not by much, on the majority of journeys as they are electric and in milk float mode.

No idea what I'm going to do in three years time, but don't expect fuel cost savings to be a factor unless things have changed dramatically.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Running my 2021 PHEV in electric mode on my previous tariff costs about 7.5p a mile, back in May.
Running it on my, err, current tariff costs about 14.5p a mile.
Running my previous 2019 Skoda Octavia at 58 mpg and £1.86 a litre would cost 15p a mile at £1.86 a gallon.
Saving that 0.5p is costing me around £20k over 4 years. Fortunately it's a very comfy car that I enjoy driving, and I can kid myself it offsets the 2004 Boxer soot factory, albeit not by much, on the majority of journeys as they are electric and in milk float mode.

No idea what I'm going to do in three years time, but don't expect fuel cost savings to be a factor unless things have changed dramatically.
Thankyou very informative and interesting, taking into account the extra cost of electric vehicles is it worth the extra or in your calculations did that include buying vehicle, as the obvious advantage it may reduce the stress on the climate chang , I not convinced that when you take into the equation things like , mining and it's pollution manufacturing, and what do we do with the waste batteries , or are they recyclable, or will they be big waste heaps that are appearing around the world of Wind Turbine Blades that seem to be unrecyclable

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I can see any older car running the old Bosch pumps becoming popular.

They are happy to run on nearly anything including ding cooking oil 😊

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Unusually Diesel in Spain is more expensive than petrol,,don't think that's happened for 25 years at least..BUSBY.
It has never happened in the 20 years I have lived here.petrol has always been far dearer
yes I'vea mate who sells vans for last 40 years .if it needs diesel it gets some from the 5k litre house tanks.
I can see any older car running the old Bosch pumps becoming popular.

They are happy to run on nearly anything including ding cooking oil 😊
Bosch pumps ruleIf stuck you used to be able to walk in any supermarket & hoover up sunflower, rapeseed,olive, whisky , anything that would ignite:LOL:
Price went up in most cash & carrys as the gov.uk put pressure on them to increase the price as everyone & his brother in the uk car world with bosch pumps were buying it by the pallet in 25l drums.It used to be you had to be there at the moment they had a delivery to get any.

Then you get those who manufacture there own from recycled waste oil.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Thankyou very informative and interesting, taking into account the extra cost of electric vehicles is it worth the extra or in your calculations did that include buying vehicle, as the obvious advantage it may reduce the stress on the climate chang , I not convinced that when you take into the equation things like , mining and it's pollution manufacturing, and what do we do with the waste batteries , or are they recyclable, or will they be big waste heaps that are appearing around the world of Wind Turbine Blades that seem to be unrecyclable
The purchase was, if I'm honest, driven by a bit of 'big boys toys' thinking - the MG HS PHEV is a very pleasant drive: purring around town, plus the acceleration of an electric motor and all the gubbins like adaptive cruise control swayed me on the test drive. 90% of our journeys are aroud 16 to 30 miles a day so the 31 miles EV is perfect, and at the time of purchase nearly half the price of diesel. Even with a generous £15K trade in on the Skoda it's costing me £230 a month, so it's not at all financially sensible. Plus, on a long motorway run oop North to see the family, or down into France, it does 37mpg on petrol.

With the manufacture of ICE cars currently set to finish in 8 years time, unless other technologies appear soon, I see the cost of buying and running them rising even more dramatically in about 5 years time. Not sure how electric cars can be made attractive to private users in the future unless electricity prices fall back to May 22 prices, particularly if on top of all the other increases the government needs to replace fuel tax.

I don't know what I'll do in 3 years time, nor do I know what the options will be. I'll be 70 then. I got 340000 miles and 17 years out of my old Picasso, so the next car may well be a low mileage diesel that I'll keep until I either can't drive any more, or can't afford to.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Diesel was £1.69 at Costco in Monday. The queue was a good 500m long. Managed to squeeze £90 in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back